I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:25:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Questions for NxStage users
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions for NxStage users  (Read 5201 times)
SkyDancer

« on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »

Hi  :waving;,
                 I have a few questions about supplies using NxStage.We've been told a little information by the nephrologist and the home nurse,but I wanted to ask actual users of this system.Besides the machine and bags of fluid do they supply you with anything else? Such as BP cuff,masks, sterile gowns,biohazard and sharps containers? I didn't know if you actually needed all of this stuff or not.Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated. :thx;
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »

I just finish training and am at home now... first week...   the clinic supplied me with all of that stuff... scale, BP, sharps container, mask, all of your supplies.... I brought them home from the clinic....   several boxes....I am still working on a chair.... I was told to just come and pick up what ever I needed from the clinic....   So far so good..

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »

When we started NxStage (July of 2007), Marvin's clinic supplied BP cuff, scales, fax machine, centrifuge, thermometer, etc.  Every month when we go for Marvin's check-up, we pick up more gloves, masks, sharps containers, band-aids, gauze, chux, tape, alcohol swabs, betadine swabs, needles, vials (for lab draws), heparin, etc.  (And, yes, you need all of the above.)

NxStage sends us the dialysate, warmer disposables, waste line extensions, purification paks, cartridges, saks (for making a three-day batch), etc. (anything dealing with the machine itself).

Make a place for plenty of storage!  Get your space organized so you have "a place for everything, and everything in its place."
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »

The only things we supplied are the trash can and bags, and bleach.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
SkyDancer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »

WOW! Thanks for the info everyone." I think I need a bigger box" :o Hopefully I can come up with a good storage solution.
silverhead

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »

I purchased a 2 door, 5 shelf metal cabinet that conveniently holds all the supplies except the cartridges, and saks for the main storage, and for daily use supplies i found a 7 drawer plastic unit (3 large and 4 small drawers) that holds a week or so of daily use "stuff" that is next to the Cycler.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Zog

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »

We get Henry Schein flexible fabric strips to cover the needle sites from our center.  They are hard to remove without pulling on the needle or skin.  We used to get Kendall Curity.  They remove easy. Get the Curity bandages if possible.  Bill Peckham recommends buying Walgreens store brand bandages for this reason.  Band-Aid fabric strips also remove easily.  We have been using those lately.  I need to buy a value box of 1200 online somewhere for cheap and just get it over with.

You are going to get a lot of supplies from your center, but don't feel like you can't go out and get some better ones (or demand them) if the ones they give you don't work well.  We got our own scale and chair.  You are going to be spending a lot of time on dialysis.  Treat it like anything else in life.  Some people will spend a bagillion dollars on a car or dining room set they sit in a few minutes a day.  If you have to sit on dialysis for a few hours, might as well invest a little in making the experience better.

We have two of the 7 drawer Sterilite clear plastic boxes for syringes and bandages.  We have a wide 3 drawer one the we keep needle sets in because they don't fit well in narrow drawers.  We also keep gloves and masks in there, although we don't use them any since we stopped using the catheter.  If you ever notice most nurses and techs wear masks and gloves for their protection, not yours.  The gloves aren't sterile, they just keep nurses from getting cooties or AIDS or hepatitis should they have a cut on their hands.  Just watch one the next time you go to a center, they will touch everything in the room and 3 or 4 patients with the same set of gloves.

We got a Tablemate II, its great if you want to eat or work on something while you are in the chair.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:10:19 PM by Zog » Logged

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
SkyDancer

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »

If you ever notice most nurses and techs wear masks and gloves for their protection, not yours.  The gloves aren't sterile, they just keep nurses from getting cooties
:rofl; The Techs at mom's clinic are somewhat better than the new nephrologist.Her first day there she dropped a pair of gloves on the floor,and then put the same gloves on to examine one of the patients.( Don't think too kindly of this neph,but not possible to switch right now ).The techs and the facility manager just have a little problem with passing gas in front of the patients too. :puke; I'd be nice if they gave you a gas mask to wear.

As for the band-aids and tape,we already buy our own for mom to take to her clinic.The manager told us the company will no longer pay for them.We also have to make sure they are latex free due to allergies.
Zog

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »

The manager told us the company will no longer pay for them.

Those cheap a$$ bast*rds!  Have you ever seen the bills for one treatment?

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
M3Riddler

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »

Hi  :waving;,
                 I have a few questions about supplies using NxStage.We've been told a little information by the nephrologist and the home nurse,but I wanted to ask actual users of this system.Besides the machine and bags of fluid do they supply you with anything else? Such as BP cuff,masks, sterile gowns,biohazard and sharps containers? I didn't know if you actually needed all of this stuff or not.Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated. :thx;

Skydancer,

You may have already heard from others, but here is how it is handled:

NxStage will supply you monthly with:
1.Dialysate bags if you do not use pureflow
2. drainlines
3. warmer bags (depending on new or old warmer model given)
4. Any Pureflow supplies - saks, paks, control panels etc...

Your Clinic will provide all ancillary supplies...
1. saline bags
2. syringes
3. needles
4. sharps container
5. gowns if needed
6. masks
7. gloves
anything else that may be needed.  They may or may not provide you with a bp machine and a few others. You may have to purchase on your own.

///M3R
www.nxstageusers.com

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »

[/quote]
That they are Zog!I can't believe what they charge for treatments and any "budget cuts" sure don't reflect on our bills.Even the nephrologists charge an arm and a leg just for 1-2 minutes of their time.NxStage is looking better and better every day.
M3Riddler

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »

That they are Zog!I can't believe what they charge for treatments and any "budget cuts" sure don't reflect on our bills.Even the nephrologists charge an arm and a leg just for 1-2 minutes of their time.NxStage is looking better and better every day.
[/quote]

Yes,
Unfortunately, the bills are high and you know they will only go up as the services go down. There is a whole section on Medicare and Dialysis and how it will affect you. Message me and I can send you the link. It explains what will and will not be paid for by Medicare. Some are good, while others bad.

But for freedom, NxStage will give you indepence you will not have in-center.

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »

Can you put that information on here about the medicare what they will pay for     for all of us to read......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »

Home Dialysis Central has an Ask The Expert forum where you can ask Beth Witten questions about Medicare and or insurance coverage for home dialysis. She is a great resource.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »