I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  what potassium level is high?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what potassium level is high?  (Read 24106 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »

Hello everyone. I am wondering how high some of your potassium levels have gotten. My husbands are apprently running high 6.? I think, and they want him start 3x a week. They told him if he doesn't come in Wed. to take the bottle of potassuim binder. I wonder how high could it get and at what stage is it considered critical. What do they do when it's get that high. Thanks.

Edited: Fixed error in subject line - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:22:39 PM by okarol » Logged

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »

Mine is at 4.8 which is in the normal range. I've never heard of a potassium binder.
If too hi the hart could stop without warning, so he needs to deffinatly go to d 3 x a week.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »

Yes, over 6 is bad. The normal range is around 3.2-5.5ish. My unit gets concerned when we go over 5.2. I'm currently 4.9 which is OK. Highest I have been has been 5.2. Definitely over 6 is action stations in my view. I remember hearing in my unit a while ago someone was brought in for emergency dialysis - they were I think 6.7. Definitely K levels over 6 significantly increases the risk to the heart.

So yes TS - hubby needs to do his 3x/week D (as we've been saying for some time). Is he cheating on his diet with high K foods (tomato, pineapple, oranges etc?).. He needs to be ultra careful I think.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
chiefsfan301

Fish, Duck Hunt, Fish, DuckHunt, Golf and Football

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »

Prior to D mine was always around 5.9 but when it spiked over 6 I had to take a dose of Sodium Polystyr. My doctor told me that if it slowly goes up is not as bad as if it spikes up fast.

IGA 1994
Fistula August 2009
Dialysis October 2009
Approved for Transplant January 2010
Turned down ECK kidney January 2011
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »

Of course now he's not following the diet. It amazes me. Geezz... I  always have concerns but the heart deal down right scares me. You get so used to living a certain way that sometimes it's like you're denial until crisis happens. Kinda like since you can't see what's happening inside the body everything looks ok from the outside.I already know I can't force him to anything but I can educate myself and that's what I'm doing. To be honest here, we'll see if goes on Wed. as been suggested and if not, takes that potassium binder. (it's the stuff we were given to take in case of emergency & couldn't get to dialysis. Snow etc...)  I was diagnosed a couple years back with a serious diagnoses and I did my homework right away on it. I can't understand why he's so cavalier about his. I have to think that if it were of top concern they would send him to the hosp. or something. I know from reading his labs it has been going up slowly, but the last 2 weeks were
in the "red  light" zone on the chart. You folks are always a great help to me.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »

At dialysis they have 3 different potassium baths.  K3, K2, K1 are the baths.  K3 pulls out a minimum of potassium so someone with low potassium levels would be put on this bath so they would not be stripped of too much potassium.  K2 takes out more potassium.  That is what I'm on and my numbers always push 5.5.  I would like to be on a K1 bath.  K1 bath takes out even more potassium but they don't like using it because it could make your potassium too low.  I still would like it so I could have a glass of milk once in awhile.

So, what potassium bath is he on?     :cuddle;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »

Potassium baths?  OMG, I've never heard of that!  As much as I love IHD, I have to say that there have been many times that I've read a post and have learned something new, complicated and scary.  Do you have different potassium baths when you do home hemo (like NxStage)?  I don't think I'm clever enough to go on dialysis; it's just too complicated for my little toxin-filled brain.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Wallyz

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »

NxStage only has a 1K bath.  I was told to drink OJ in the morning to keep my potassium from being too low during the day.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »

Not like you take a bath???   ???

The bath surrounds the fibers which are hollow cellophane tubes which the blood goes through and the potassium solution bathes the fibers and has a low potassium amount so osmoses naturally pulls the high potassium from the blood to the lower potassium bath to equal out.  Does that make any sense?

PM me if you have questions.   :cuddle;

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »

NxStage only has a 1K bath.  I was told to drink OJ in the morning to keep my potassium from being too low during the day.

:cheer:    :bandance;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »

Not like you take a bath???   ???

The bath surrounds the fibers which are hollow cellophane tubes which the blood goes through and the potassium solution bathes the fibers and has a low potassium amount so osmoses naturally pulls the high potassium from the blood to the lower potassium bath to equal out.  Does that make any sense?

PM me if you have questions.   :cuddle;

Actually, yes, that makes sense.  And I don't remember the last time I had a glass of orange juice.  It has literally been years.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:35:51 AM »

Amazing how much you can learn here. I'm assuming he's on the higgest bath because he once told me that he's on the highest settings the machine will go. Unit called this morning and he said he'll "pass" about coming in tomoroow. I asked if he'll take that bottle of emergency potassuim binder tomorrow like he was told if doesn't come in and he said "he'll think about it."  i appreciate this place becuse it helps give me strength. I know I can't make him do anything.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »

If a person's potassium goes too high the heart could just stop and the result is sudden death.  This happened to a fellow patient of mine many years ago, in the parking lot on his way in for his session.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »

You usually have other symptoms first such as lethargy of the legs and then no movement of the legs and then total paralasis.  Look for these signs and then take him to ER for emergency dialysis.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »

Paralysis of the legs?

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/766479-overview

"Hyperkalemia is a potentially life-threatening illness that can be difficult to diagnose because of a paucity of distinctive signs and symptoms. The physician must be quick to consider hyperkalemia in patients who are at risk for this disease process. Because hyperkalemia can lead to sudden death from cardiac arrhythmias, any suggestion of hyperkalemia requires an immediate ECG to ascertain whether electrocardiographic signs of electrolyte imbalance are present.

The mortality rate can be as high as 67% if severe hyperkalemia is not treated rapidly. An ECG is essential to assess for cardiac conduction disturbances related to hyperkalemia.

The kidneys normally excrete excess potassium from the body. Therefore, most cases of hyperkalemia are caused by disorders that reduce the kidneys' ability to excrete potassium."

The symptoms can include paralysis and muscle weakness but very often the symptoms are vague....and the death rate resulting from high potassium is pretty scary.
The guy I knew was walking when he dropped dead.
You CANNOT rely on symptoms as a warning.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »

Potassium is used in the "lethal injection", so, yes, it will stop your heart no doubt.  My highest level read was in the 7's, but after a lab redo we believe it was a bad draw.  So my highest "true" potassium level was 5.4 or 5.7.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »

I get my labs done every 3 months.  One day last year, I was coming in from a 3 mile walk, feelin' fine and virtuous, and the phone was ringing.  It was my neph's nurse who told me that they had received my results and that my potassium had suddenly spiked to 6 point something or another.  Since my other numbers were OK (well, OK for CKD4), they called in a prescription for sodium bicarb, and I had to have repeat labwork done in 3 days.  It worked; my K level went down to normal, but it just goes to show that you can be completely asymptomatic.  I had been following my renal diet, but that wasn't enough.  I now take the max dosage of 8 sodium bicarb tablets a day, and even now my potassium still runs the high side of normal.  Scary stuff.

Mizar

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »

My Husband, does D, Three Times a Week. He gets a Monthly, " Report Card ." The Potassium Scores, go from 3.0 on the Left Side of the Paper, to 7.5 on the Right Side. He came Home with a Paper, once, that showed, His Potassium Score, as being at the very edge, of the Right Side of the Paper. They told, Him, He was heading for a Heart Attack, if He did not watch His Diet, Pronto. He did and now His Scores are Normal. Scary stuff. Nothing to fool around with.
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »

Mikes potassium before he was on D averaged at around 5.8, the highest it's been was 7.2. He was hospitalised, and they had him on a drip which didn't lower it, they injected him with this stuff which was supposed to lower his heart rate, but it did the exact opposite. Took a few days to lower the potassium, he had to drink this awful caramel coloured stuff which was like chalk, which actually used to make him throw up.. so that itself lowers your potassium  :lol;

Even with careful diet at the time, did nothing for his potassium. It was dialysis that lowered it to the normal rate

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

Thanks for all the information and yes, it is scary stuff!  I am going to pray we by this somehow. He makes me so angry. I can't even imagine....

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »

Nxstage has different Potassium soln...  when using bags there is only one I think availible...but with the pureflow they have two..... 001 sac or the 004 sac.....  the 001 sac takes more K out ..... I use this one so I can eat more fruit....  my labs are great...

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »

I think at 9 you are pretty much guaranteed to be dead. Between 7 and 8 you have the risk of death as well as permanent damage to your heart. 6 long term, can damage your heart.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:36 AM »

Amazing how much you can learn here. I'm assuming he's on the higgest bath because he once told me that he's on the highest settings the machine will go. Unit called this morning and he said he'll "pass" about coming in tomoroow. I asked if he'll take that bottle of emergency potassuim binder tomorrow like he was told if doesn't come in and he said "he'll think about it."  i appreciate this place becuse it helps give me strength. I know I can't make him do anything.

I'm sorry I want to rant and scream rude words and throw things - YOU FLIPPIN IDIOT!!!!!  :boxing; :boxing; :boxing; :boxing; :boxing;

Not you TS hun.. you know I mean hubby. How can he so disinterested in his OWN wellfare, let alone the effect on you and others who care about him??? I'm absolutely shocked!!!!

YES.. I understand he doesn't want to dialysis.. and definitely doesn't want to do 3x/week. Iget that. Heck *I* don't want to do it, but I'd rather do it and/or take meds than have a heart attack, or just drop dead, or other serious complications.

*shakes head in sadness at such a person*

:Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

That's what he bloody well deserves in my view!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 08:48:01 AM »

I have to agree.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »