I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  blood pressure cuff on fistula arm
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blood pressure cuff on fistula arm  (Read 39625 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »

If the cuff is up over the higher arm and your fistual is on the lower arm, what's the reason for caution on that arm. because the BP cuff cuts  off the blood flow temporarily for a few seconds or something? i always wondered about that. i can see not putting it directly on fistula Hhmmmm...

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:58:10 PM »

Just not worth the risk, is all.  No, it might not hurt it.  But for the 5 seconds it takes for the nurse to walk to the other side of the hospital bed, is it worth risking another surgery and losing an access spot?  Those are a limited commodity, which makes them very, very valuable.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:57:53 PM »

NO BAD NEVER BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A cuff should NEVER be on the fistula arm. Compression on the blood vessels is bad karma and shouldn't be done.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »

I agree. Pamper the fistula arm!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:10:01 AM »

The pressure that the arm is under during the taking of the BP can rupture or tear a fistula. That is why you need to take care of the arm with the fistula by not picking up something heavy or pressing on the fistula.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
silverhead

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:49 AM »

Think about it, quite often when a nurse cannot "find" a vein during a blood draw they put a tourniquet on the upper arm, then the veins usually "Pop" out, You definitely do not need that to happen to the Fistula......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »

The only cuff one should wear are french cuffs.    ::)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »

I had a friend do that and the buzzing stopped the bp from reading.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
PVUgrad

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 07:38:28 PM »

I couldn't believe it. My husband had his first dialysis treatment today, was returned to his room, (he is in the hospital) and the nurse took his BP on his fistula arm!! As I walked in, I about had a heart attack!! I just pray she didn't so any damage to it.  :(

Some days you are the windshield...
Some days you are the bug.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »

Gah!  Jeez!  :stressed;
Did you say anything?
ps:  love your signature.  Currently, I am the bug.  ;D

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
carol1987

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »

I couldn't believe it. My husband had his first dialysis treatment today, was returned to his room, (he is in the hospital) and the nurse took his BP on his fistula arm!! As I walked in, I about had a heart attack!! I just pray she didn't so any damage to it.  :(

Don't they but a bracelet on with a warning not to take BP or draw blood in that arm?  Everytme I have been in the hospital they have put a bright pink bracelet on my fistula arm with the warning in BOLD writing!!

Ask your hospital why they don't use those....

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:51 AM »

Don't they but a bracelet on with a warning not to take BP or draw blood in that arm?  Everytme I have been in the hospital they have put a bright pink bracelet on my fistula arm with the warning in BOLD writing!!

My local hospital in the UK does exactly the same, plus a notice over my bed.

You do live in Georgia, USA and not Georgia Europe?  :laugh:

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
brandi1leigh

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »

Ask your hospital why they don't use those....

I live in Texas and they never put a don't use bracelet on my fistula. My mom and I have to very vigilant to make sure they don't use that arm. But I love the idea of a bracelet. I might make one myself the next time I go to the the hospital.
greg10

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:21 AM »

You should not put an arm-cuff blood pressure monitor on a fistula arm.  However a wrist-cuff blood pressure monitor is pretty safe unless your fistula is actually near the wrist area.  The pressure applied is over a much smaller area with the wrist-cuff than the arm-cuff.  Wrist-cuff BP monitor can be accurate if used properly and they are quite portable such that you can bring your own and not share one with the other patients who used it at the dialysis center.  One should always be wary of possible MSRA transmission through any means, including any object you come into prolong contact at the dialysis center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzoueoXTRFs

Wrist-cuff monitors are usually factory set up to use the left wrist, however most of them can also be reprogrammed to use the right wrist.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:36:26 AM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »

You need to talk to the nursing coordinator on the floor NOW!  A sign should be over the bed saying not to do anything on that fistula arm!  Oh my God!  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
PVUgrad

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »

You need to talk to the nursing coordinator on the floor NOW!  A sign should be over the bed saying not to do anything on that fistula arm!  Oh my God!  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

There was a sign! When I walked in I was like "Get that off" and pointed at the sign. Her reply was, "Oh I didn't look up there (over his head).
I agree, I like the idea of a bracelet, just like they do for allergic to some meds. But folks, this is a VA hospital.... :(

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »

they put a sign over the bed at the hospital I go to as well.  I was always very vigilant when it came to protecting my fistula when I was a kid, even though it was never used.  I'm even more so now, because it is my life line...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Mizar

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »

My Husband wears a Med Alert Bracelet. I had it Engraved on the Back " NO BP IN LEFT ARM "  Whenever he has been Admitted, to the Hospital, before I leave, I find His Nurse and tell Her, " I want a Sign, over His Bed, saying, No BP or Sticks in Left Arm "  If a Sign, like that is not Noticed, then Someone, is not doing Their Job.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

I've heard the following suggestion for when people with fistulas go into any kind of surgery:  get a felt tipped pen (e.g. surgical pen) and write on his arm:  No BP this arm.
Might be an idea here?

Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
PVUgrad

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »

My Husband wears a Med Alert Bracelet. I had it Engraved on the Back " NO BP IN LEFT ARM "  Whenever he has been Admitted, to the Hospital, before I leave, I find His Nurse and tell Her, " I want a Sign, over His Bed, saying, No BP or Sticks in Left Arm "  If a Sign, like that is not Noticed, then Someone, is not doing Their Job.

Exactly! I got word that is staying until at least Wed. Taking a felt tip pen and writing on his arm, AND talking to the nurse manager as it almost happened again today, because the nurse read HER left, not his. :(

silverhead

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »

Whenever Sharon went into the hospital I used the felt Tip pen and wrote "Do Not Use" in large letters on that arm, signs on the door and over the bed just do not get read.......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »

I like Silverhead's version: "Do Not Use" might be better:  cos its not just "no BP" right?  Also no blood tests, no needles.

5 weeks Haemo 2012

RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »

I wear a MedicAlert necklace that says "NO BP CUFF OR NEEDLES ON RT ARM" and  "MED LIST IN WALLET"

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
PVUgrad

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »

Excellent idea! Need to change his medic alert now that he has started dialysis.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »

When I was in the hospital post transplant there was a big sign over the bed - something like "LEFT AVF - NO BLOODS/BP" and on the actual arm near the elbow was a bright green sticker taped there basically saying the same thing.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »