I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Antigen questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Antigen questions  (Read 2154 times)
jvarnold

« on: March 15, 2010, 07:24:41 AM »

We recently found out my boyfriends mother isn't able to donate because she's borderline diabetic.  :'( She was a 3/6 antigen match. I am still willing but I am a 0/6 antigen. Crossmatch is a match with him though. What are the compications/problems/negative outcomes/anything with the antigens? The higher the antigen match the better? I've read what they were but I'm still unsure exactly. Does it have to do with your immune system? (So many questions I'm sorry!) My paternal aunt (deceased) and grandmother are diabetic but they aquired that in their older age and from being obese. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I am...ok, thanks in advance for answers!  :)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:06:01 AM »

I received a kidney from my sister-in-law a year ago and it was a 0/6 antigen match.  I'm doing very well a year out and we were told that the newer anti-rejection drugs are less fussy about the antigen match.  A 6/6 would give better odds but beyond that, the fact of having a living donor rather than a cadaveric far outweighs anything else.  There have been other threads about this topic and if I can find them I'll point you in that direction. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:57:01 AM »

My Neph, who is a professor of Medicine and well respected in this country nephrology wise, also told me that these days the antigen match isn't the most critical thing and for a live donation they would accept a 2, 1 or 0/6 match if the kidney was good and all that. I think though still for cadaveric they still want a good match.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »