I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Bad - Deep Fistula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad - Deep Fistula  (Read 6960 times)
Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« on: June 30, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I am so disappointed, my Vascular surgeon who is suppose to be the best just informed me that my fistula is too deep and that I will need to have another surgery to get it lifted because it is no way the D center will be able to get to the vein.  I asked him why he did not explain that to me after the surgery instead of waiting for me to come back and get more bad news.  I am so disappointed and I am going to find another Doctor and Hospital to go for my care.  I have had it with this hospital.  I did everything they told me to do and they knew it was probably a waste of time.  I told you I was not feeling anything, no thumping, vibrating or nothing.  I don't know what to do now, he says if I have to go on emergency D, i will have to have a Perm Cath put in.  This is so crazy, as soon as I get back from vacation, will be looking for another Doctor.  I am beyond pissed. Anyone else out there who had two failed surgeries.  What is next, I am afraid to ask this question.  I do not want a perm cath, or what ever you call it.  My GFR is 15 as of today and I am scared as heck. Scared to sleep, scared to eat, scared to do anything that will make me sick and cause my kdiney to speed up.  This is just to stressful

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »

I have to have the same surgery that you do , but im having it all in one go !  I could have had the fistula made first , like you, then once we knew it was working had it lifted or chance having it all done at once. Ive decide to chance it , rather than 2 ops. I have a perm cath in now , not much you can do about that im afraid, if you need it , you need it !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:47:56 AM »

Jenna had a permacath for 6 months while she had fistula surgery (1st failed, second time with a different vascular surgeon, worked great) and she had no problems with the permacath. I know people who have had them for a couple years. Don't be afraid - if you need it - it will give easy access while you sort out the fistula situation. I am sorry you've been through 2 surgeries, you have every right to feel frustrated. Just a suggestion: the first vascular surgeon was a referral through the hospital - big mistake, The next one was through the dialysis nurses (they know who does a good job and who doesn't.) Good luck!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:07 AM »

Okarol is right about asking a dialysis nurse for the name of a good surgeon.  My mother's first fistula failed; she was on a cath for 18 months before she changed surgeons and got a fabulous fistula; her dialysis nurse told her to go back to the vascular surgeon who had repaired her aortic aneurysm.  She did, and the rest is history.  Good suggestion!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cookie2008

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

I had numerous surgeries I know and understand how you feel.  If your fistula is working even though it is deep, why not just have it lifted it will be healed  in about 1 to 2 months.  I had 3 surgeries on my right arm by 2 different vascular surgeons none of the surgeries worked.  Had about 5 permacaths thru out.  I had an avfistula put in my left upper arm and this one turned out beautiful but it was to deep and the nurses was having a terrible time placing my needles so I asked the vascular surgeon to lift it and he agreed my scar is from elbow to arm pit but I dont care because it works and it is a beautiful lifeline scar, and my husband Dave puts my needles in at home on Nxstage. Best of luck with what you decide.  Cookie :grouphug; :grouphug;

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »

My neph refered me to mine, the weird thing is his partner is an idiot, so yeah go with your neph or dialysis nurse.
I had two permcaths, one got infected, but luckily it got infected after they were using my access so was going to come out anyways.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Zog

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:03:16 AM »

Don't be afraid of a perma cath.  When my wife was pregnant her fistula had only been in for a few months and was too deep.  They didn't want to revise it because she was pregnant.  We had to use a permacath for 13 months.  Our daughter's birthday was determined by the day her catheter got infected.  The only reason it was infected is because the hospital exchanged it a few days earlier because the first one was clogged with fibrin.  If you do have a perma cath, keep it clean, make sure everyone is wearing masks, fresh gloves and soaks it well in Exsept before use.  Check your temperature and blood pressure if you feel off.  Fever + Low Blood Pressure = Infection = Sepsis = Septic Shock = Dead soon.  We fortunately were able to stop the infection with Vancomycin before Jenn went into Septic Shock.

Her "deep" fistula was deep because of a stenosis (vein narrowing) in her armpit and the fistula didn't mature (get big).  They put four stents in it and it got big enough to stick, however it stopped working well about two months ago and Jenn had to have a basilic vein transposition, basically a new fistula (same arm though).  She has a cath in her leg now while the new fistula matures.  Her father (a transplant patient) never had a good fistula and had to get a graft.  Jenn's first fistula that she got as a teen was created using a transplanted vein from her leg into her wrist in a procedure our current surgeon had never heard of.  Everyone's veins are different and different at different times in their life.

I hope everything turns out well for you.  Think carefully before you decide to switch horses in the middle of the race.  You may be back to square one if you go somewhere else.  A whole new work up of fistulograms is not cheap.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
VictoriaG

always happy <3

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »

i definetly agree with asking the dialysis staff about the best surgeon- that's how we found ours.

and i do understand people not wanting to get a permacath! first off, no showers or swimming, but mainly the risk of infection- been there, done that, husband shook hands with his maker! plus the dialysis is much better with a mature fistula than a permacath and we have the labs to prove it.

there is a patient in our dialysis center who has a very deep fistula- they order special needles just for him, but it's hard for the less experienced staff to find. it's a shame that people should have to suffer with less than good fistulas. as if the needles and dialysis aren't bad enough!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »