I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:25:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Go stick yourself
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Go stick yourself  (Read 1684 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: June 19, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »

I know that there are a fair amount of IHDers who have self-cannulated from the very beginning, and I see the value of being able to do that.  But how realistic is it?  It just seems that by the time you need D, you're in a right state; how can you possibly absorb so much information and stick needles into yourself when you are so ill and scared?  Do you take lessons of some sort before you know you have to start?  When I try to imagine it, I can't say that I get particularly freaked out by the idea of it, but I do wonder if I will feel physically capable of doing it.  Would any of you please share your thoughts/experiences in this regard?  Thanks!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
totosidney

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »

I have stuck myself for years, but I did not start out that way. I never imagined it at first. In my case it was after about 3 years that I even heard about it. No one at my center self stuck. I tried it with close supervision and it wasn't really any big deal. There was a considerable fear factor to overcome. After that I was most always the new techs' first stick because I could guide them. The big plus is that if you scew up and infiltrate, well there is no one to blame but yourself...Sid
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »

I've been offered self-cannulation in conjunction with the buttonhole method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ed9DifSmU

Buttonhole shouldn't hurt as much after the channels are fully developed.

Ask your dialysis staff about self-cannulation with the buttonhole method.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »

Nope, not right from the beginning.  I was needle phobic at the beginning, and nearly fainted when they were pulling them at the end of every session.  I did get through that with time and effort, though.

The fear of sticking the needle the first time is the worst part.  The actual mechanics of it aren't that complicated.  I figured if millions of drug addicts could find a vein whilst stoned out of their minds, I could manage to find a honking big nylon tube in my arm that had a visible outline under my skin.  I think it hurts less to do it yourself.  You are focused on getting it in, so you don't feel the needle stick as much.  You quickly learn the right angle, so there's no "fishing" around with the needle tip like the nurses have to do, and you can feel it inside and outside, so there's less chance of infiltrating.

If you are feeling overwhelmed and doing in-center, then let the nurses start you off.  Those who have started self-cannulating right from the beginning are usually starting with home hemo, and have had plenty of time to get used to the idea and practice on an artificial arm/fistula.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:27:34 AM »

I never had the urge to stick myself.  However, Epoman was a great advocate of self-sticking.  He really encouraged it.  Check out some of his old posts on the matter.  Only one dialysis patient at my unit used to stick herself. However, she doesn't do it anymore because the access site was moved to a place which is less convenient for her.  I don't even look when I am being stuck so I could hardly do it myself.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Jie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »

The home HD dialysis requires about 3 weeks of training. Self-sticking should be a part of training.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »