I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:23:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  "You canNOT be SERIOUS!"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "You canNOT be SERIOUS!"  (Read 3461 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »

Had my first transplant eval in '04.  Wasn't sick enough, so they filed me away.  Second eval in Feb this year.  Was really clever and brought lab results from '04 visit along with results from recent tests like mamo/Pap.  Given 3 months to complete all required tests;busted a gut and completed everything in 1.  Got call yesterday from transplant coordinator asst saying they didn't have Pap smear results.  Told him I gave those to coordinator in Feb.  He found them and said he now had everything he needed.  Get another call this AM saying he didn't have cardiac test results.  I called cardiologist and talked them into faxing them to transplant center.  Called coordinator asst to tell him that results were on the way;they appeared as we were talking.

THEN he told me that he didn't have ABO results.  I was gobsmacked.  Told him that I was tested back in '04 and had had 13 vials of blood taken back in Feb, that ABO would have been one of the most important tests.  He faffs about on his computer and says that he had a whole shedload of results but not that one.  I couldn't believe it.  The most important test, but no.  The transplant team meets next on 15th, so time is a factor.  I'm not going to wait an extra two weeks because someone FORGOT to test/confirm my blood type.  So he faxes an order to my PCP, and I run down to the lab to have the blood drawn.  I couldn't believe it.  Do you all ever feel like you have to do everybody's thinking for them?
And I was waiting for the cable guy who never did show up....                Rant Over.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:04:28 AM »

I think you get today's Golden Hoop Award, for jumping thru the most hoops the fastest!  :cheer:

Just in case you need some more practice - here's a few more.. .0000000000000000000000000   ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »

That is all I do --- always making sure A has what they need from B and then reminding them what they need to do!  And after a year on the list, you will have to renew tests -- and the next year, the next year............    It is such a visious circle and never ending.  Well, hopefully, one day it will end with a transplant  :2thumbsup;    It truly is up to us to keep on top of all the doctors, co-ordinators, etc.  No one cares about us as much as we do!!   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »

Boy do I know what you're going through.  They are busy, I'll give them that, but come on!  This is important stuff - to YOU at least, right?  Stay on them.  Apparently, all transplant staff go to the same training school because they all appear to be similar.  They did this kind of stuff with my testing donors too.  My brother had to go in early for all the blood draws.  Got to work late and all.  Then they called him a week later and said "Sorry, we didn't draw enough blood.  Come back".  He was so mad.  I don't blame him.  He had to drive all the way across San Antonio to do this and was late to work AGAIN.

I had all my testing done and then they told me I had to have a tooth pulled.  I went to the dentist and come to find out that my dental insurance was maxed for that year so I had to wait to have the tooth pulled in January.  Luckily we were in December.  Once that was done I went to the committee.  But prior to that, I thought I was on the list, or at least being processed.  I got a letter that said I was placed on the list but I was "on hold" or something like that until the tooth was pulled.  I was accruing time, but I would not be eligible for "the call" until the tooth was done.  I was finally activated on Feb 13, 2008.  I started my testing in Oct in 2007.  Hang in there!  Keep your calm.  From what I understand there is a lot of "mental testing" going on.  They watch to see how you handle stress, problems, etc.    :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »

Yep, I've heard that I will have to jump through the same hoops this time next year, which is fine because now I know what to expect.  The hardest part really is the bureaucracy; since I'm on an HMO, I have to have referrals for some of the tests, and it was a bit of a challenge to find out for which procedures I need referrals.  Next year I will know.

I also understand that these people are busy and that I am not the only patient they are trying to list, but really...to call me and tell me that they are missing one set of results only to then find it, and then to call me back and say that they are missing other results, and then to call me again to tell me that they forgot to test me for my BLOOD TYPE..it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  Fortunately, I'm still in reasonably good shape and can handle these obstacles, but what if I were really ill?  They shouldn't expect ill people to do much more than show up for tests and appts.  I know I should keep on top of people, but I do expect a modicum of competence.

But the asst coordinator was very nice and finally got his ducks in a row, so hopefully all is well.  I can take whatever they dish out as long as they are doing their job properly.  I can be very patient. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »

Welcome to our club MooseMom of idiot medical personell screw ups. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't want a more current ABO test when you saw them in February just for extra comfirmation. Hope you get your cable working.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »

Hope you had a lot of practice with a hoola hoop as a kid cuz the experience will come in handy now!  ::)  It isn't getting any better either.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »

Oh yea, know this song and dance. I was lucky, my nephrologist hand delivered things for me. I fortunately got copies of all my results mailed to me. I would fax it to him and he would take it to the coordinator. They "lost" so many things.
Marsh

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »

Been jumping through hoops for the last eight months.  Finally, got everything to the transplant center, then my insurance wanted additional tests!  Now, just waiting for my official letter.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

Been jumping through hoops for the last eight months.  Finally, got everything to the transplant center, then my insurance wanted additional tests!  Now, just waiting for my official letter.
OMG, it if takes 8 months, I'll just go hang myself.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »

Yes, it's a moving target. The first transplant hospital Jenna was listed at lost stuff, postponed stuff, then didn't tell us they were "between coordinators" for a couple of months so Jenna's file sat in someone's desk file until I called to find out what was taking so long. The next place she listed was a dream come true. There's definitely a big difference from one center to the next.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »

You can do this, MooseMom, even if it takes 8 months!   After you are listed at one center, it is a breeze getting listed at a second one.   It took me 9 months for the first center.  We were able to start donor testing during that time, so that helped me get through the waiting period.   Again, you can do this.  You are strong and intelligent.  And the days you aren't strong enough, come here and lean on all of us. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »

I lean a lot...

Marsh

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »

MooseMom, the 8 months was worth it.  Got my "official" letter yesterday.   I'M LISTED!!! :cheer:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »