I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 03:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  nephrectomy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nephrectomy  (Read 1805 times)
josie

« on: May 08, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »

I am on the transplant list for a little over two years now. I just found out that because my polysystic kidneys are so large and full of cysts, I am having both kidneys removed on May 26th. I am starting to kind of freak out. I have never had any surgeries before. On the other hand, the kidneys are giving me problems, and are five times the size of normal kidneys. So it looks like I'm constantly bloated. The rest of my body is normal size, and the girth around my middle is crazy big. I can't hardly bend over to tie my own shoes. So that will be nice to be rid of all that bulk, and pain from the cysts. I am hoping that after this surgery, it will not be too much longer til I get my transplant. I can't wait to have some of my energy back. Oh well, wish me luck.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »

I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago because of fibroids.  I imagine it is not all that different from having cystic kidneys.  After the surgery, I felt so much better it was unbelievable.  I know you will, too.  Surgery is scary stuff, but there will be a whole team of people looking after you.   :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
josie

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »

Thanks for your support. I'm kinda just giving it up to God and trusting his will. I'm finishing up my current semester at school, and my kids keep me busy, so I hope time til the surgery will not crawl by too slowly.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:04:46 AM »

I'll be thinking of you on the 26th and as scary as the thought of surgery can be, thank heaven we can correct some of the issues that plague us.  Sounds as if you'll feel much more comfortable after the surgery.  :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cloud393

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:08 AM »

I have large PKD kidneys too.  My transplant surgeon doesn't want to remove them though.  I keep hoping they will change their minds because like you, I have the huge mid section and alot of pain and discomfort.  Please let us know how things go for you.  You will be in my prayers.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »