I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Basilic Vein Transposition
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Basilic Vein Transposition  (Read 7413 times)
Zog

« on: June 21, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

Has anyone here had their fistula revised using a basilic vein transposition (BVT)?  Jenn is in surgery now having that done.  Her cephalic vein has been blocked for a few months, so this is what they have decided to do.  There is a some chance they may put a graft in there, but they wouldn't make a decision until they attempted a BVT.  Thoughts and prays needed and appreciated.  Thanks! 

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »

I have not heard of this!  I'd be interested to read others' comments, though.  Until then, I hope Jenn does well during the surgery and that this procedure will solve the problem.  I don't even know what a cephalic vein is.  Anything you could post to enlighten me as to the exact nature of her difficulty would be much appreciated.  Anything I can learn about fistulas is worth knowing.

:cuddle; to you both.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »

That's what they plan for Jenna. She had vein mapping and they decided she could have a submerged basilic vein raised up to connect to the artery as a fistula. It's a larger incision so recovery is a little longer. We have to get her wisdom teeth pulled first, then we will schedule the fistula. Here's more info http://www.acssurgery.com/acs/wnChapters/WN0626.htm

Best wishes to Jenn, I hope all works out and she's got a long-term working fistula!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
totosidney

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »

I have had this procedure, a basilic vein transpostion with an AV fistula creation. It was good for 10 years and gave me very few problems. It is upper arm.  Sid
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »

Yes, I've had it done on both arms.  The first arm they did it one surgery.  I had a scar from my elbow to my arm pit.  I about fainted when I saw it.  I thought who the hell let jack the ripper out!  This next one he did a small incision down by the elbow and did the connection and is letting it mature.  Then we go and raise it and that is when I'll have another scar from my elbow to my arm pit. 

Hope Jen and Jenna do well.  Not fun but necessary.               :waving;

Zog

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »

They were able to move the vein without any problems.  They say it will be 3 weeks before she can use it.  She is waiting to get a catheter in her leg.  They didn't want to put another one in her chest since she has already had a few there.  Her hemoglobin dropped to 5 from a preop level of 11.  They gave her 3 units of blood last night.  She has been sleeping most to the day.  She does have a long incision like Rerun's first one.  It is held together with staples and her arm is covered with gauze like a mummy.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »

Yes, I've had it done on both arms.  The first arm they did it one surgery.  I had a scar from my elbow to my arm pit.  I about fainted when I saw it.  I thought who the hell let jack the ripper out!  This next one he did a small incision down by the elbow and did the connection and is letting it mature.  Then we go and raise it and that is when I'll have another scar from my elbow to my arm pit. 

Hope Jen and Jenna do well.  Not fun but necessary.               :waving;

Looks like that is what i have got to look forward too ! Only im getting mine all done in one go !
How long did it take to recover? and how long before you could use that arm after surgery ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Zog

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »

Rerun, how long did it take to recover use of your arm.  Jenn can't bend hers now and has a hard time lifting it. 

1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 05:06:13 PM »

I actually did better before I took off the gauze and saw the incision/scar!  Then I had to lay on the couch for days and not look at it.  But a "normal" person should recover better than I did.  You need to wait until the staples get out.  I remember my hardest part was reaching for things.  I could only reach half way before something pulled.  It did get better and I can reach just fine now.  But, that takes months.  I didn't lift anything more then 5 or 6 pounds for a long time.  Then pretty soon you just forget you had surgery on that arm and you do normal things.  But, you should not lift too much with a fistula arm.

:waving;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »