I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 07:26:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  7 tips to keep your fluid down on dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7 tips to keep your fluid down on dialysis  (Read 6299 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 14, 2010, 03:56:55 AM »

7 tips to keep your fluid down on dialysis

March 2010
Health Tips Vitamin and Supplements Information

As any dialysis patient will tell you, keeping your fluid gain between dialysis sessions in check is not only important to your long term health, it is a major factor in your immediate well-being.

Keeping fluid level gains as low as possible between dialysis treatments will minimize the risk of congestive heart failure, pulmonary oedema, and hypertension. Cramps, headaches and breathing difficulties are short term side-effects of fluid overload, and whilst not as dangerous as the long term effects, these should be heeded as a pointer to fluid overload in dialysis patients.

Whilst every dialysis patient has their own special method of keeping their fluid levels in check, I thought it might be pertinent to explain some of the methods that I have found (relatively) successful.

1/ Buy a bag of ice. I have a large chest freezer in my kitchen, I buy a 5kg (approx 11lb) bag of ice chips from the service (gas) station, place it in the freezer, and suck on ice chips throughout the day. Make sure the freezer is in a convenient place, so you can reach it quickly to grab a few small pieces of ice, so you can avoid the temptation to fill a glass with ice. (In which case you might as well have that mug of coffee you wanted in the first place!)

2/ Get a GOOD set of digital scales. I have a set which measures with an accuracy of 200grams (don't we all wish we could afford the scales at the dialysis unit which measure to 50grams?!?), which is accurate enough to get a good idea of where you are at with your fluid gain. Work out the difference between your dialysis centre scales, and your home scales, so you can get an accurate reflection of your fluid gain. I weigh myself first thing when I get up in the morning (you'd be surprised how much weight you lose over a warm night!), as soon as I get home from work, and whenever I have a drink. This method is great in two ways: 1)You never (well, rarely, anyway!) get a nasty surprise when you arrive at dialysis and jump on the scales. And 2) You don't get the opposite surprise of getting to dialysis with only 1kg of fluid on, thinking: 'Damn, I wish I'd drank more!' (I often find myself in the ridiculous situation of forcing myself to have another cup of coffee before I leave for dialysis, as there's no bank for fluid, once you've had that dialysis, the opportunity to have that drink is gone forever!)

3/ Save up your drinks if you're going to need them. If you know you are going to an event where the temptation to drink more fluid that you should will be strong, save up your drinks beforehand. For example ' if you get off dialysis at lunchtime on Wednesday (meaning that you go back to dialysis on Friday Morning), and you have a function to attend on Thursday night, try to drink as little as possible between Wednesday lunchtime and Thursday evening, telling yourself that your reward will be the fact that you will be able to drink (nearly) as much as a 'normal' person at the function.

4/ Keep yourself busy! Any dialysis patient will tell you that when they're busy, they're not thinking about drinking. It could be a gentle walk, send an email to a friend, jump on the phone, or play with your kids. It doesn't matter, as long as it keeps your mind occupied.

5/ Frozen water. Freeze a bottle of water, containing the amount you have allowed yourself to drink that day, and drink it as it defrosts. This has the benefit of the drink being ice-cold, as well. The down-side of this is that if your bottle melts too quickly, you could find yourself at 3pm, with all your water gone!

6/ Spray bottle. Get yourself a spray bottle, and fill it with water (maybe with a little lemon juice or mint flavouring), and spray it into your mouth when you feel the urge to have a drink. Whilst this won't completely sate your desire for fluids, it may help you wait a little longer before indulging!

7/ Mints and toothpaste. Try sucking a strong mint, or even brushing your teeth. The feeling of a clean, fresh mouth will often lessen the desire to blow your fluid limit. (This method will make you nicer to kiss, too!)

I hope that these suggestion will help you in the dialysis patient's eternal quest to keep their fluid gain under control. But remember, life is for living too, and we, as dialysis patients more than most need to adhere to this edict. So whilst keeping your fluid gain under control is important for both your immediate and long term health, remember that if you've blown your fluid this time, there is always next time, so keep trying!

About the author: About the author: Stuart Drew is a 34 year old dialysis patient from Adelaide, Australia. He is a part time web geek, and runs the website therenalunit.com - a news service for all issues relating to kidney disease and dialysis. He can be contacted at stuart@stuartdrew.com
Author: Stuart Drew

http://www.1st-tipsonhealth.info/897595-7-tips-to-keep-your-fluid-down-on-dialysis.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »

thank you Okarol, I can also suggest to drink in little cups so you can fill them up to the rim, as it seems to trick my brain into thinking it is a full cup. love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »

Now I'm thirsty!

:stressed;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »

One of the most important tips is to cut back on your salt intake.
Watch out for any food that is processed or packaged.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »

I got rid of all my big glasses.  It was easier to stop at the right amount if a full glass only held a quarter of a cup of fluid in the first place.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »

Luckily no restrictions for me yet, but these are some good tips if I ever need them!
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »

8)

Thank-you, i was thinking the same thing.

Mike finds excersize to be quite helpful too  :)

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »

8)

exactly
How could you have a list of seven tips and not mention sodium?

Avoid sodium should be the first three tips. Pay particular attention to sodium given during dialysis - say no to sodium modeling, say no to dialysate with sodium over 138, avoid large doses of saline.

In the grocery store avoid any "fresh" meat that has been enhanced.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

I'd have to disagree with the ice cubes part.  I used to chew ice all the time when I still had kidney function.  It kept me from snacking all day.

When I first started Dialysis, I continued to chew on ice.  I found when I didn't put ice in my beverages, I was 1-2 kilos lighter.

This list certainly wasn't created by a patient. was it?

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »

I'd have to disagree with the ice cubes part.  I used to chew ice all the time when I still had kidney function.  It kept me from snacking all day.

When I first started Dialysis, I continued to chew on ice.  I found when I didn't put ice in my beverages, I was 1-2 kilos lighter.

It says: About the author: Stuart Drew is a 34 year old dialysis patient from Adelaide, Australia. He is a part time web geek, and runs the website therenalunit.com - a news service for all issues relating to kidney disease and dialysis. He can be contacted at stuart@stuartdrew.com

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:06:59 PM »

Duh, I'm an idiot.  Maybe if I followed more of the seven rules, I wouldn't feel so awful and my reading skills would be more concentrated.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
murf

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »

Would like to make two suggestions to this rather excellent list. I use chewing gum as it creates saliva and tricks the brain in thinking that you have been drinking. I also aerate my ice cubes by twisting the ice cube rack as It freezes. It produces a larger sized cube and cracks in your mouth as you suck on it. Lovely!

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »

Yeah, it was actually  ;)

That list was written about six years ago, at which time I'd been back doing my second stint of haemo for around 2 years (3 years after I wrote that I was the fortunate recipient of my 2nd transplant, which is still functioning).

That was written from my experience, and what worked for me as a young male living through hot Australian summers and mates who drank heavily.

So yeah, that stuff worked for me.

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »

Yay! Good to see you Stu!  :cheer:

Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »

Yay! Good to see you Stu!  :cheer:

LOL, thanks mate.

I haven't been around for a loooooooong time it seems, really appreciate the warm welcome. I couldn't resist sticking my head back in when the email came in mentioning the article.

I guess I just kinda drifted away from as much of the renal stuff as possible what with the functioning transplant and all. Just want to spend the time I have with it working doing as much as I can spending time with the kids and wife, building the business so that when the inevitable happens I'll be able to support myself etc.

It seems you guys are going from strength to strength here, which is awesome. You provide an amazing service to people in real need and a great community of support. (That sounds condescending, but seriously, it's not!)

Seems I should pop my head in here a little more often  :)

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »

G'day Stu... very cool to have the actual author come in and make some comments!!!

I'm so happy you have your second transplant and hope it works out very well for you for years to come!!!!!

:ausflag; :ausflag; :ausflag; :ausflag;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
jessshar

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »

What works for my Dad is Gum. He loves trident layers. He chews it all day long and it helps ward off a dry mouth. Since he started chewing it his fluid gains have been great! The only down side is that he likes to save it and we find gum all over the house that has been chewed. YUK!

Sharon
Father on hemo since 2/2009; age 73
I'm his prmary caregiver
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »