I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 01:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Tomorrows the big day...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tomorrows the big day...  (Read 1998 times)
topazbeauty

« on: April 27, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »

Any suggestions on what to expect, or what you wish you knew/had prior to transplant?

I'm going in at 8, surgery is at 10. My mom starts her surgery at 8, so she's in at 6.

Right now I have my bag packed and just started thinking, what am I missing. So, are there anything that you wish you had while you were in the hospital? Or anything that you found out after the surgery that you wish you would have known?

Jes 23
MPGN-1 '98
Remission for 10 years!
12/1/2009 - permacath placed and first round of Hemo
12/2/2009 - transplant center recieved all my documents! Waiting for appointment
2/2010 - approved for transplant
3/18/2010 - Dad not approved due to medial reasons
4/28/2010 - Living tranplant from Mom
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

:bandance;
That's great news!

Hoepfully, you will be up and moving quickly, so you won't be stuck in the hospital for long.  As for stuff I wished I had brought -

A decent pillow.  The flat, plastic coated ones they provide are horrid, horrid, horrid.

A small fan.  The temps in the room never seem to respond to the setting on the thermostat.  It's always either too hot or too cold.  I purchased a $6 battery op fan for my last stay - it was fabulous, especially when I woke up in a puddle of sweat from sleeping on a plastic mattress. 

Ear plugs.  If you don't get a private room, either your roommate will snore, or be on a sleep apnea machine, or have the tv on all night long.

A roll of real T-paper.  That stuff they call t-paper in their bathrooms has the same texture as a brillo pad.

A sleep mask.  Everything has blinking lights - the IV pump, the call buttons, the in-room computer for records access.  And the blinds on the windows don't really block much light - especially if you end up in a room with a view of the helicopter landing area like I did!

And a big stick, to whack the nurses with when they wake you up to ask if you need anything......  :Kit n Stik;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »

Yes, take your own pillow and a warm blanket.  Mine was lime green and my bathrobe was hot pink.  It really brightened up the room and believe it or not the nurses liked the color for a change and they were pleasant when they came in.

You should get a private room.  That is the policy for most transplants I think.  Or it should be if it's not!  It was the policy at my hospital, but it was a transplant hospital.

Take something loose to wear home.  I bought a pair of jeans a size bigger, but even they were a little snug on my incision.

Take some good snacks for your room, like peanutbutter crackers or fruit (apples would be best), cause the food stinks!  Mine did, at least.

Take your own bath towel, too.

Congratulations!!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »

If you are going to be on Prednisone you will be starving.  Do not give in to it.  Eat small portions and know that is sufficient.  Otherwise you will gain weight fast.  Keep it under control from the start.

Best of luck to both of you.   :cuddle;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »

A better cough pillow than the one they give. The thicker the better if you are sensitive, a bag for dirty laindry, not the clear plastic one they give you.Plus what else was said previously.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:58 PM »

I was given a great little cough pillow shaped like a little blue kidney.  It was just big enough and firm.  I used it for months around the house.  It almost became a security blanket (pillow) for me.  It just felt good to have it pressed against my incision.

I was also able to avoid sneezing for about 2 months.  Everytime I got that tingling feeling in my nose I would sniff really hard and the sneeze would go away.  But the first time I did sneeze it kindof hurt.

Get you house clean for when you come home.  All trash out.  Dirty dishes washed.  I did a full cleaning of the floors, bathrooms and had the furniture steamcleaned.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »

Good luck! Please let us know how it's going. I will PM you my phone number - an update would be great!!
 :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »

Kelly, I didn't get one of those. I was given a cheap disposable hospital pilliow that was small and not so great. So I say be prepared.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012