I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medical Breakthroughs
| | |-+  Stem cell treatment
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stem cell treatment  (Read 31414 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:15 PM »

I am glad this appears to have helped your partner though the overall practice does concern me on several levels.

What I would like to know is what exactly was your partner's kidney failure from? For example I can't see how stem cells could help something like FSGS (scaring) or PKD. Perhaps it is only useful for specific situations.

You mention cost but have not been specific. How much did this foray to Mexico cost for the procedure? Didn't it just take a couple of hours? How long did you (he) have to stay close to the clinc for observation or any other work?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »

Happy for his success.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 04:38:28 AM »

If it works ..dont knock it! Unless someone tries these new advances we will never know if it works or not . I was talking to one of the nurses on my renal unit and her friend has cancer and is trying stem cell therapy and she says her results are looking very good ! and that she doesnt think this treatment is as far away as we think for mainstream use!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:34 AM »

Melanie, I am so pleased to hear that things have worked out for you with the stem cell operation. I bet you are over the moon. God is good.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »

This is wonderful news.  I am so happy for you and your partner.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »

If this is for real, can you please provide a link to the medical clinic in which the treatment occurred so that I may conduct my own research along with more information on what kind of kidney disease was treated and how stem cells helped the malfunctioning kidneys to heal.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
alaphair

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »

I am thrilled for your friend. please send links ... what form of KD does your friend have?

alliecat
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »

It looks like 3 strands from this person about this have been merged. Good plan on the part of moderators.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:14:21 PM by Sunny » Logged

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »

This is the 3rd post about this today. What is up with that?  Is this some sort of "robo posting"?
Is there any legitimacy at all to this? I have posted on all three, this included. If stem cell therapy really exists, sign me up,   quick!
(by the way, my hospital offers stem cell therapy too. But you have to be in a study, and you have to have a transplant. Results of the study are published for all to see. Where are the results of this study?).

Wallyz

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 09:42:50 PM »

There are no medical clinics in Mexico doing renal stem cell work.  This is a scam.
Wallyz

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »

THere are no CLinics in Mexico doing stem cell research or therapy. This is a scam.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:44 AM »

THere are no CLinics in Mexico doing stem cell research or therapy. This is a scam.

I doubt very much this is a scam! As a scam usually leads to some sort of benefit for the poster eg ; advertising or trying to get money and as they are not trying to do either ..i dont see why you should think its a scam as it would benefit nobody !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:46 AM »

I'm not commenting here in any way on the intentions of  Everlasting, and I'd like to celebrate anything in which people may find hope and comfort.  However, there are very many ways in which desperate people are "scammed" daily by unscrupulous "healers" who offer expensive but essentially useless treatments.  Clinics in Mexico have been at the center of this type of controversy for a number of years and in the long run if a person isn't harmed, other than perhaps by spending a lot of money on hope, then so what, it's a personal decision.

My understanding of Wallyz post is not that Everlasting is scamming anyone but rather that the clinic in question is scamming them.  It's always a fine balance between skepticism and hope, and innocent people are routinely roped into paying for hope and encouraged to promote it too.

P.S.  I still spend too much money on anti-aging hope in a bottle even though I KNOW that I will NOT look ten years younger in six easy weeks.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:23 AM »

I've actually been to a seminar on adult stem cell therapy.  My sister was invited and there were "Refreshments Provided" so I went with her!   ;D

The basic theory makes sense.  When an egg is fertilized and splits there are all the DNA instructions for a human body.  Brain, eyes, kidneys, heart, skin, etc.  So they are basically just trying to turn on the instructions for regeneration of that part of the body gone bad. 

They had some people who gave testimonials.  This one guy could barley get up and walk to the podium.  I whispered to my sister "he better take a few more pills".  But, he told that six weeks prior he was bed ridden from a car accident with no promise to walk again. 

I've been to religious healings too and seen the same thing.  But, those of you who don't believe in God may find hope in science.

I hope Everlasting's experience is positive for years to come.  Keep us posted.

Everlasting

our community

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »

Sunny:  Thank you for your comments on my efficiency in posting our announcement re stem cell therapy.  My role on this site is that of:
1) an advocate (thus the the posting on the adovcate board)
2)  another is posted on medical break throughts and justly so and
3) finally under General Discussion.
     Not in my wildest dreams have I thought that a member would scan each board catagory i.e. why would an individual with kidney failure take from a reduced energy source to do so.  From the goodness of my heart I gave thought to all members and by posting on the appropriate catagories I would reach those who might be interested in what our successes have been.
You suggest that I should be concerned of multiposting and state you wonder what the gain is.  I should explain that my involvement in this site surrounds my partner's needs and his kidney failure gave us reason to turn to stem cells.  If you think I am participating in this stem cell issue for a gain - I TAKE IT PERSONALLY AND AS A TREMENDOUS INSULT.  You have no right to critize at this level as I too received stem cells and in my case the outcome has not been as rosy as my partner's results.  Personally, my disease is lethal and progressive and now that I have reached out to all options I must sit and wait for the iinevitabile
If you have so much energy to sit and read all IHD postings we will pass on the name of the Clinic in which my partner and I received the stem cells so that you can do the research.....it would not be to our advantage to gather my research outcomes and forward them to you as they would likely not be received as valid information.  I should remind you that you are addressing your comments to a medical researcher and a chemist
    I wish you well in your quest and by all means connect with the Internatioinal Stem Cell Institute (on Internet).  I will leave this with you as I am too fatigued to continue on this issue.
Everlasting

This is the 3rd post about this today. What is up with that?  Is this some sort of "robo posting"?
Is there any legitimacy at all to this? I have posted on all three, this included. If stem cell therapy really exists, sign me up,   quick!
(by the way, my hospital offers stem cell therapy too. But you have to be in a study, and you have to have a transplant. Results of the study are published for all to see. Where are the results of this study?).
Everlasting

our community

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »

My Friends:  I am sorry our words of celebration has, by several members, been received as threatening, mis-belief and name calling. 
Before another word I do wish to thank those who have responded in the spirit in which our announcement was presented.  Sunny - you are out of the water and give me great reason to reserve my energy and terminate my participation on this site. 
My basic goodness has gone wrong and energy wasted!
I will be giving my participation a little more thought and assure those who have questions of the stem cell process that we experienced.
Thank you Rerun for merging my messages.
Everlasting (timeline ? - read my response to Sunny under the catagory Medical Breakthroughs
Morein:  a special thank y ou for your support regarding my intent.
Billybags:  your words are heart-warming
Kickstart:  I can always could on you --- much appreciated
Everlasting (?)
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »

Thank you for your reply Everlast.
In fact, I do have plenty of time to spend scouring the internet. I am on disability and the internet is my connection when my energy is low.
The reason I am so interested is because my kidney failure is due to kidney scarring. If stem cells can help to regenerate scarred tissue, I am all ears. Maybe you can e-mail information so I can look into this.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »

???
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:30:37 PM by Sunny » Logged

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »

Most readers scan the new topics since they were on last, so yes all 3 would show up.  I merged the two but will leave this one alone.  So, yes please stick to the two active threads that you have started for us to read.

Thank you,

Rerun, Moderator

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »

I have not had a chance to see that thread but everyone here has something to offer IHD. Everyone has an opinion whether it coincides with each other or not. That is OK do not take it personal, I would rather have honesty in viewpoints. As long as it doesn't result in personal attacks it is ok.

Sluff/Admin
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »

Thank you for your post Everlast. I hope your partner never needs dialysis.  As with any medical procedure check with your Doctor on your own unique situation but if stem cell therapy works, then why not.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

yeah look I'm not trying to knock it per se. All we have though are some person's comments on an internet board.

I would be the first person to cheer if ANYONE is relieved of the need for dialysis and improved kidney function!!! I'd be cheering in the aisles for them and frankly, I'd want to know more and consider it for myself if it was practical. I'd rather try stem cell therapy than buying a kidney on the black market, but I do have concerns over how the stem cells are gathered in some parts - and I'd want to use my own adult stem cells rather than those harvested from a foetus or other source.

We've read over the past six or so months Everlasting's claims and stories about going to this clinic over the boarder, but never seen any names of the clinic, or anything rather than general rather than specific information regarding the nature of the kidney failure in question, what the unit is, what exactly they did, where the stem cells came from, what followups have been required, etc etc.

I would like to see more concrete details before I jump up and down about this.

Let's face it, if great many people were being helped in this manner(I am NOT going to say cured) then you would think the practice would be more widespread, and documented in medical journals and so on.

I want to see that kind of thing.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »

I agree 100% Richard. But.. if this was a new breakthrough what an awesome thing it would be.
Everlasting

our community

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »

My Dear Friends:  My emotions of disappointment, feeling discredited, with loss of dignity, of good will and respect leave me with little energy to continue on this site.  From the very beginning of my participation I have questioned the negativity of the name of the site however the messages I received in response to questions did over-ride any reason to feel that the site had any intent or capacity to be negative.  Unfortunately this seems to be far from the truth.
     For the disbelievers and for those who do not have the capacity to share in a situation whereby a member has found resolution to his life-threatening kidney issues is most unfortunate.  What happened to the compassion and good will?
    i am tired of trying to lift the spirit of others and have provided a success story ---- one that I had hoped others would embrace and even possibly follow suit.
     For the disbelievers I would suggest you test the waters by contacting the clinic in which my partner received the stem cells.   You will find answers to your questions from a very approachable individual by the name of Chuck Sheldon, Vice President of Patient Advocacy at Chuck@istemcelli.com  or from an administrative resource person Rita Alexander at Rita@istemcelli.com.  These individuals are employees of the International Stem Cell Institute, 1050 E. Piedmont Road, Suite E 179, Marietta, Georgia 30062.
    I trust you will find answers to your questions or concerns.
"      For those who have addressed the cost issue, my response is that "yes" it is EXPENSIVE and I suggest you ask personnel at the Institute regarding their fee schedule.  i will pass on the fact that it is $40,000. in Germany, $100,000 in China, and $30,000 to $40,000 "off shore".

Everlasting
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 07:10:46 AM »

My Dear Everlasting, this site is a place for anyone to discuss and have an opinion.  That has been done.  I hope you find hope in your new discovery in stem cell research.  The guy that came on here telling us we could all be saved by taking a 2 hour sauna everyday was also met with much skepticism.  He may have found the truth, but we have not heard anything.  Please don't be mad.  IHD has much negativity.  Those on dialysis understand.  I love this site because we help people on dialysis or about to start dialysis.  I wish I would have had this site in 1987 when I found myself in the hospital hooked up to a machine that I knew nothing about.  Your stem cell therapy may well be the cure, but you cannot shove it down people's throat.  Just state your truth and leave it.

I really do hope you found the cure.      :cheer:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »