I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  infection control.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: infection control.....  (Read 3123 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »

Ok  guys...   I need to know what others are doing to keep the access free of infections......   I would like to know what you are using to prep before cannulation and also what your using and doing when your all done.... 
 are you guys using benadine, or alcohol wipes, chlorhexidine..... are you guys using sterile gauze or non sterile gause.....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Zog

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »

We use bleach wipes (Alcavis or Exsept).  We use a cheap 3/4" x 3" adhesive bandage (band-aid) when we are done cannulating with two stips of paper tape to hold the needles in place (one under and over and one over the plastic wings).  We used bleach wipes and 2x2 sterile gauze pads with paper tape on her catheter dressing before it was removed.  Would have liked to have the tegaderm bandages for the catheter.  You can risk a shower with them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:48:05 AM by Zog » Logged

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »

Hi Tye....I guess we also now qualify for NxStage users....(lol).  The nurse who is training us says that we will be cleaning with ExCept and then putting on a guaze/tape configuration after pulling the needles.  As anal as I am about cleanliness...I think I will be cleaning before and after with ExCept and using a sterile dressing after that can be pulled off later and replaced with a bandaid. 

Hope all is going well for you!   :grouphug;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
josie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 11:05:18 AM »

I found I had problems when I was taking the little scab off before cannulation. Now they have needles with picks attached, and currently I am using disposable tweezers. I am always careful and have been on NxStage for year and a half, and never had a problem until couple of weeks ago. I was sure to get it under control with lots of aseptic techniques above and beyond what I normally do, and itls fine now, thank god
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:44:32 AM »

It may be the little things.... remember to use a fresh clean towel after a shower.  You can't be using the same towel day after day.  Also don't wash your towels with anything else.  Just towels with a touch of bleach.  Don't load your washer with towels either.  Wash a few at a time so they can get clean.

Wear clean shirts so your arm has a clean sleeve.

Simple things that can be missed.

:twocents;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »