I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  ‘A place of refuge for those who have given so much'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ‘A place of refuge for those who have given so much'  (Read 1460 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »

Fisher House officially opens
‘A place of refuge for those who have given so much'
Comments

May 29, 2010
By MARIO BARTOLETTI staff writer

The newest Fisher House and the first in Illinois was officially dedicated Friday at the Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital located between Broadview and Maywood.

Gov. Pat Quinn, Sen. Dick Durbin, VA Assistant Secretary Tammy Duckworth, and Fisher House Foundation Chairman Kenneth Fisher spoke at the ribbon-cutting.

“It is hard to believe today we dedicate the 44th (Fisher) house,” Fisher said. “(But) there is no better time to do this than now for Memorial Day weekend, when we remember the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice.”

Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran who was wounded when the helicopter she was flying was shot down, said she stayed at a Fisher House.

“You don't see the families at first, just evidence that they were there because the person they love is so badly wounded they are spending days at their bedside,” Duckworth said. “You see their wet laundry. You dry it and fold it for them and when you eat dinner you make another plate so when they come through the door at 2 a.m. there is food for them and a note: ‘Hang in there. You're going to make it.'”

The Fisher House program is a nonprofit public-private partnership and serves as a temporary home away from home for military families so they can support their wounded loved one through their rehabilitation; there is no charge for any family to stay at a Fisher House operated by the Department of Veteran's Affairs.

Duckworth spoke of how she learned to use her hands again to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for her husband while they were at Fisher House.

“But that was all I could make him before so it was fine,” she said. “But it was a victory for me because I couldn't use my arm. Someone else's mother held the jar for me, and someone else's daughter gave me the bread. And I know you will take care of these families the way I was taken care of.

“The hospital saved my life. Fisher House taught me how to live again.”

Hines Director Sharon Helman said Hines is one of the largest VA facilities in the system and the hospital has treated thousands of veterans.

“We treat injury and illness,” Helman said. “Families sacrifice along with our veterans. Fisher house treats the whole family.”

Gov. Quinn said when Fisher saw a military family forced to sleep in their car just to visit their loved one in the hospital, he got involved in creating the homes. “No words can sum up how important it is to have your family there when you're wounded,” Quinn said.

Director of the Army Staff Lt. Gen. David Huntoon quoted poet Robert Frost: “Home is the place where, when you go there, they have to take you in.”

“Fisher House takes our family into a place of respite and refuge for those who have given so much to our nation,” Huntoon said. “Thank you for what you do each and every day and for caring so deeply about those who need so much.”

Huntoon said he was grateful on behalf of the armed forces for the compassionate professionalism of the staff and for caring so deeply about those who need so much.

The anxiety of the parents are calmed by the comforting surroundings of this symbolic home, Huntoon said, and there is the pure relief of the soldier who knows his family is well taken care of so that he or she can concentrate on mending their body and soul.

“Thank you for this magnificent symbol of hope,” he said.

Director of the Illinois VA Dan Grant said Fisher House was also a symbol of community. “What it embodies is what we need when serving Illinois families: a partnership with the government, the VA, the private sector, non-profits, the people in the community,” he said. “That's what makes these truly amazing sanctuaries.”

Many community members were instrumental in raising funds and donating to make the home possible, Fisher said.

Eagle Scout William Dawes from Woodridge collected toys, books and DVDs to stock the shelves. “I'm glad, and very proud, he took this as his project,” his grandfather Army veteran Bill Tomsovic said. “I was not in combat, but I lost quite a few friends in the wars. A lot of my buddies were wounded. This means a lot to me.”

Gary St. Clair of the 501c charity the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association said Fisher House is part of veterans helping veterans.

“We help ourselves, other veterans, and veterans homes,” St. Clair said. “Fisher house is the charity everyone raises money for.”

Maywood American Legionnaire Willie C. Meeks, an Air Force veteran, lives just 10 blocks away.

“I've always said we've needed a place like this for guys to recuperate and redirect themselves,” Meeks said.

Fisher House Director Holly Wright said the dedication was the culmination of years of hard work.

“I'm always amazed at all the people who come and just want to help. They donate time or items we need or food so people don't have to worry about making meals,” Wright said. “It is wonderful to see our community rallying together to raise funds to provide comfort and support for the families who reside here.”

Carol Thomas from Glenwood, Ill., is living there now supporting her husband through kidney dialysis. She said she was at her worst on her birthday, when her husband had both his kidneys removed and she spent the entire day in the intensive care unit at his side.

“When I came back the staff had made me a birthday cake,” Thomas said. “With candles and a teddy bear. Being at Fisher is a blessing for me.”

Thomas said the families support each other and it's almost like a therapy group, they can hug and cry on each other's shoulders. “At Fisher House even though I'm away from home,” she said. “I'm home.”

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/maywood/news/2333050,maywood-fisher-house-052910-s1.article

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »