I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 10:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Rogue Wave resurfaces after choppy period
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue Wave resurfaces after choppy period  (Read 1480 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 24, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »

Rogue Wave resurfaces after choppy period

By GEORGE A. PAUL - For the North County Times | Posted: April 21, 2010 11:17 am | 

Rogue Wave has overcome its fair share of adversity during the past few years.

Drummer/multi-instrumentalist Pat Spurgeon's kidney transplant and frontman Zach Rogue's neck injury, resulting in severe right arm and hand pain, were among the problems they faced.

So it wouldn't be a surprise if Rogue's material on the solid new album "Permalight" took a more serious turn than usual. Instead, the singer/guitarist started to craft urgent, danceable tunes ("Stars & Stripes," "You Have Boarded," the sci-fi story-inspired "Good Morning"). The buoyant title track is another key example.

"That was the first thing I wrote. I hadn't played guitar or written any music in a while; I was in a really bad place," admitted Rogue, from a Topeka, Kan., tour stop. "I wanted to do something simple, not frivolous, that reminded me of the feeling when I was a little kid and got excited after the Oakland A's won a game. They'd always play 'Celebration' by Kool & the Gang. ... It's just a song about being present and thankful to be alive."

Spurgeon would agree with the latter sentiment. The subject of "D Tour," a 2009 documentary produced and directed by longtime friend Jim Granato, Spurgeon shared his personal journey encompassing daily dialysis treatments done on tour, the search for a living donor, receiving an organ transplant from a deceased young man and meeting the parents who gave their permission.

It made the rounds at American film festivals and was shown on PBS' "Independent Lens" series (visit dtourmovie.com).

"Pat's been able to speak at events and talk with people who have (similar) kidney issues. I think he's been a real inspiring figure for people who thought their lives were over," Rogue said.

"When you receive an organ from someone else, there is an (implied) promise: You're going to do something with your life that's not self-serving."

The National Kidney Foundation appears at many Rogue Wave shows. The band also talks with different organizations about getting involved and the importance of donor sign-ups.

"It's been great to be part of that and see how Pat's story has been a comfort to others and helped us process our crazy history."

Rogue Wave originated as a solo project for Oakland native Zach. After losing his Web site development job amid the dot-com bust in 2002, the musician went to New York to demo songs. Upon returning to the Bay Area, folk/pop debut "Out of the Shadow" was self-released. Zach recruited bandmates to tour and found Spurgeon first via Craigslist.

Sub Pop Records reissued the lo-fi collection in '04 and put out follow-up "Descended Like Vultures." A label switch to Jack Johnson's Brushfire Records resulted in the sleeker sound of 2007's experimental "Asleep at Heaven's Gate," featuring minor alt-rock radio hit "Lake Michigan." The group had a cameo performing it in the Jennifer Aniston/Aaron Eckhart flick "Love Happens." The band's music has been heard in a few dozen soundtracks and TV shows.

For "Permalight," they teamed with producer Dennis Herring (Modest Mouse, Cracker, Elvis Costello) down in Oxford, Miss., took in the area's rich literary history and hung out at William Faulkner's gravesite on occasions of having "one too many" drinks.

"As Lou Reed said (in the Velvet Underground song "Some Kinda Love"), 'between thought and expression lies a lifetime.' I was trying to bridge that gap. Dennis seemed like a good fit."

Herring proved to be very hands-on in the studio, playing various instruments and adding background vocals. Rogue welcomed the collaboration.

"That's always been my policy in our band: 'If you can do something better than me, please do it. I'm far from an expert.'"

A distinct new-wave vibe envelops several tunes, thanks to retro Casio effects and programming. No surprise there: Rogue cites such 1980s-era influences as Echo & the Bunnymen, New Order, Depeche Mode and the Cure.

"There's a lot of really incredible music to draw upon from the '80s."

Just don't call it a dance album, like some ill-informed music critics.

"I don't think it's that much of a departure for us. We've used synthesizers and drum machines on all our records. ... A few songs have that sensibility, but "Sleepwalker," "Per Anger" and (ethereal highlight) "Fear Itself" do not. I wanted visceral, physical music; shorter songs and more direct lyrics."

When Rogue Wave plays the Belly Up, it will be a homecoming of sorts for Zach, who lived on Cedros Avenue in Solana Beach for a couple of years. "I'm looking forward to stopping by Pizza Port, for sure."

Since his body is still getting back to normal, the singer limits onstage movements whenever possible.

"I try to keep restrained, but I'm not always successful and forget. I sometimes get scolded by band and family members."

Earth Day is this week, and like many bands, Rogue Wave strives to help the environment. Besides supporting the 1% for the Planet organization with Brushfire and Johnson, they attempt to eliminate food waste in tour catering, use energy-efficient LED lighting and ban plastic bottle use at shows.

"The most important thing I've done is change my eating habits and become a vegetarian," Zach said.

Rogue Wave, with Man/Miracle and JBM

When: 8 p.m. April 27

Where: Belly Up Tavern, 143 S. Cedros Ave., Solana Beach

Tickets: $13

Info: 858-481-8140

bellyup.com

Web: roguewavemusic.com

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »