I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Internet Links
| | |-+  Anyone see this one?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone see this one?  (Read 8407 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: November 23, 2006, 11:28:10 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Kidney-Disease-Treatment-Dialysis/dp/0471274232/sr=8-1/qid=1164353188/ref=sr_1_1/104-9739843-3635132?ie=UTF8&s=books

Wish it had been around years ago!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 01:30:12 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Kidney-Disease-Treatment-Dialysis/dp/0471274232/sr=8-1/qid=1164353188/ref=sr_1_1/104-9739843-3635132?ie=UTF8&s=books

Wish it had been around years ago!
Anyone have it? I am curious what it says on the inside ;)

Too bad it wouldnt have helped me but I wonder if there are things in there that would have helped put off dialysis longer.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:12:10 AM »

"Halting polycystic kidney disease or delaying dialysis, August 30, 2004
Reviewer: Diane Smith "Danevas" (Hilo Hawaii) - See all my reviews

Coping with Kidney Disease is a really useful, well-written and organized helpful book when you are approaching dialysis or transplant. It is written for the layperson, however it is still very technical. Precise directions are given as to how one can go about arresting the downward progression of kidney disease once protein appears in the urine. Limiting protein to 22 grams each day and supplementing with essential amino acids accomplishes this. I have seen this working with one extremely well motivated individual. If it will also work before nephrotic syndrome develops, remains to be seen. The book corrects any acidosis instantly, by using sodium bicarbonate pills. With PKD, sodium bicarbonate oftentimes causes kidney stones to develop. If your doc will go along with using sodium citrate, this might be a better alternative alkalizer. There are several unique observations made by Dr. Walser - nausea and vomiting associations with anemia - leg cramps and itching when the body is too acid. He corrects anemia early so it does not lead to LVH left ventricular hypertrophy. I would add when taking iron tablets also take rose hips vitamin C for increased absorption. He clearly explains certain practices that make individuals worse with PKD as opposed to diabetic kidney disease. He goes over which medications including many OTC's which precipitate a decline in kidney functioning. Very interesting reading and it so far it seems to be working."

Review looks good, but only 22 grams of protein?  PKD site and some of the kidney sites give a formula which works out to Mike getting a minimum of 65g of protein a day and most sites emphasized that they should be high quality animal proteins.  Maybe, if those amino acid supplements are almost magic or if you only weigh 85 pounds you could live and thrive on 22 grams of protein!?!  But, I am glad to see that it does mention PKD!!  Mike's kidneys are too far gone for this to be beneficial for him, but I may buy it for Mike, Jr.

Thanks, Kat!

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
vandie

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »

I have been on a low protein diet for 16 months since I was diagnosed with CKD.  My protein intake, as a rule, is around 25 grams.  My counts have remained the same for 13 months.  My goal is to stay off dialysis until I can transplant.  I realize that's a lofty goal, but as my doctor says, I'm stubborn and persuasive. 
I can't say for sure that the diet is the sole reason for my counts staying the same for over a year, but I can say that something is working to my benefit.   

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 02:11:44 PM »

When my kidney failure was first found, we delayed dialysis for about 7 years with a low protein/no sodium diet.  At first it was 17 grams of protein a day and went up to 25. It sucked big time, but looking back measuring everything I ate was nothing compared to this dialysis hell. They gave me a big book of what had how much protein and lots of recipes so I didn't have to figure it out by myself. 

My protein intake, as a rule, is around 25 grams.  My counts have remained the same for 13 months.   

Vandie - stick with it and it will work for you.  I was hungry alot, but once I figured out what had little to no protein in it, I ate plenty of those things. Candy is always good and most non-chocolate has zero.  My favorite was orange slices :-)

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Jill D.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:01:26 PM »

I actually bought the book about a year ago. I thought it was very interesting. If anything, it made me feel like I had very good care from my nephrologist over the years because most of the steps listed in the book were what my doctor had me follow over the years, and I went for 16 years before I had to start dialysis!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »

"Halting polycystic kidney disease or delaying dialysis, August 30, 2004Review looks good, but only 22 grams of protein?  PKD site and some of the kidney sites give a formula which works out to Mike getting a minimum of 65g of protein a day and most sites emphasized that they should be high quality animal proteins.  Maybe, if those amino acid supplements are almost magic or if you only weigh 85 pounds you could live and thrive on 22 grams of protein!?!  But, I am glad to see that it does mention PKD!!  Mike's kidneys are too far gone for this to be beneficial for him, but I may buy it for Mike, Jr.

Thanks, Kat!
Very good!

I know that with Protein that before dialysis when you still have kidney function that they told me to have VERY LITTLE Protein so that does make sense. Now however on dialysis I have to have lots of Protein but watch the Phosphate and Potassium of course :P I went for 7 years from the time they found out I had irreversable extreme damage to my kidneys to the time I had to start dialysis.

I would add when taking iron tablets also take rose hips vitamin C for increased absorption.
I think I will try that as my Iron and Ionized calcium has been low dispite them raising my One-Alpha.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:46:10 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 07:12:57 AM »

Quote from: Black on November 24, 2006, 02:12:10 PM
I would add when taking iron tablets also take rose hips vitamin C for increased absorption.

I think I will try that as my Iron and Ionized calcium has been low despite them raising my One-Alpha.

Angie, that wasn't from me,but I think it would be worth a try -- extra vitamin C probably would probably be benign, but I'd do some reseach first.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 09:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Black on November 24, 2006, 02:12:10 PM

I think I will try that as my Iron and Ionized calcium has been low despite them raising my One-Alpha.

Angie, that wasn't from me,but I think it would be worth a try -- extra vitamin C probably would probably be benign, but I'd do some reseach first.
Research is smart since too much Vit C can be bad for anyone without kidneys since it is water soluable ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »