I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Using the "Kidney Disease Card"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using the "Kidney Disease Card"  (Read 32703 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: March 13, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »

Hi all, I used the "KD card" at work yesterday. We're getting a new manager, and  they want to put him in the desk that the guy no one likes is currently using.  This means that "guy no one likes" needs to move. (Let's just call him "Bob".)  Bob is gross.  Numerous guys have witnessed Bob leaving a stall in the men's room only to either rinse his hands or just simply walk away.  He has been given the nick name "Sh!t and Rinse", or S&R for short.  Also, he tends to cough LOUDLY, to the point where I think he is coming up with his own version of health-care reform.  If the organ needs to be removed, don't do surgery, just cough it up and out!  Anyway, there is currently a free desk in another row by another co-worker, who protested Bob's moving next to him, and said he'd "kill him".  (Bob also has an attitude issue with many in the department.  Also, bear in mind that this office is about 80% men, 20% women.) So then I found out that they were going to move my neighbor next to the "kill him" co-worker, and move Bob next to me.  I protested, and sent my supervisor a message that being that I have 25% kidney function, I cannot and willnot sit next to somoene who does not wash his hands after using the bathroom, and regularly coughs up his lungs.  He replied with "Ok, Understood" and now Bob's move has been put on hold.  Just wondering how any of you would have handled this.  Also, if they moved Bob next to me, I would have been inbetween him and another co-worker who had a major falling out a few months ago.  I'd rather not be in the middle of hostility.  That one was so bad that security got involved.

Thank you,

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »

I think you did the right thing. Your health is at stake.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »

I am with you.  And why not use the KD card?  It works for me in some sticky situations ;)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »

Yikes...I'd use any card I could, even fabricated ones, to get out of that sticky (no pun intended) situation.  Glad you have an understanding boss.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »

Play the card.  I have a disabled parking placard and I use it when I need to!

One of the perks for being on "life support". 

My security system went off on a false alarm and I only have to pay half the fine if I'm disabled.  I played the card.

:urcrazy;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »

Since life has dealt you the "Crap Kidneys" card, you are entitled to use that card in any way you see fit.  That's just The Law According to MooseMom.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »

That's wht I would have done too. Plus your boss isn't supposed to tell everyone the "why" behind what he's doing because your health issues and requests are personal information not to be disclosed.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

Thank you alll for your replies.  That makes me feel much better knowing that I did the right thing! 

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »

Here's another point of view Karen. If you decide to do PD or have a transplant, you still wouldn't want "Bob" next to you. Better known as thinking ahead. Why wait till then and have a delay in reacting to a situation which could take sometime to find either you or him a desk.

So I see no problem with what you did and you have more of a reason than the other people who just don't like him, you have your health.

So does your work provide Clorox Wipes due to this guy? I would want to touch anything where he's been including the break room.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Lisa

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:58:18 PM »

I would have done the same...good job standing up for yourself!

Lisa
born 1966 with PKD
ESRD 1987
PD started 1987
1st hemo 1989 (permacaths, grafts and fistulas)
1st Transplant 1990
Transplant failed 1994
Hemo 1994 (permacaths, grafts and fistulas)
2nd Transplant 1995
Hemo 2010 (permacath hopefully merging into PD)
PD training 3/16/10
CAPD...the CCPD until present
...waiting to go on "the list"
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »

Well done, Karen! How is it that so many workplaces have 'Bob' clones on the books?

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 01:29:30 AM »

Good Thinking on your part.  :thumbup;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »

Sounds like you did the right thing.  It also sounds like "Bob" is the same "Bob" who was such a pain in the ass on one of our trips!  I occasionally play the KD card, like when the AAKP convention got canceled due to hurricane Frances.  I was waitlisted for a flight, so I told the attendants that all of my PD supplies were either at home in California or at the hotel in Florida, and that, "I have begun to die."  A little melodramatic, as I have since found I can go without dialysis for at least 3 days.  It worked, though, and I got on the plane.  Never be afraid (or even ashamed) to use the KD card!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »

The Law According to MooseMom.
I love this! 

For what it's worth Karen, I probably would have used the 'But my Blokey has KD' card if I worked with 'Bob' (for very selfish reasons obviously).  Strangely enough though, I don't use that card and I think I should, despite the fact it would make my job near impossible to do if I did (I work with teenagers who have scant regard for soap or general hygiene and who tend to come from homes where hygiene is probably the last thing anyone thinks about ... eugh!)

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »

Gross Monrein!  "Sticky"    :rofl;

I would use it.  But I have the transplant card.   ;D  I use the hell out of that.   "It's cold and flu season.  Sorry I can't come to your (crappy) party".   Oh no.  What I'm I going to say over the Summer?   :o

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

Oh, well, if we're confessing to using that card, add me to the list!  Mine was to get out of watching a high school basketball game.  If it had been my friend's teenage daughter playing, I would have thought about going, and dragged along enough hand sanitizer for the whole audience.  But it was the kid's boyfriend playing.  Oh, for pity's sake - I don't even know this boy!  And it was winter, and still cold and flu season, and I'd only been back home for a couple of weeks, so it seemed like a reasonable excuse.

Karen, it's not an excuse when it's based in that much fact!

Gross Monrein!  "Sticky"    :rofl;

I would use it.  But I have the transplant card.   ;D  I use the hell out of that.   "It's cold and flu season.  Sorry I can't come to your (crappy) party".   Oh no.  What I'm I going to say over the Summer?   :o

"My antibodies are acting up."  That oughta confuse them enough. . .  >:D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »

:thumbup;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »

I regularly use the 'I'm caring for My mum who's got Kidney Disease'...

I'm not a night owl at the best of times, and I don't particularly want to go to a Daniel O'Donnell concert... I HATE sport, so I don't want to go and freeze my bits off looking at a bunch of 'grown up' men chasing a ball around a field, either... So I've often used the 'I'd love to, but I can't get someone to look in on Mum that evening'...

Or No, I don't particularly want to go to your party where every second person's a smoker... I've asthma FFS!... And NO, I DON'T want to visit your child in the hospital... So I play the 'I'd love to, but I'd be afraid of picking up something and taking it home to Mum'... Works EVERY time!....

I'll stop playing the KD card when I don't have to live with the consequences of it!....

Darth....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:22:32 PM by Darthvadar » Logged

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »

I have no problem with you doing this. You have a legitimite reason, and heck if the other guy can use the "I'm going to kill him!" card, which suggests management have bigger fish to fry in terms of manging the interpersonal relationships, then you have every right to bring up a concern like that. Let's face it the more your boss knows about your situation the better hopefully for when you do start D (not for years, yet!) when it does come to stuff like being careful about germs, catching colds etc. If it's stuff you've brought up before it's consistent and they will have more understanding(hopefully) of your situation.

So yeah, good move - certainly don't feel guilty about it. It's something the docs have told me before - avoid chances to get colds, flu etc and if this guy is unhygenic, and worse, coughing his germs all over the place - the further you are from him the better for YOUR health - and that is what is important here.

And the good thing is that so far, you've "won" - the boss said he understands and "Bob"'s move is on hold. Get them to do an Office Space and move him down to the basement  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »

Office Space, classic movie  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;  Hopefully "Bob" doesn't have his own personal stapler there.  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »

My husband and I don't have the best relationship with his parents.  But each Christmas, we get together for lunch for some token face time.  However, for the past several years, I've played the CKD card; my husband has explained that I have a very restricted diet (true), and since restaurants don't give information regarding the potassium and phosphorus content of their menu items, it's just not very safe for me to eat out (again, true).   What are they going to say?

OK, who else has played the CKD card, and how?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »

Oh yeah, use that card! I would hate working with a dirt ball that. I hate to sound so vulgar but, he's probably picking his nose all over the office area and never using a tissue. I would probably come right out and say "dude, you're nasty & you ain't sittin' by me". lol  Having kidney disease IS a serious situation. Do what ever you have to do to protect yourself. If you have to elaborate even a little more about your health, by all means do it. Germs and virus and yucky stuff spreads so easily even when we take precautions. Don't feel bad about what you're doing.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Mizar

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »

Oh My Goodness, I'm so Glad to see this Post. I thought I was the Only One, Who Played, that Card.  My Husband, is the One, that does Dialysis. He has also, been on Antibiotics, for the last 14 Months. ( A Nasty Bacterial Pneumonia, in His Lungs, which to this Day, has not cleared up completely ) We went to a Dinner at a Restaurant last Week with some other Couples. At the Dinner Table, I pulled out my Bottle of Hand Sanitzer and started using it. I saw, Eyes, start, Rolling, all around the Table. I just said, " What? I'm not a Germaphobic, if that's what You are thinking. We just can't afford, to have any more Sickness "  Ya Gotta, do, what Ya, gotta do!!

sarahmanda

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »

I know its been a while since anything was posted to this topic, but I'm feeling it tonight :)

I was only diagnosed about a month and a half ago, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for playing the "sick card."  It has gotten me out of having to deal with a certain co-worker i can't stand a couple of times, and I won't lie...I use it to sleep all the time.  Yes, I know the dialysis makes me tired, but if I'm the least bit sleepy I don't feel bad for going to bed...and now my boyfriend doesn't get upset over it either!

I also used the "kidney card" to quit a job that I absolutely hated.  It was tough for me to get out of it as the owner of the store I worked at was rather slick and wanted me to still come back and teach classes from time to time. She just didn't get it that I hated working there more than anything else (especially since that job was the main cause of my stress that led to my BP going through the roof that led to my kidney failure...)

I see no problem with using the card...they are your lemons - make some lemonade!

"Sometimes the path you're on is not as important as the direction you're heading" *Kevin Smith*
kyshiag

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:44 AM »

I look at it like this.  You're gonna get all the negative things that go along with this disease.  In fact, many in society are gonna work hard to ensure you get the negative things.  If there is anything good to be gleaned from this, I say take it with no regrets.  I want my husband to have the special park, modified work schedule, be the first to get on a plane, and, yes, even disability should he qualify. 

I even like that his normal easy-going, pushover nature is sometimes thrown out the window now and he has told some people who needed it where to get off.  If I feel so compelled, I will say, "He's not feeling himself.  His CKD is acting up."  More often than not I just let the person take their just desserts.

Of course, I'd rather he not have this disease but that train has left the station.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »