I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How Bad is Contrast Dye
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Bad is Contrast Dye  (Read 8138 times)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« on: March 23, 2010, 05:57:08 AM »

I have been putting off a procedure due to things i have heard about contrast dye.

How bad is it on the kidneys.  If i only have about 15% funtion what are the chances it will totaly kill the remaining funtion i have?

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »

After the procedure you need to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water.  Can you do that? 

I had the procedure done (Heart Cath) when I was already on dialysis and fluid restriction so I could not drink that much and it took the rest of my kidney function.

Hope this helps. 

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »

yes i can drink that much.

So the water will keep the dye from hurting my remaining kidney funtion?

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:11 AM »

I thought if you had dialysis right after the procedure, it will keep your kidney function? I had a procedure for my fistula where they had to use the dye, and I had dialysis right after, and my kidney function is still the same.

What procedure are you having? I had a bladder test done with that dye after a surgery to see how things were healing, but I didn't need dialysis after, because it didn't go to my kidneys or something like that? So not all procedures with that dye will kill your kidney function, I guess?
I hope I'm not giving wrong answers!

-Brianna
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »

I personally wouldn't go near contrast dye unless it was unavoidable for a procedure that was absolutely necessary.  I've had a couple of tests done in the past that called for the use of contrast dye, but when I told them that I had kidney disease and should avoid the dye, they were able to use another method (usually entailed drinking something horrid instead of being injected with it.).  There are a lot of people out there with kidney problems who need procedures done, so I find it hard to believe that an alternative wouldn't be available for you.  Wouldn't hurt to ask!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »

I am hemorrhaging  from my right kidney.  And there may be a tumor.  They want to use the dye to see if there is a tumor.  But my Neph says only about 5% of PKD patients have cancerous tumors in there kidney.  He also said we could wait a few months and see if it grows.  If it grows then he said to have it done.

I also may have a blockage (aschmia) in an artery.  Found this out during my stress test to be put on TX list.  I have no symptoms and it is a 50/50 chance that i do or dont have a blockage.  So im nervous about killing what function i still have left.

So it is not just one but maybe two doses of dye i will end up needing.
As for pulling it out with dialysis i do PD so im not sure doing dialysis that way would get it out of my body.  But if i have it done i will drink plenty like Rerun said.

Thx for your responses.

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:14:53 AM »

I forgot you were on PD! Sorry! I'm on Hemo, so I don't know if PD would get rid of the dye. I wish I could be more help to you! :(
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »

No worries Brianna.  Others who read this will now know that dialysis(hemo) can drain out some of the contrast dye.  All input is usefull input

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »

I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to put your remaining kidney function at risk for tests that might end up showing that nothing was ever wrong in the first place.  Let us know what you decide to do; this is an interesting dilemma, and I hope everything turns out OK for you.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »

This vascular surgeon that I can't stand wanted to do a venogram so he could build a fistula, this man swares by them but I refused, the altrasounds are good enough for me. When I told him the dye could kill my remaining function he's like well your kidneys are pretty much gone anyways.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
cloud393

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »

My neph says NO to the contrast dye.  Like MM said, I also have needed tests that require contrast and they were able to use one that you drink instead of inject and it worked fine with no further damage to kidneys.  You shoud see about using the drink.  It does taste bad but they mixed it with 7-up so it was tolerable.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »

How would you describe the taste? Is it as bad as k-lite?
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

I would say it depends on what type of contrast, I had contrast dye to do my vein mapping for my fistula and I was fine. However, I absolutely refuse to do an MRI with contrast dye because that's the one I hear has given people problems. Over the summer I had a 'suspicious' looking spot on my liver that they wanted to get a better look at after viewing it on ultrasound and they wanted to do an MRI with contrast to which I refused, so they set an appointment to do a biopsy. My np from nephrology called in a furry as to why I declined and I was like look, I don't want it and they're more than likely going to end up doing the biopsy anyway. Which is weird because when I initially went for the MRI they had to call my doctor because I refused the contrast and he said I shouldn't get it anyway because of my kidneys, so I wonder why my np was so uptight about it...

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »

I know it's pretty bad. The first thing they asked me before the fistula plasty was "how much function do you have left" when i said about 4% (with dialysis as PD was failing) the surgeon sighed with relief. Had i had 15% i wouldn't do anything with contrast dye unless life threatening. I mean if it's to do with your heart i wouldn't put it off. It could very well kill off your remaining function so i guess you have to wiegh up the pro's and cons

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
chiefsfan301

Fish, Duck Hunt, Fish, DuckHunt, Golf and Football

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »

In order to save what function I have left I had to drink Acetylcysteine 20% before the procedure on my heart.

IGA 1994
Fistula August 2009
Dialysis October 2009
Approved for Transplant January 2010
Turned down ECK kidney January 2011
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 03:25:44 PM »

My husband had a procedure done withthat and they dialyzed him right afterwards.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »

With a transplant, they do not want us having the dye and usually have some other stuff to drink that starts with a G. I have it written down somewhere, but the stuff is nasty, salty tasting. I had to drink 6 cups (about 12 oz each), but was also used in oatmeal for a gastro test I had.

So hopefully you will be asking for more options other than they dye they want to use. It is your body and not their's to toy with.

Good Luck paul.karen

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »

With a transplant, they do not want us having the dye and usually have some other stuff to drink that starts with a G. I have it written down somewhere, but the stuff is nasty, salty tasting. I had to drink 6 cups (about 12 oz each), but was also used in oatmeal for a gastro test I had.

So hopefully you will be asking for more options other than they dye they want to use. It is your body and not their's to toy with.

Good Luck paul.karen

This has been my experience too Chris and I can't remember back to what went on when I was pre-transplant for the first time.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »

The studies I've seen, suggest that with contrast dye you have about a 3% chance of total loss of kidney function.

As others have already mentioned, dialyzing immediately afterward can reduce this risk.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »

Ask the tech when you get there.  MAke them aware you are a dialysis patient or in kidney failure.  Tehyc an change the type of contrast or some tests to safer stuff.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »