I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Just a Question or Two
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just a Question or Two  (Read 2721 times)
Bub

« on: March 11, 2010, 06:35:43 AM »

For the experienced Nx User:

1.) Does the Nx method handle high phosphorus any better then in center hemo?

2.) I have been told that PD does not do well with people that are, shall we say of a certin girth?

3.) I have heard many cases where users had to switch to in center hemo.  Why?  If that is the case, how long?  And finally why bother going through the trouble and expense?

Thanks!
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »

Bub.... Nxstage is easy     and my labs are really good,,,,,,  its a little bit of work but you control the fluid retention and you can drink about anything you want.....and eating just about what ever you want.....   its a little bit of work....but way better than going in center..... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Bub

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:44:39 AM »

Well I have to say that I am very interested.  Looks like I will not be getting a transplant although my center is trying to force me in that direction, and I am uncomfortable facing years (and hopefully, years) of in center hemo.  Too complicated in and some ways too personal, but no transplant.  I have to admit that I am intimidated by having to switch to Nx and leave my comfort or discomfort zone behind.
M3Riddler

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »

Well I have to say that I am very interested.  Looks like I will not be getting a transplant although my center is trying to force me in that direction, and I am uncomfortable facing years (and hopefully, years) of in center hemo.  Too complicated in and some ways too personal, but no transplant.  I have to admit that I am intimidated by having to switch to Nx and leave my comfort or discomfort zone behind.

Bub,

I would recommend NxStage. You are at the freedom to dialyze on your time and in your conditions. You are not just another number in line waiting to take up a seat for 3 or 4 hours 3 days a week.

Regarding phosphorus control. Yes, NxStage is very capable of handling phosphorus levels. Its not the machine, its the amount of time on a treatment. Phosphorus is a larger molecule and takes longer to equilibrate into your bloodstream once the initial phosphorus is removed from the bloood. In other words, once you are on your machine and running, it cleans the blood of the phosphorus etc, but then it takes time for the phosphorus to get back into the bloodstream to remove a further amount. This goes the same for potassium.   Time is everything.

///M3Riddler

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook