I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Coconut milk
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coconut milk  (Read 21607 times)
murf

« on: February 23, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »

Does anyone know if coconut milk is high in either potassium or phosphate? Found a delicious non-dairy ice confectionery made with coconut milk. ???

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:50:42 AM »

ding, ding, ding.... Zach?

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »

That sounds moorish, yum yum
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »

Go to USDA

http://www.nutrition.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=11&tax_level=1

just enter in the food and it will give all kinds of information .........
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:32:42 AM by tyefly » Logged

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »

Coconut Milk    has  100mg of Phosphorus   and 263mg of Potassium in a 100gram serving.......enjoy..

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »

Tyefly is correct.

Here is the link refined a bit:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

If you search for Coconut milk, you'll find several listings:

Nuts, coconut milk, canned (liquid expressed from grated meat and water)
Nuts, coconut milk, frozen (liquid expressed from grated meat and water)
Nuts, coconut milk, raw (liquid expressed from grated meat and water)
Puddings, coconut cream, dry mix, instant, prepared with 2% milk
Puddings, coconut cream, dry mix, instant, prepared with whole milk
Puddings, coconut cream, dry mix, regular, prepared with 2% milk
Puddings, coconut cream, dry mix, regular, prepared with whole milk

I chose the second selection: coconut milk, frozen (liquid expressed from grated meat and water)
and selected 1 cup:

Phosphorus, 142   mg
Potassium,  557 mg

So that's a bit high in potassium.

But it all depends on the concentration of the coconut milk.  The ice cream may be diluted somewhat.

8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:04:23 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »

Hmmmnn, never tried coconut milk, although the kids have. Have though, used Virgin Coconut Oil for the many benefits it offers one.
Namely the medium chain fatty acids (mcfa) and the lauric acid. When I think of it, I just down a teaspoon full of VCO, hold it in my mouth and let the saliva mix in and swallow. Should do this three times a days, but when I'm involved with other things, like posting in IHD, another forum, and my blog, tuning up my Mantis tiller, and other lawn stuff, repairing my computers, just plain not around the VCO jar to take a swig. Anyway our brain like the (mcfa) , while the body likes the lauric acid.
Actually slowing down some what, and am leaving the lawn stuff for the baby kid, (Ha at 50 he's really not a baby)

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »

Does Organic High Heat Sunflower Oil or Refined Walnut Oil have similar healthful attributes to Coconut Oil?
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:21:14 AM »

Does Organic High Heat Sunflower Oil or Refined Walnut Oil have similar healthful attributes to Coconut Oil?
 8)
Ah, loaded question. .:Kit n Stik;
Ha, checking into any type of oils (oral / cooking) is almost imposable to decipher due to so much misinformation. To often, bad information is cited as a valid reference source. Had to dig deep into my files, and found scant info on Sunflower Oil and Refined Walnut Oil. What was significant in my meager findings was the omega 6  content, and susceptibility to any heat.

So NO, Organic High Heat Sunflower Oil and  Refined Walnut Oil, IS NOT on my OK listing.

Ones body does need some saturated fat, regardless of who says 'you shouldn't'.  At least is how I treat my body.
 Zach you have a neat, inquisitive mind set. :beer1;

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
goofball

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:47 AM »

Maybe you can substitute rice milk, it does have a nutty taste, and it's low in K & P.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »

Maybe you can substitute rice milk, it does have a nutty taste, and it's low in K & P.
Was a time the food chain was supplying uncontaminated products.
White rice is now highly arsenic laced, (according to latest reports) so will mostly avoid eating it.

talker

Be Well

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »

You put the lime in the coconut then shake it all up and..oh wait. Sorry. Those were words to an old 70's song. Nevermind.. :guitar:

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »

You put the lime in the coconut then shake it all up and..oh wait. Sorry. Those were words to an old 70's song. Nevermind.. :guitar:
Harry Nilsson     "called the doctor woke him up , said doctor--------"

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:13 AM »

Harry Nilsson     "called the doctor woke him up , said doctor--------"
I've discovered the MC (Music Choice) channels on TV to prime and "snap-n-tap" by and to help guide my husbands needles down his buttonholes. We're now finding ourselves playing these music channels, laughing and singing thru entire treatment sessions and before we know it, it's time to turn down the volume and concentrate on pulling his needles but oh...another Barry White song comes on and... :yahoo;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:18:55 AM »

In our house the only music allowed is from the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s. The "Golden Age " of Rock and Roll.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Karlise13

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »

SOme coconut milk products have as much as 600 mg potassium in them. They can vary a lot. Just be really careful.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »