I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  working with low hemoglobin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: working with low hemoglobin  (Read 5494 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: February 24, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »

for those of you who have low hemoglobin, how do you manage work. I recently found out that mine was low, and I can deffinatly feel it! However I have never been low at work before. I can't call off because of it being low because my work says if your phatigued you still have to come in. Any thoughts suggestions on how to stay awake and focused while at work?
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »

Otto drinks energy drinks, he even brought a can in for the DR to look at to make sure nothing would interact with meds.....

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »

Hope you have an understanding boss, mostly.  I finally gave up and went on disability when I was finding it necessary to lay on the floor in the restroom for 10 minutes at a time before I could drag myself back to my desk. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:58 PM »

Same here Jbeany,
When I found myself lying on the ground at every possible break, I knew it was time for disability. I just couldn't get the job done anymore.
However, talk to you doctor about your low hemogolobin and find out if you are at the point where Procrit or Epogen will help.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
melobelle

Melody "melobelle" Murphy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »

Hi Troy, your doctor should sign a form for you to go onto disability. Even though I'm on social security/disability, I work part time to supplement my income. I have to as I wouldn't be able to survive. But I can't make more than $700 per month and still get a disability check. I too have low hemoglobin, and my blood pressure runs low, which doesn't help. If you are trying to work full time, also being on dialysis, I may be wrong, but I would think it is dangerous. The fatigue your work is talking about is NOT the same kind of fatigue a dialysis/ESRD patient has. Please be careful! Melody
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »