I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 07:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Paired donation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paired donation  (Read 2024 times)
carla13

« on: April 15, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »

Hi all,
I don't post often, but I've had a call that my husband and I have been matched to two other couples for transplant. We're going to have cross match blood tests on Monday. This has happened before but we fell at this hurdle last time because I have 84% antibodies. So I just had to tell you all because obviously I'm excited that we got a call but I'm very cautious as it may not happen.

Hope you don't mind me posting about this, but it's so very difficult not to get your hopes up. I keep imagining what life would be like without dialysis, and being able to eat and drink whatever I want, and maybe to go on HOLIDAY! Not having to sleep with that infernal machine beeping and gurgling!

Live donation is a great idea, and it gives us a better chance of a decent kidney, but OH GOD! The waiting! My first transplant was a phone call in the middle of the day and the next day I had my kidney, but this is torture!!! :lol;

Anyhoo, it's nice to get some of my thoughts down, because my mind is all mixed up. I'm excited at the prospect of a kidney, but not sure if I can handle the disappointment again.
Thanks for listening!
Carla

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »

Wishing you all the best that this call wont fall through Carla.
The mathing program is a great program.

Fingers crossed that all goes well for you.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »

I am trying to get on the tranplant list now, and once that is accomplished, my husband wants to be a donor in a paired donation arrangement (if he checks out medically).  It is hard to allow yourself to get excited while at the same time exercising caution.  It's a constant balancing act.  And you want to get off dialysis ASAP!!  Please keep us posted on how things go.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  Like paul.karen said, the paired exchange program is terrific; we need all of the creative strategies we can get!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »

I hope the cross matching finds you a good match. Paired donation is such a good idea. Good luck.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
cloud393

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »

I will keep you in my prayers.  Just remember, when it's meant to happen, it will.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »

I hope all works out well!
Does your transplant hospital have a program for reducing your PRA if you decide to expand your options?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
carla13

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »

Thanks for all your good wishes, I'll keep you all posted. I live in the UK, so (to answer your question Okarol) my transplant centre runs in tandem with the centre that leads the UK in dealing with difficult patients (like myself!) who have high antibody levels. We're having a cross match on Monday, if that doesn't work then the TX won't go ahead. I've spoken to them about plasmapheresis, and they weren't very keen to give me much information, I imagine that it is a decidedly costly process....

I'm 39 and had my first transplant at 21, I, like your daughter Okarol, wanted to be an actress. When I got my kidney, I got into a drama school and worked for many years in the theatre. I work as a director now (or did before I had to give up work) but had an amazing 14 years of (almost) normality while transplanted. I think about all the people on here adn all the people around the world who are sick and waiting for an organ.

Gosh, I'm rambling now.... :P

So, what I wanted to say was -  thanks and I'll keep you all posted. God, what would we do without the support of IHD?
xx

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »

Hope it works out this time carla13

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012