I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 01:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Your chair
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your chair  (Read 7290 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »

I am trying so hard to get myself ready for dialysis, and as I wrote in another post, I am leaning to hhd with NxStage.  I am a planner; if I have a plan, then I find it easier to cope, so I am now mentally planning such things as storage space and where I'm going to place my machine (OK, so I may be overthinking this, but it makes me feel better...).  As I mentally picture my setup downstairs (TV and DVR at the ready, along with phone and computer), I am stuck when it comes to THE CHAIR.  What kind of chair do you all use?  I went by Great Escapes last weekend and found a fabulously comfy leather recliner with power buttons that do everything but make me dance; it's expensive, but considering how much time I will spend there, I think it will be an appropriate investment.  But then I took a look at a butt ugly medical recliner online, and I wondered if that would be more practical.  It just looked so sterile and depressing...  So, what kind of chair/recliner do you all use while using your NxStage machine?

Thank you for your replies.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »

Go visit your local dialysis center.  I think you get one of those.  If you crash the chair has to be able to go clear back so the blood dumps to your head if you pass out. 

Not trying to scare you and maybe on Nxstage this doesn't happen.

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »

I thought alot about that too   before I started.....  In center  the chairs were just too unconfortable.....  I dont like to recline..... and in center I never put my feet up...   everyone else did but me.....  the techs thought I should but I looked at them funny.....  anyway....   I like to do things when on D.....  computer , tv ( for noise value unless something good like Nova , Nature,  etc....) projects.... I like to build birdhouses and well just about anything that I can do sitting there....  I dialysis 4 hours 6 days a week.....so I can get alot of things done during that amount of time.... I thought about a recliner too.... but i went to sit in some of them ...they rock  or swivel and they are low..... not easly to sit up in to do projects....so I just sit in my office chair and have a table in front of me that I can do everything I need to do..... cannulation , computer, snacks, doggy treats.... remote control....  find what will work for what you want to do...... some people sleep..... I dont ....  what do you plan on doing while your on D.......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
vcarmody

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:00:48 PM »

Our center did not supply a chair, which from what I read through Medicare they are supposed to.  We ended up buying a very comfortable recliner that is power so he can push the button to put the feet up in his own with his needles in (my husbands access is in his right arm and no one seemed to have left hand recliners).  I only wish we had gotten a leather recliner in case we have an accident, but my husband was dead set against leather so we got microfiber.  I really wanted one that would go into the Trendelenburg position just in case, but I had no luck finding anyone that would sell a private party a true dialysis chair, everyone kept trying to sell me geri chairs.  Good luck!

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »

What is the "Trendelenburg position"?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
vcarmody

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »

Its the head down position.

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »

Have you guys ever use that position....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
SkyDancer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »

I know of a place to buy a dialysis chair,it's in Fort Wayne,Indiana.They told me that it would be paid for by Medicare,but I don't know if it's the full amount.It's like the ones they have in the clinics,with optional side tables.One place to check out would be in home medical supply stores that sell things like wheelchairs,walkers,home oxygen, etc. If anyone is interested in my source just send me a message for the address and phone number.
Harvey Wells

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »

It's my understanding that your dialysis center should provide you with a dialysis chair.  Every center seems to be different on this, I've heard massage and heat will not be paid for by Medicare - don't want anybody to want to get on dialysis!  :sarcasm; I have a WINCO recliner that has 'cool gel' that's very comfortable and I purchased the heat and massage.  I don't think I'd get it again, not worth the extra money.  Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate, when you see what the center gets paid for your treatments and particularly once you get home and do it yourself, they're not going to lose money if they buy you a chair.  Question becomes, whose chair is it?  Two months on dialysis and you get a transplant, do you keep the chair, do you want to keep the chair?  Two years?  Five years?

I'm trying to get them to pay for my motorhome...I mean I dialyze in it at least 40% of the time.  I'll let you know how that goes but their reaction is the same as yours....Are you crazy?  I reply, what's your point?

My point to you is don't hesitate or be shy about asking, tell them you don't won't one that has been in storage that isn't being used in the center.  You deserve to be comfortable and the chair should be functional and I don't think it's out of line if you ask that it matches your furniture.

Survived PD Jan '98 - Jun '98
Survived a transplant Jun '98 - Jan '06 (my wife was my donor)
Survived in-center Jan '06 - Mar '07
I now thrive on SHDD on NxStage 6 days a week since Mar '07
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »

I prefer the Laz-z-boy chairs, specifically the "Reclina-Rocker" chairs because the arm rests recline along with the chair seat and back -- making it much more comfortable for your arms and shoulders.

8)

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/2076-7027/Dalton-Pillow-Top-Recliner/
http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/5489-3236/Gavin-Reclining-Rocker/

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »

It's my understanding that your dialysis center should provide you with a dialysis chair.  Every center seems to be different on this, I've heard massage and heat will not be paid for by Medicare - don't want anybody to want to get on dialysis!  :sarcasm; I have a WINCO recliner that has 'cool gel' that's very comfortable and I purchased the heat and massage.  I don't think I'd get it again, not worth the extra money.  Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate, when you see what the center gets paid for your treatments and particularly once you get home and do it yourself, they're not going to lose money if they buy you a chair.  Question becomes, whose chair is it?  Two months on dialysis and you get a transplant, do you keep the chair, do you want to keep the chair?  Two years?  Five years?

I'm trying to get them to pay for my motorhome...I mean I dialyze in it at least 40% of the time.  I'll let you know how that goes but their reaction is the same as yours....Are you crazy?  I reply, what's your point?

My point to you is don't hesitate or be shy about asking, tell them you don't won't one that has been in storage that isn't being used in the center.  You deserve to be comfortable and the chair should be functional and I don't think it's out of line if you ask that it matches your furniture.
When you get that Rv Paid for you let me know.....   my medical center told me that no one gets chairs and that I would need to buy my own.... I am starting the negotiate process....any good ideas on that process...

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Harvey Wells

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

I think a copy of the Medicare rules would be sufficient, this is from Home Dialysis Central

"The Medicare Claims Processing manual that addresses home dialysis states this:

The following items are paid for and must be furnished under the composite rate. The facility may furnish them directly under arrangements, to all of its home dialysis patients. If the facility fails to furnish (either directly or under arrangements) any part of the items and services covered under the rate, then the facility cannot be paid any amount for the part of the items and services that the facility does furnish.

•Medically necessary dialysis equipment and dialysis support equipment;
•Home dialysis support services including the delivery, installation, maintenance, repair, and testing of home dialysis equipment, and home support equipment;
•Purchase and delivery of all necessary dialysis supplies;
•Routine ESRD related laboratory tests; and
•All dialysis services furnished by the facility's staff.

See Section 80.1 of the Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 8 - Outpatient ESRD Hospital, Independent Facility, and Physician/Supplier Claims."

Last time I checked chairs were furnished in=center

Survived PD Jan '98 - Jun '98
Survived a transplant Jun '98 - Jan '06 (my wife was my donor)
Survived in-center Jan '06 - Mar '07
I now thrive on SHDD on NxStage 6 days a week since Mar '07
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

I have the money to pay for a chair; that's not my question, really.  I already have one picked out that I like; I never even imagined that it would be provided for it.  I'm just asking from purely a medical standpoint.  Does leather pose any kind of infection risk?  Is it better to get vinyl?  God, this sound like such a stupid question, but I have learned not to assume anything.  Like I said, I found a leather chair that is really fab; is there any reason for me not to get it?

M3Riddler

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

I am trying so hard to get myself ready for dialysis, and as I wrote in another post, I am leaning to hhd with NxStage.  I am a planner; if I have a plan, then I find it easier to cope, so I am now mentally planning such things as storage space and where I'm going to place my machine (OK, so I may be overthinking this, but it makes me feel better...).  As I mentally picture my setup downstairs (TV and DVR at the ready, along with phone and computer), I am stuck when it comes to THE CHAIR.  What kind of chair do you all use?  I went by Great Escapes last weekend and found a fabulously comfy leather recliner with power buttons that do everything but make me dance; it's expensive, but considering how much time I will spend there, I think it will be an appropriate investment.  But then I took a look at a butt ugly medical recliner online, and I wondered if that would be more practical.  It just looked so sterile and depressing...  So, what kind of chair/recliner do you all use while using your NxStage machine?

Thank you for your replies.

MooseMom,

Its great that you are planning.... I would suggest to get whatever type of chair fits and best fits you. Remember you will be in it a few hours so you want to be comfortable. There are no guidelines to what you can purchase if you are purchasing it. 
One thing you may want to consider is the material its made of in case of any spills. I would stay against any type that will absorb spills.

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »

Riddler, that's sorta what I was thinking.  Thanks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »