I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Retiring nurse is a teacher, friend to patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Retiring nurse is a teacher, friend to patients  (Read 1248 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 30, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

Retiring nurse is a teacher, friend to patients

May 22, 2010

By title, Barb Byer, the kidney transplant coordinator at the University of Rochester Medical Center, is an adult nurse practitioner.

In reality, she's also a teacher, and part of her job is to make the medical understandable, to let patients know in clear and unthreatening terms, what they need to know to live.

But Byer, who is 65 and about to retire after a 43˝-year career at the center, says she's learned much from her patients, many of whom have been returning for check-ups and other procedures for years.

"You learn how to make the best of a bad situation," says Byer, who lives in Fairport. "You learn how to be a survivor."

Byer was visiting with one of those survivors in the center's main cafeteria on Wednesday, as Terri Spiller, 51, of Chili, had stopped by.

Spiller's kidneys went bad when she was 17. She retained water, putting on 43 pounds, and was on dialysis for nine months before she received a kidney donated by her father.

The kidney lasted 16 years. A second, donated by her sister, lasted 10 years. A third, donated by a cousin, is working now.

Spiller says that in the beginning, and sometimes later when new hurdles arrived, she was defiant, reluctant to do what some of her caregivers advised.

"I was scared," she says. "But Barb helped me through that. She listens to patients. She doesn't force anything on them."

Byer says it's a matter of passing along the right information: "Patients need to know why they should do something. And they need to know you aren't going to abandon them."

Byer grew up in Irondequoit and went to high school at Nazareth Academy in the city. As she was about to graduate, she debated whether to become a nurse or a teacher.

It cost less to study nursing, so she enrolled in a three-year program at St. Joseph's Hospital in Syracuse. Upon graduation, she took a job at Strong Memorial Hospital.

Especially after she joined the transplant unit, she realized that she was also an educator, someone who explains things to patients.

"Nurses are teachers," she says. "That's what we do."

Through the years, Byer went back to school, picking up bachelor's and master's degrees, as well as her certification as a nurse practitioner.

She does what she can to pass along the life-saving message that kidney donations are needed, as people on the list for cadaver kidneys can expect to wait years before receiving a transplant.

Spiller was fortunate to receive living donor kidneys.

She has had other medical problems, but she was able to marry and have children.

"Terri has been a product of advances in kidney–disease treatment," says Byer, whose last day of work is this coming Friday.

"And I can't tell you what a blessing she's been in my life. I feel like I've made a difference."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100522/NEWS0202/5220331/-1/COLUMNS/Retiring-nurse-is-a-teacher--friend-to-patients

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

We need more nurses like Barb Byer in our hospitals and our units.  I hope she has a peaceful and satisfying retirement.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »