I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Not sleeping
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not sleeping  (Read 9105 times)
Brightsky69

« on: April 21, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »

???  What is up with this not sleeping!!!! Last night I got maybe a good 4 hours of sleep. Ever since they changed my PD scrip I haven't been able to sleep very well.  >:( I must admit I think I am getting use to living on 3 or 4 hours sleep.
I usually go to bed around 9 or 9:30pm then i wake up around 11:30pm/12:30am. Toss and turn a little bit (maybe a half hour) then i wake back up around 2:30am/3:30am. Then i toss and turn again then wake up around 5;30am when my alarm goes off and i have to get up for work. UGH!!! Sleep use to be my hobby. It's weird...I could take two Benadryl and lay awake for hours. I have taken ambien and laid awake for hours. But then the very next night I could take 2 Benedryl and it'll knock me out for 8 hours straight. And the very next night I could take an ambien and sleep 8 hours straight. Whats up with that??? One day it works and the next day nothing.
Last night i took a Excedrin PM and a benedryl and laid awake for an hour. Tossed and turned till 1am.

I JUST WANNA SLEEP! :Kit n Stik;  Thanks for letting me rant and rave.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
karen547

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:21:47 AM »

I know the feeling! Have you tried Sleepytime Tea?? It is supposed to work well and its actually made for kids but I bought it for my mom too lol. I hope you get some good sleep soon
Brightsky69

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:24:53 AM »

OMG! Funny you should mention SleepyTime tea. I had a cup of that last night. Noting...nada not sleepytime effects at all.

Brightsky69

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:39:19 AM »

Oh and I forgot to mention...I was laying down last night and my legs started to ach. If it ain't one thing it's another.

karen547

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:49:57 AM »

Well I wouldnt take ambien, I saw the side effects my mom had from that and that stuff is bad news!!!
Brightsky69

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:07:18 AM »

When I take AmbienI end up talking in the middle of the night. Last time I was asking my boyfriend if that was on sale? I had no memory of talking. Kinda scary if you ask me. Thats all i need is to start sleepwalking when I am tied to a machine.

cloud393

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »

I have sleepless nights too.  Just part of the whole disease I guess.  I also use Ambien occasionally. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't.  Maybe a hot bath would help. (just remember not to get you cath site in the water)

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »

For whatever reason, Dialysis medical care professionals never mention that a good percentage of Dialysis patients develop sleep apnea.  I went for a sleep study four years ago and it was determined I was waking up over 100 times a night.  Because of that, REM sleep is never reached and you feel exhausted all the time.

Dialysis is bad enough without the added annoyance of sleeping less.  I receive about six hours a night at most, and let me tell you, its nowhere near enough.  I'm to the point where I can barely concentrate at work and I make egregious mistakes on the air.

I hope my personal history helps.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:19:08 PM »

I don't let sleeplessness bother me. If I'm awake, I get on with something unless I'm feeling bad.

It's 2.15 a.m. here now.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

Are you home, yet, Stoday?

Galvo
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 03:04:00 AM »

I have used tylenol pm and sleepy time tea. They worked until my gfr got to 20. Now I take ambien. It has worked well for me, but everyone is different.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »

Are you home, yet, Stoday?

Yeah I got home just before the volcano erupted.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
wolfken

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »

Hello,
    I'm running on a few hours of sleep also, the nerve pain in my feet just kills me, Ive
 tried the tea's, all other means to sleep.....i'm in the same boat....
    I hope that you do find something that helps and inform others....sleepy wolf :waiting;
Brightsky69

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »

I am still not sleeping well. My sinuses have been killing me so I've been taking a Tylenol sinuses pain and conjestion medication. it usually knocks me out at night. But I've been having weird dreams.
I had a dream that i was watching my drain bag and it was coming out completely brown. I freaked and went to call my PD nurse. When i looked over at my drain bag again it was completely clear. Weird.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »

I surmise ambien is a sleeping pill in America. My husband was give one (UK) because like most dialysis patients he could not sleep. it freaked me out, he woke in the night with hallucinations it scared the sh** out of me so we threw them. I just hit him over the head now with a mallet that sees him off. Only kidding or am I!!!!!!
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »

Ambien can do that. sleep walking, talking, memory loss.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »

For me, it is a crap shot everynight.  I have tried everything.  Sometimes Ambien does the trick, then the next night - nothing.  I went to bed at 10:30, tossed and turned, meditated and then just threw in the towel and got up.  Here I am at 1:45 am and stll not going to sleep.    I am sorry you are having problems sleeping, Quickfeet.  We all need a good night sleep every single night.  Not happening, is it?

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
wolfken

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 11:26:34 PM »

hello, im still sitting up too, 2:25 am, guess I'll catch up to my sleep when I'm dead....
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 11:55:05 PM »

The nurse practitioner told a patient right beside me, that the drug he had was the strongest sleep drug she could give him, but if it did not work that was the was the dialysis ball bounces.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:42:24 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Brightsky69

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »

I am ready to try acupuncture. Something has got to give. I got 2 hours of sleep last night then had to get up and go to work.

suzyq73176

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »

i tried ambien and still sat up.  I also tried lunesta and one other.  None helped. I take trazadone now and it works great. I can get up in the middle of the night if needed and not be strung out.
murf

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 04:19:27 AM »

Research indicates that 70% of dialysis patients will suffer renal insomnia. Unfortunately, I am one of those. I can take a bucket load of normison but it doesn't help. I find my insomnia works in a cycle. Eventually I become so tired that I collapse into some form of sleep. When that happens I will be on a sleeping cycle for a week or so, but will then fall back into an insomniac cycle. It happens so regularly that I have Lent to accept this disorder.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Brightsky69

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »

I am not trying to live like this for the next 4 to 7 year while i wait for a new kidney. I am trying a mega dose of benadryl.....that seemed to help. I was only awake till midnight or so and not 2am like usual. I only woke up a couple of times and I think...I am not sure but i may have gotten 6 hours of sleep on the benadryl.  :cheer:

Like I said ....sleep use to be my hobby. Iam ready to go back to thoses days.

Bub

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »

I also sing the praises of trazadone.  Ambien made me sleep walk.  Lunesta did nothing at all.  Trazadone lets me sleep but doesnt turn me into a zombie.  I wake up clear headed and if I have to get up in the middle of the night I can do so safely.
bountyhunter_ga

I love to cook

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »

Well it's nice to know I'm in good company,no sleep,aching feet, just basic irritation with everyone in the household.
If the darn crap doesn't stop soon my wife will probably move me into the garage. My hat goes off to all of you that suffer the same types of problems known usually just to Kidney patients. Usually go to sleep around 0400 hrs  and back up at 0700 hrs to go to work again and it starts all over . God bless all my friends I need to hear from you,all

Bountyhunter_ga
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »