I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Listed!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listed!  (Read 1608 times)
JScott1753

« on: June 14, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »

Just a quick note to say I have received the confirmation letter from the local transplant clinic--as of last Monday, June 7, I am on their waiting list. :2thumbsup;
  Today marks one week waiting credit!
  I am now listed with two local UNOS districts in my area.
  Only 3.7 years to go, based on my blood type.   ::)
  Jon
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »

Oh, that is just fantastic news!!!  So, what happens next?  I know you have to wait, but apart from that, what's next?  What do you have to do to STAY on the list?  Do you get some sort of special list of instructions?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »

Great news, Jon!

Galvo
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »

Awesome!  :thumbup;
JScott1753

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

According to the letter, by May of next year I will need to get another cardiac stress test. Shortly after that, they will let me know when I will be meeting with one of the doctors for a periodic checkup and to discuss the results of the stress test. Also, each month from now on I will be submitting blood so they can check it. Whether I can do it through my clinic will have to be determined, since they apparently send a kit to your home, which is interesting. Might be difficult, since I'm  single, but we'll figure it all out.
  One nice thing is that even though for me the normal wait time "averages" 3.7 years, if a good kidney becomes available, who knows, maybe next week, hm? Who knows?
  Jon
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »

Congratulations! :yahoo;

They do send a kit to your home, but there should be instructions on having that kit sent to your dialysis unit. I see you are in CA. State law says that you cannot take a blood sample out of a lab, so the unit should draw the blood and ship it out for you. Here in the midwest, we have no such law, so I got to take my vials home, wrap them in biohazard packing and tape, and walk them straight to the post.

Only 3.7 years in CA - I suspect I know which blood type you have, and it's a good one! Best of luck! :cheer:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »

My center supplies me with the red top tubes, and a prepaid mailing package. I go to my local lab, they draw the blood, package and drop it in the mail.   Simple. 

Congratulations on getting listed.     :2thumbsup;        I just had my 4th round of yearly retests today to stay active on the list.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »