I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Missed my NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missed my NxStage  (Read 2654 times)
cookie2008

« on: May 17, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »

On 5/12 I was put in the hospital with a surface infection on my arm thankfully it did not effect my fistula strong antibiotics, On 5/14 they told me my labs were so good I could skip dialysis, we didnt they took me down and I did 4 hours of hemo what a difference, the next day a different neph came in and told me since I do it daily he had me do another 3 hours of hemo, they put me back on all my restrictions, wiped me out, got out on 5/16 back to my NxStage and no restrictions and my regular neph. :bandance; :ba

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
Zog

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »

Hospitals don't understand daily dialysis.  If they did, 3 times/week would be seen as inadequate. Especially for someone trying to get well.  However, your hospital seems to be odd in that they let you do dialysis two days in a row.  Unfortunate for you it seems, that they didn't modify their machine to do a gentle NxStage-like treatment.  They put Jenn on the renal diet every time she goes into the hospital.  If they only knew what daily dialysis does.  Old fashioned neph's like to brag about urea clearance from their machines like it is your only problem.  There's more to life than urea clearance.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:01:58 AM »

I heartily agree Zog!  Last week when hubby was in the hospital and they dialyzed him, they would not listen when we gave his dry weight.  The fact that he was below his dry weight when they hooked him up didn't seem to faze them.  They set their machine to pull another 2 kilos over our continual objections.  I fiinally caught up with his neph who was making rounds and asked him to stop them from pulling fluid, which he immediately did.  Of course it p*ssed off the tech but...oh well.  I tried to explain that we do daily hemo at home and he had been sick but...it fell on deaf (or dumb) ears. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
LoneHighway

OTR Trucker, Off-Grid in New Mexico

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »

This is probably what I fear most about starting all this, having to deal with medical "professionals," so many of whom just can't get it through their heads that patients can know more than they do about their own condition and what needs to be done.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »