I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Could it be the ginger??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could it be the ginger??  (Read 4103 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »

Some of you would know that from late last year until earlier this year I had been having problems with low BP although I am hypertensive.  No one could give me any reason why it would be low.  Well, this year my BP started up very high.  Again, no apparent reason.  Well, I realized something - those months that my BP was low was the months when the beverage of choice at my home was 'ginger beer' - a mixture of ginger and lime or lemon.  At work I even used to buy a ginger beer soda. 
Then a friend of my daughter's came to live with us until she found an apartment.  I stopped making ginger beer as she didn't like it.  She left a month ago.  Last week, I made some ginger drink.  When I went to dialysis, my BP was much nearer normal.  I then saw the pattern.  I googled it, and found that ginger is considered as lowering BP!!
I had to laugh, because my daughter used to say that my daddy thought ginger tea could cure anything, even AIDS!
I will be starting to drink it again, but carefully since my BP became far too low.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »

That is very interesting. In the oriental restaurants in Hawaii, a lot of them drown the food in ginger and they look pretty darned healthy to me. Hmmm. Worth a try.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »

My new low BP is a mystery too.  I don't think I'm eating.... oh wait...  I've been eating ginger cookies!

I wonder??   ???    WOW that could be!

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »

Rerun when you say ginger cookies, do you mean gingersnaps? That would be awesome, if it worked. I love gingersnaps.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:16:11 AM »

Yes, gingersnaps a couple of different kinds.  I started eating them around Christmastime because that is when they come out.  Then this store keeps making them and putting them out with this white/clear glaze on them.  They are wonderful and I can eat them.... well, I can eat them more than I can eat Chocolate Chip or Peanut Butter Cookies. (renal diet wise)

Dianejt

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »

I add fresh ginger to my chicken soup base. Since I've stopped using salt (boxed or can broth) it (ginger) adds so much flavor to the broth.

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
AIRon

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »

I have been drinking a lot of ginger ale here latley. I will have to keep a look out for the BP it probably isn't the same since it is porcaria in a can.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:26:07 PM »

'Gingersnaps' brought back a load of memories.  Daddy would bring them home on weekends.  Those things were addictive.  You couldn't stop until you finished all!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
murf

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

Ginger is supposed to be a medicinal It is reputed to be wonderful for motion sickness. I drink Twining's lemon and ginger tea. Will keep an eye on my BP in the future afterwards.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »

I am thinking maybe all of this is correct. Two or three days of 5 gingersnaps a day, doing good, and then had to take a lasix. Wowie, the BP dropped like a rock. Lower than it has been in about 10 years. Low enough to make me wobbly all over the place. So, maybe better keep a close eye on this formula.

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »

Ginger is supposed to be a medicinal It is reputed to be wonderful for motion sickness. I drink Twining's lemon and ginger tea. Will keep an eye on my BP in the future afterwards.

Yes, Mythbusters confirmed this.  I always keep a bottle of ginger capsules in my car.  In case we go out on a boat or take the windy roads up to the mountains.  The kids swear it works great for motion sickness. 
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:41:06 AM »

I am thinking maybe all of this is correct. Two or three days of 5 gingersnaps a day, doing good, and then had to take a lasix. Wowie, the BP dropped like a rock. Lower than it has been in about 10 years. Low enough to make me wobbly all over the place. So, maybe better keep a close eye on this formula.

Jean ..you have been eating 5 gingersnaps a day and your bp has dropped ?  What is lasix? and did that have anything to do with it ?  High bp has haunted me for years despite everything ! When you say gingersnaps  do you mean what we call over here brandysnaps? (no actual brandy in them !)  I hate ginger in any form except biscuits ,thats the one way i can take it !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:13 AM »

What is lasix? and did that have anything to do with it ? 

I bet you already take it KS!

It's what we call Furosemide.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

Ah thats what it is ..oh no i havent taken that for years !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »

Wow, that's pretty interesting about the ginger. How is the condition of your heart been? The low Bp can have a lot to do with your heart and it's output weather low or high. Anemia can also be another cause of Bo. Just saying lol

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
totosidney

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:02:14 AM »

I did a quick search and found what seems to be a dependable article on Ginger from U of Maryland Med Center: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm
It doesn't seems low blood pressure is mentioned. But you tell your Doc.    :urcrazy; Sid
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36:16 AM »

Well, now that you mention the heart..... I did have a heart attack in 2007. No pain, just indigestion and a heavy feeling in my chest, then had trouble breathing. Now, on Thursday, same thing happened, only this time I was trying to vomit. Took a nitro pill and in 2 minutes flat all symptoms were gone. Same thing again this morning. Soooooo on Monday aft I will have an EKG, and maybe some blood work. Kind of scary for me. I sure hope this is all in my head. Will let you know.

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 05:32:52 AM »

Well, now that you mention the heart..... I did have a heart attack in 2007. No pain, just indigestion and a heavy feeling in my chest, then had trouble breathing. Now, on Thursday, same thing happened, only this time I was trying to vomit. Took a nitro pill and in 2 minutes flat all symptoms were gone. Same thing again this morning. Soooooo on Monday aft I will have an EKG, and maybe some blood work. Kind of scary for me. I sure hope this is all in my head. Will let you know.

Jean , will you read my question for you further up the page please .

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »