I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 01:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  After much preparation, home dialysis goes well
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: After much preparation, home dialysis goes well  (Read 1444 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 22, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »

After much preparation, home dialysis goes well

By GEORGE A. DOUGLAS
Special to the Journal Tribune
Published:
Monday, March 22, 2010 12:09 PM EDT
It was a giant step from my three days a week dialysis treatment at the York County Dialysis Center in Biddeford for the past two years and that of actually performing peritoneal dialysis in the bedroom of my Kennebunk apartment. But that step was taken a week ago under the watchful eye of Connie, my nurse instruction

All my supplies, box upon box, arrived on Friday and were stacked against the bedroom wall. I arrived at nine at Center in Biddeford and was greeted by Connie. After taking my weight and blood pressure, she suggested that I go through the steps – actually 17 if you count washing your hands while wearing a mask for three minutes – and then following the steps religiously .

I passed the test, and Dr. Michael, one of the nephrologists who follow the dialysis patients on a weekly basis, entered the room. He was one of the physicians who checked me out in the ER at Southern Maine Medical Center when I had fallen on the black ice while walking to my car several weeks ago.

Connie told him she thought I was ready to start my program at home and he instructed me to call if I had any doubts about my treatment or if I had a question. “We are here to be your consultant,” he assured me. “Don’t hesitate to call.”

The next step was to drive home with Connie following and for me to conduct my second treatment of the day in my bedroom. While I had a sandwich or lunch, Connie organized the supplies and then I went through the steps of the treatment.

All again went well, and I was on my own for the third and fourth treatment before falling asleep. Connie kept in touch on the telephone and the next day after a good night’s sleep – not getting up at 5 a.m. to drive to Biddeford for dialysis – I went through the four prescribed treatments at home.

Connie checked me on the telephone and warned me about the dangers of infection even though I followed each step of the procedure meticulously. The bedroom if not absolutely clean could cause an infection. I should make sure that all was clean, even the furniture wiped down with disinfection, including a bit of bleach.

Now, as I have written a number of times during the past two years, I’m not the greatest housekeeper. My generation is the World War II generation, which was called the greatest generation, but I remember if you went to Harvard or Yale or Dartmouth those years, a maid made your bed and tidied up your room. I’m not trying to excuse myself, but suggesting life was a bit different those days.

But I’m trying to follow Connie’s warning. I’m vacuuming, wiping down the furniture, changing the sheets frequently and trying to keep things in order.

Naturally, I was feeling the pressure on my first treatments alone. I think that is only natural at 86, my age, or even 56. But I do have to say. Connie, my nurse instructor, motivated me and kept me going. Without her compassion and expertise, I wonder if I had got this far. She is one of those persons who you meet in life, no matter what your age or circumstance, who plays a vital role in changing your perspective. And all I can say, humbly, God bless her and her work.

— George Douglas writes regularly about his experiences as a kidney dialysis patient. He is the former editor of the Boston Post. He lives in Kennebunk and can be contacted via e-mail at gadoug23@earthlink.net.

http://www.journaltribune.com/articles/2010/03/22/columnist/doc4ba78a2672589347222850.txt

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »