I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Activated ...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Activated ...  (Read 2495 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: June 25, 2010, 05:25:43 AM »

Blokey found out that as of yesterday he's active on the transplant list. 

Yay!

(So, despite the fact that it could be years before he gets 'the call', should we be keeping a bag full of necessities by the front door?)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:26 AM »

I have a list of phone numbers and a small satchel of stuff ready in case I get the call. Good luck to you both.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:36:50 AM »

You will know when you get close to the top 15 or so because you will start being called up for monthly bloods.

Yeah!!!!!!!

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »

You will know when you get close to the top 15 or so because you will start being called up for monthly bloods.

Yeah!!!!!!!

don't know about the UK, but here it doesn't work like that. EVer since I started D we've had bi-monthly transplant bloods so they always have a sample on file to use for cross matching, etc. I've never heard of going to monthly if you're near the top.. and because the list (here, anyway) is geared to matches rather than being that linear I don't think there ever is like a "top 15" list here... excepting for any particular organ that comes up - the top matches will change for each organ depending on the HLA matches and all that stuff.

Poppy - GREAT NEWS !!!!!  :clap; :yahoo; :clap; :bow;

re a bag.. yeah I have a half hearted bag packed with some pj's and some spare power cables for gadgets (phone, ipod) but really that's about it. I mean when I think about it (and know that I live literally across the road from the hospital!) that if I got the call you still have a few hours to get there and if I'm at home well that's a no brainer, so I still have time to throw the toothbrush in. What else would I really need? a big book maybe... and anything else my family could get for me. Sometimes I feel a bit stupid even having a bag there.. like I'm expecting it any minute (and it hasn't happened in 4 years....) but yeah I'd be lying if I said I didn't have something kind of prepared....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:58:59 AM »

Fantastic news Ms Licious!   :beer1;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »

Great news!     Regarding the bag:  When I was first listed, I had things ready to go.  I bought new pajamas, had toiletries packed, phone numbers, etc.   After the first year, I decided to wear the new pj's.  Second year moved the bag back to the closet.   And then someone here made the statement that anything you needed could be picked up at WalMart on the way or by someone else.   If my call ever comes, there is time to grap a couple of things. 

And here, I have a blood draw every month for the transplant center. 

My advice? Celebrate being on the list     :bestwishes;    That is a great accomplishment!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »

Congrats to you both, Poppy. :cheer:

My centre said that in the case of kidneys, they have a looooong span of time with which to work. So much so that they claim they do not do the dramatic 2AM phone calls anymore - that if a kidney comes in middle of the night, they will assemble the team and patient first thing in the morning. Don't know if that's true, but I can tell you I spent 2 1/2 years on the list and never bothered with a bag. (I also did not pack a bag in anticipation of delivering either of my children. I'm not much for planning.)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »

That's just fantastic news!  What are the two of you going to do to celebrate?!!!  It's wonderful!

I had abdominal surgery about 18 months ago (nothing renal) and packed my little bag before hand.  Took it with me on the surgery day, and I found that I didn't use a single thing out of it.  Won't bother again.  The hospital had all the toiletries I needed.  And hospital gowns really are easier to deal with, in my opinion.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »

I just had my transplant after being on the list for 3 years.  I had time to pack a bag but you only need maybe a brush and a toothbrush.  Now days they try to get you out of the hospital as soon as possible, and as someone else said, you family and friend can bring you what you need.   

To me it's stressful to pack for something that could possible be years away.  I tried not to think about it too much.  I prayed about it and forgot about it during the day.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »

I always kept a packed bag in my truck at all times.

Now I keep one incase I have to go to the hosppital.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012