I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula "Owners" ;) Does your fistula.......Say what?........
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula "Owners" ;) Does your fistula.......Say what?........  (Read 13829 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 12:09:58 AM »

... and doing a good job of it if we're any indication :) :) :) :) :)

Still I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my cat. she's my best mate and she somehow knows when I'm feeling a bit flat or tired and even when I come in and crash on the bed rather than give her her food at dinner time she comes and sits with me and doesn't yell or anything.... and people say cats are selfish and only interested in you when they want something (eg: food). I don't believe it for a second. When you have a bond with a pet (and I would guess it is similar with dogs, but I am not a dog person myself) over a period of time, they can tell (just as you can with them in subtle ways)... and it's not just about "feed me" "pat me" etc. I know she is happy to see me when I come home. I also know she sits by the door for some time prior to me coming home (the carpet is always warm from where she has been sitting... so adorable!).

Sorry this has gone OT... but I am a bit of a cat lover if you hadn't worked that out :)

to get back on topic... I put my arm over my head earlier today at work and freaked myself out again! That is so cool!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 12:26:08 AM »

Does your fistula flatten when you raise your arm above your head?
Ya I didn't know mine did that til I tried it after reading this :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 01:48:35 PM »

I just a vision of everyone lifting their arms over their heads at dialysis before being put on and freaking out the entire staff!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Fighter

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 03:08:25 PM »

My fistula is flat all the time.
susie q

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »

Me too...  8)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »

Wait a minute, I just saw this what do you mean your fistula is "flat" all the time? How old is your fistula?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Jill D.

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »

If my arm is up against the pillow I can hear it all the way through the pillow :(

Me too...it's like the pillow amplifies the pulse sound...very annoying, it keeps me from falling asleep! Sometimes when I am at work and am going through paperwork, if the papers are laying on my wrist I can hear my fistula as it amplifies through the paper! :o

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
gizmar

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 06:45:09 PM »

My niece and nephew think I'm bionic - they love to feel the buzz of the fistula.  I don't seem to get many of the same symptoms as people here - just incredible itching - some days I could just rip my arm to shreds.  At first I thought I had an allergy to metal and then found out I have a sensitivity to the fibres in the dialyzer - now we just do a double flush before dialysis and it does help to take away some of the itching.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 06:52:53 PM »

My niece and nephew think I'm bionic - they love to feel the buzz of the fistula.  I don't seem to get many of the same symptoms as people here - just incredible itching - some days I could just rip my arm to shreds.  At first I thought I had an allergy to metal and then found out I have a sensitivity to the fibres in the dialyzer - now we just do a double flush before dialysis and it does help to take away some of the itching.

Tell me about it, my fistula is ALWAYS itching. But I am not sure if it is just the alcohol I use to clean my arm or my dry skin, but I scratch so bad that I leave marks. It really gets on my nerves.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

gizmar

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »

Epoman, the nurses have told me that alot of people are sensitive to the alcohol wipes.  They've also suggested I use cream on my arm to keep it moist.  I don't think anyone other than a dialysis patient can really appreciate how really insane the itching makes you.  I feel your pain brothah!!!

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

Hubby has a fistula like a garden hose.  It goes from his wrist up past his elbow.  He likes to gross people out by lifting his arm and making it go flat.  His buddy gets freaked out and will almost faint on the site of blood or talk of it.  He likes to do it to him.  Mean!!  He has trouble with itching too.  Has to use cream. Dr gave him hydrocotisone (spelling ) cream because tape was making his arm sore and red.  Finds it good for itching too.  I use same type for excema.  When our nephew was small he used to say there was a butterfly in Uncle Walt's arm.  He has a loud buzz.  I am use to it now but when I'd wake in the morning I would hear it under my head and think there was a big truck outside the house..  Most of the nurses in center trained on his arm.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
strateup

Another Day In the Life

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »

My fistula, in my upper right arm, also flattens out when I raise my arm.  Does anyone else have a problem with their fistula arm becoming fatigued easily?  I notice this especially when I am shaving.  I can also hear mine through the pillow and sometimes it itches like crazy.

Diagnosed ESRD 1982, Transplant 1994, Rejection 1 year out,  Started PD 1995, Peritonitis, Started Hemodialysis 1999, Switched to Home Hemodialysis 2010
Still Kickin A@@
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 07:54:46 AM »

Ya my fistula arm gets fatigued pretty easy.  Especially when lifting.  The latic acid builds up and burns right where the fistula is far more than anywhere else in the arm.
jollor

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 05:32:37 PM »

I love that your cat thinks your arm is purring that's hilarious. It surprised me one night when I was reading and started hearing this whoosh whoosh noise. It turned out the sound of my fistula was being amplified by the book in my hand. Very weird.
Panda_9

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 03:36:09 AM »

I have had to change my sleeping positing since getting a fistula. It is so annoying. I often wake up at night in the wrong position (bending fistula arm), and my arm is completely numb. It can get noisy too, especially if I have fluid on. I just change positions, otherwise I cant sleep.

When its cold my cat loves mine as well, only I dont really like him laying on it, germ factor and pressure. He puts his head right on the join and if you try to move his head he just moves it back lol
silverhead

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 11:34:23 AM »

Just remember that thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.........

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
shay_pcb

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »

I have 2 clotted grafts/fistulas in my arm; one upper and one lower. I don't notice the upper one, but my lower one is flat and you can see it perfectly anyway I hold my arm. I know it's bc it's clotted; I just thought that everyone should know what a clotted one looks like! lol
BigSteve

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 10:27:37 AM »

You guys are freeking me out. The fistula flattens, it purrs. I don't know. I have my preliminary appointment
with the surgeon on March 5th. Creatinine getting higher and it's time for a fistula.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

Ya my fistula arm gets fatigued pretty easy.  Especially when lifting.  The latic acid builds up and burns right where the fistula is far more than anywhere else in the arm.
Really? I would love to see a write up on that if there is any, so I can show my nurse ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 04:10:53 AM »

You guys are freeking me out. The fistula flattens, it purrs. I don't know. I have my preliminary appointment
with the surgeon on March 5th. Creatinine getting higher and it's time for a fistula.

Well BigSteve this is "A PLACE TO GET THE TRUTH" good or bad brother. But at least you will be informed. Good luck on your surgery and be sure to have them do vein mapping so they know where to find the good veins for a fistula. Vein mapping is not always done.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 05:48:51 AM »

Well BigSteve this is "A PLACE TO GET THE TRUTH" good or bad brother. But at least you will be informed. Good luck on your surgery and be sure to have them do vein mapping so they know where to find the good veins for a fistula. Vein mapping is not always done.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
That's right. It isn't always done. They didn't do it for me. But I really wish they had so maybe the first one would not have failed before it even got to be used! If you can push for one to be done then do it but usually they don't listen. Of course I am in a country where everything is paid for. In the States I would think they would do what ever you want if you insist as they are getting paid by you or your insurance or Medicare or Medicaid. So it is worth pushing.

And it might sound intimidating hearing that our fistulas make noise and flatten when we hold our arms up, but that is just gravity because it is bigger and the noise is something you want. It tells you that it is working. It is less intimidating as time goes on and you learn more and more. I tried to look at other peoples before I got mine but I didn't want to intrude. So now I am glad to show others just so they are less fearful. I think it is important.

I had tried doing a search on the net but I didn't find what I was looking for because I didn't know to search for AV Fistula. I searched for just fistula and ended up in Africa about the wrong side of the body :(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSteve

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »

Thanks for the input. My new nephologist who referred me to the surgeon said
that they did vein mapping. Any other things I should be looking for?

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »

Thanks for the input. My new nephologist who referred me to the surgeon said
that they did vein mapping. Any other things I should be looking for?
Also I found that since I have small viens that if I got dried out at dialysis that was before the surgery then it was harder for the surgeon to work on making my fistula. It is best to go off 1/2 kg heavy in this case if you got small veins.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »