I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 03:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I got a letter from my donor's family!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I got a letter from my donor's family!!!!!!!!  (Read 17187 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »

Okay, packing away the picture of my beautiful donor to move it to my new place finally got my butt in gear.  Here's what I mailed out, minus names.  I typed it out so I could get it right, but I hand wrote it in the card.

Dear Donor's Mom,

I’ve tried to write this letter a thousand times, but nothing I can put on paper ever seems right.  There are no words sufficient to express gratitude for this kind of gift, but I’ll make some fumbling attempt here to thank you for what you have given me.

Since you mailed me L’s picture, I’ve had it on my mantel with the pictures of my family.  I’ve seen her beautiful smile shining out at me every day.

I had  serious complications with my transplant, but through it all, L’s strong kidney and pancreas kept on going.  After months of too many hospitals and doctors, I’m now stronger and healthier than I have been in over a decade.   After years of chronic  illness and dialysis, being this healthy is an amazing feeling!

Thanks to this wonderful gift,  I’m restarting my life.  I’ll be moving and starting school within a week of the one year anniversary of my transplant.  L’s picture will be one of the first things I unpack in my new place.  Both her picture and her spirit will be with me as my family and friends celebrate my transplant anniversary.

For all of these joys, I thank you with all my heart.  My joy at my new life will always be tempered by your loss, but  I hope that my happiness gives you some peace when you think of L. 

jbeany

Equal parts joy and sorrow, you know?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Dianejt

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »

:clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap;

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »

:) Beautiful letter JB!  :-*

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »

JBeany, your words are beautiful.  Just perfect.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »

That would be a hard card to write.  But I would think something like this would mean an incredible lot to me, if I had lost a relative and got this in the mail.  Good work jbeany  :clap;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »

very appropriate and well written letter. I am sure the donors mom will be happy to receive positive proof that even now her daughters gift is helping someone have a more normal life "healthier than in the last decade"

well done!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »

:grouphug;   This is a great thread.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »

Beautiful letter from both perspectives...donor family member and recipient.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Jess21

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »

I got a second letter from my donor family.   About a month ago I got their contact info.  Apparently the place copied down my wrong number, cause she tried calling my house number which is no longer...

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Jessmomto3

Logan's mom!

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »

Honestly, I'm kind of glad to see that I'm not the only one with a mental block.  Logan's first kidney anniversary is in Sept and I have yet to write a note even though I've wanted to every day.  We've been praying for the donor and then his family every day since we knew he would need a kidney.  First we prayed for the donor--that they were living well.  Then--the day before transplant something (God) told me to start praying for the donor's family.  We've prayed for them everyday at dinner ever since.  Our church prays for them at all holidays and of course soon for the one year anniversary.  But, I don't know what to write.  How do you say thanks to someone for saving your child when they lost theirs?  I've really got to come up with something soon.  I'd hate for it to be a whole year and them have gotten nothing from us.

Jessica--mommy to Cristian (8), Jaden (4), and our miracle boy Logan (2/23/08)

Logan had PD cath, g-tube, and mediport placement at 4 1/2 months-- 7/2008
started PD at 5 1/2 months--8/2008
Listed--12/2008--inactive
Activated--8/2009

Cadaveric Kidney Transplant 9/4/2009 (18 months old)!!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »

Honestly, I'm kind of glad to see that I'm not the only one with a mental block.  Logan's first kidney anniversary is in Sept and I have yet to write a note even though I've wanted to every day.  We've been praying for the donor and then his family every day since we knew he would need a kidney.  First we prayed for the donor--that they were living well.  Then--the day before transplant something (God) told me to start praying for the donor's family.  We've prayed for them everyday at dinner ever since.  Our church prays for them at all holidays and of course soon for the one year anniversary.  But, I don't know what to write.  How do you say thanks to someone for saving your child when they lost theirs?  I've really got to come up with something soon.  I'd hate for it to be a whole year and them have gotten nothing from us.

A picture is worth a thousand words - send them one of Logan holding a thank you sign?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:08 PM »

Auuugh!  I got a card back from my donor's mom.  I finally managed to send her a reply to her just in time for the one year anniversary of my transplant.  It's been 6 months since then, and I've been crazy busy, so I didn't think much about hearing from her.

I opened the card and read a completely generic note,with no salutation except Hello, and a "Please write when the time is right for you."  No name, no response to what I wrote, nothing.

I freaked.  It took me 3 months to write the letter and it doesn't sound like she got! 

It was Friday night when I got mail, so I spent a long weekend and called Gift of Life first thing Monday morning to find out if they track the letters. 

Yup.  She got mine.  She just sent a generic form letter to all the recipients, no names on any of them.  The woman from Gift of Life even said that she had called her to make sure she wanted to send them that way, because of how it sounded and she insisted.  I was the 3rd recipient to make the same distraught call that morning alone.

So, panic over - now, I just have to figure out what to write to her this time. 

Brightsky69

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »

I wrote a note to my donor family a few weeks after my transplant. I wanted to say thank you. I know my donor was 48 years old and died from a brain aneurysm. So far I haven't heard anything back. Thats ok

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »

How cool is that?!  I'm so happy for you and your transplant!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »

If it were me I would send a photo, a short note about my story of CKD, and how the transplant has benefitted me. I would also include my phone number and say, "If you'd like, please call me anytime."

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »

That was good Jess.

I have not heard back from mine, but I am notgoing to push the issue with the family. The family can contact me when they want. In my first letter I thanked them and expressed that they do not have to contact me if they do not want to. I got one letter back and sent an update letter back in 2008 again thanking them. Although part of me felt odd writting to them.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »

In  oz  they  would  not  let  you  send  a  pnoto  or  ph  number-at  least  not initially.  You  can't  identify  yourself.  I  think  though  if you  both  write  back  and  request  it  orsomething  they  will  allow  it.

I  plan  to  send  a  letter  fter  six  or  so  months .  Tnat  will  be  June.

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »

In  oz  they  would  not  let  you  send  a  pnoto  or  ph  number-at  least  not initially.  You  can't  identify  yourself.  I  think  though  if you  both  write  back  and  request  it  orsomething  they  will  allow  it.

I  plan  to  send  a  letter  fter  six  or  so  months .  Tnat  will  be  June.

Same here.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »

about 2 weeks after tx, the tx co ordinator rings me in the evening.
were sending messages to donor families
"what would you like to say to your donor family"
 i said what i felt,( how about a bit of notice)
when you think of springing some thing like this

thru sloppy protocols i found out the sex,age and cause of death of my donor.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 08:48:09 PM »

Auuugh!  I got a card back from my donor's mom.  I finally managed to send her a reply to her just in time for the one year anniversary of my transplant.  It's been 6 months since then, and I've been crazy busy, so I didn't think much about hearing from her.

I opened the card and read a completely generic note,with no salutation except Hello, and a "Please write when the time is right for you."  No name, no response to what I wrote, nothing.

I freaked.  It took me 3 months to write the letter and it doesn't sound like she got! 

It was Friday night when I got mail, so I spent a long weekend and called Gift of Life first thing Monday morning to find out if they track the letters. 

Yup.  She got mine.  She just sent a generic form letter to all the recipients, no names on any of them.  The woman from Gift of Life even said that she had called her to make sure she wanted to send them that way, because of how it sounded and she insisted.  I was the 3rd recipient to make the same distraught call that morning alone.

So, panic over - now, I just have to figure out what to write to her this time.

Glad she got the letter, jbeany. It sounds very much to me like she is overwhelmed, no doubt still grieving, and wants to hear what has become of the people who have been touched by her daughter without having to spend the energy in writing personal notes to each recipient. It sounds to me like she is trying to tell you that she does appreciate the letters, but is not ready to engage in a lot of correspondence. I get really lazy when I'm depressed, so I am basing this guess on how I'd react in her place. I would just tell her about how well you're doing, and she'll hopefully see some of her daughter in your successes. Good luck. I can only imagine what a delicate situation this is.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »

I don't really want to hear from any of the recipients from when my dad died.  I guess because then I have to remember that day, and doing CPR and watching the paramedics lose him again on the way to the hospital and having to sign the paperwork.  I'd rather remember him healthy and happy.  It's great if people were helped, but my dad did charity work all the time.  If he helped anyone with a transplant, they'd just have to get at the end of a long line of people he helped when he was alive.  He didn't expect thanks from any of them, so why would he or I want them now?  I don't volunteer to get thanked, I do it because it makes me feel good to help.

The mess with the generic card makes me wonder, too.  Is she just writing because she thinks she's supposed to?  Is she writing to get some encouraging feedback because she's depressed, like cariad suggested?  The lady I talked to at Gift of Life said, "She's having a really rough time right now."  Well, okay, but I'm not sure how much help I can be with that.  All I can really say is "I feel great."  Good for me, but if she's still an emotional wreck after a year and a half, will hearing that help or make her feel worse? 

I wonder, do the survivors ever get resentful?

I don't have any idea what her response is, because I didn't get one except "Hi. Write something."  If I write back about how wonderful my life is now, is that just going to make her more depressed because it's me and not her daughter?  I don't want to make things worse for her, but she hasn't given me any way to gauge what might help.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »

jbeany, how about not rushing to get that letter out, maybe wait a year? The fear I had and have if Iwrite/ wrote was to bring up bad memories. I know how my donor died, but I have no idea if family was with her at the time.

Since you don't know about the donor's family other than the woman is having a hard time, I think a better way she could have made a generic letter was to basically say Thank You for the Thank You and if you want to contact me further, please write more. The way that generic leter sounds to me is creepy as in why should I devulge more about myself when I have no feedback from my letter. But again, I wouldn't go rushing to get another letter out unless you feel comfortable and maybe more time for them to grieve so that they may write more back. If you don't get much back then, it may not be worth the frustration to communicate.
That's my  :twocents;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »

You're thinking along the same lines I was, Chris.  I was debating just letting things ride for a couple of months or sending back a "Thinking of You" card with a really short, non-detailed note about doing fine and keeping incredibly busy with school and volunteering. 

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 04:54:20 AM »

Ang.

Wow.  That  seems  wrong.  My  post  tx  docs  are  very  specific  about  the  subject  and  that  it  is  up  to  US  if  and  when  we  write.  I  will  post  it  when  I  get  home.

The  way  you  describe  things  it  is  like  the  co-ordinator  is  running  the  show  to  their  timetable.  That  seems  wrong  with  such  a  personal  thing.

I  am  glad  mine  is  not  like  that.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »

You're thinking along the same lines I was, Chris.  I was debating just letting things ride for a couple of months or sending back a "Thinking of You" card with a really short, non-detailed note about doing fine and keeping incredibly busy with school and volunteering.

This seems like a great idea, jbeany. I am with Chris, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. That is a lot for Gift of Hope to lay on your doorstep - that the mother is struggling. As you've said, what can be expected of you? Nothing you say to her is going to make it OK that she lost her daughter, and agonizing about it is not any way to respect someone's memory. The wording is definitely giving you permission (not that you need permission) to wait as long as you feel is necessary. I suspect (but it's just a guess) that she thinks that this will somehow heal her to interact with the donors. Hopefully, if she finds it's not helping, or heaven forbid making it harder for her, she will just stop the correspondence and not feel guilty about it.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »