I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 08:17:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Thanksgiving Rant
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thanksgiving Rant  (Read 22482 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2006, 12:59:37 PM »

I hope you made their day a good one by being pain the the butt!  Afterall when they screw up your day, you make their day, too.
I hope your Thanksgiving gets better as the day goes on!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving all you Americans :P

I thought in my unit no days are moved but I just found out yesterday that I will have my dialysis day on Dec 25th changed from Monday to Sunday Dec 24th. Same with New Years.  ::) Guess all units do this. And since I am in the evening .. guess this year I won't be going to mass with my mom in the evening like I do every year :(

Sorry if I took this off topic but my Thanksgiving was last year :P and I was commenting on this:
In the 5 years I've been attending my unit, we've dialyzed on every holiday except Christmas.  Except for last year, when Christmas fell on Sunday, we have all had our schedules shuffled so that no one has to be there on Dec. 25.  Our unit is not open on Sunday except for Christmas week.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 03:18:38 AM »

AFTER dialysis......I went to my Friend's Karen and Arden's house.  She is like Martha Stewart.  The table was gorgeous.  She had home made rolls, Green Bean Casserole, Corn Casserole, Turkey (of course), two jello salads, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, and a Pumpkin roll for dessert.  Lots to drink.  I had a little of everything.

I guess what I missed was the fun of preparation.  I made deviled eggs and took them, but they wouldn't peal right and so there were some holes missing in the serving tray!  Lame!  I missed having time to do a good job.  I felt like a scrub for showing up to this nice meal with crappy deviled eggs and nothing else and not helping!!

But, anytime you are with friends it is a good day despite dialysis!

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 06:33:50 AM »

Give them Hell Rerun
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 09:07:13 PM »

Awww Rerun  :cuddle; I can tell you are the type that my mom would love to invite to dinner to help out!! Ummm I don't know for sure since I am not American .. does thanksgiving always fall on a Thursday?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Fox_nc

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 10:20:23 PM »

Fourth Thursday of November.

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »

I guess it would be hard to give thanks while on a machine. My clinic changed the Monday-Weds-Friday to, Friday-Sunday- Tuesday. Myself, id have liked to keep my schedule.

Joe Paul,

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that machine keeps you alive, no? And I would hope you would be thankful for being alive. My center is not open on Thanksgiving and I only dialyze two days a week (Tues and Sat), but if it were and I went three days a week, I would have no choice but to go to dialysis. Getting a transplant is too important to me to screw it up by skipping D for the sake of a holiday if I don't have to.

So, you don't get to sit and watch the football games and drink beer with the guys or whatnot or for you ladies, sitting in the kitchen gossiping...so what?  So, you'll be eating a reheated plate...big deal. At least you're alive to eat it.

What's more important, your life or goofing off on a holiday? Some of you who are not waitlisted that are complaining and refusing to go on holidays, this is non-compliance and therefore an issue that transplant teams do look at. Is helping to make the stuffing really worth spending the rest of your life on dialysis?

I just found out that Valentine's Day is a Saturday and rather than spending it with hubby I will be spending it at D (AKA The Freakshow)...I don't like the idea of being at D on V-Day but if I want to stay waitlisted, it is what I must do.

In a nutshell, Thanksgiving is not worth missing D over if you are scheduled on that day, they are not trying to be mean to you, they just want you to have your treatment.

Oh, and Rerun? That comment about "Filipinos" was hateful and mean and you know it. You wouldn't like it if thoose people attacked you because of your race, now would you?  Those people are the people who help you recieve dialysis, you know. It's one thing to complain that you don't want to go to D on Thanksgiving, it's quite another to spew racial hate. Not cool.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:27:59 AM by Kitsune » Logged

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 10:40:18 PM »

Kitsune are you having a bad day or week or month?    To be so hateful towards people who are seeking support, or are giving support on this board is unwarranted.  You are attacking someone who has asked for help or has made a personal comment on their own schedule.  I am sure he is well aware that dialysis is a life saving treatment. How about a little patience with people on line here?

Besides that post was made in 2006. You are a little late in making a comment about it.  If your purpose for coming here is to hurt someone's feeling you have done a pretty good job of it. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 11:00:25 PM »

Joe Paul,

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that machine keeps you alive, no? And I would hope you would be thankful for being alive. My center is not open on Thanksgiving and I only dialyze two days a week (Tues and Sat), but if it were and I went three days a week, I would have no choice but to go to dialysis. Getting a transplant is too important to me to screw it up by skipping D for the sake of a holiday if I don't have to.

So, you don't get to sit and watch the football games and drink beer with the guys
I find what you say here offensive. You need to step off, and thank God you only go 2 times a week. Oh, BTW, I dont drink beer

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Kitsune

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 11:03:39 PM »

Kitsune are you having a bad day or week or month?    To be so hateful towards people who are seeking support, or are giving support on this board is unwarranted.  You are attacking someone who has asked for help or has made a personal comment on their own schedule.  I am sure he is well aware that dialysis is a life saving treatment. How about a little patience with people on line here?

Besides that post was made in 2006. You are a little late in making a comment about it.  If your purpose for coming here is to hurt someone's feeling you have done a pretty good job of it. 

No, I am not trying to be hateful, I am trying to make people see that they should be grateful for dialysis until the day if or when they can get a kidney if they are eligible. In some countries, they let people die for less than kidney failure. If the center schedules you on a certain day, you go...this is not a spa treatment.

As anyone will tell you, indeed I am a brutally honest person who says it like I see it...and I see it as when you signed up for dialysis, you signed a contract that you would be there for your scheduled number of days a week. If you don't want to do it right, don't do it at all. There are plenty of people in Third World Countries dialyzing one day a month with outdated machines, reused needles, and water-sterilized reused one-use only dialyzers (because of lack of money for proper equipment) who would love to be able to recieve dialysis in a decent clean center on any day of the week, while there are people here griping about having to dialyze on Thankgiving. These people can trade places with the Third World dialysis patients and they can see how good they really have it.

We should be lucky we're not in a Third World country, we could have it a lot, lot worse than possibly having to dialyze on holidays, at least here we dialyze with modern, clean equipment.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just being honest. And the truth hurts.

It's easy to achieve
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »

:thumbdown;
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:10:34 PM by Joe Paul » Logged

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Kitsune

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »

No, I am not trying to be hateful, I am trying to make people see that they should be grateful for dialysis until the day if or when they can get a kidney if they are eligible. In some countries, they let people die for less than kidney failure. If the center schedules you on a certain day, you go...this is not a spa treatment.

As anyone will tell you, indeed I am a brutally honest person who says it like I see it...and I see it as when you signed up for dialysis, you signed a contract that you would be there for your scheduled number of days a week. If you don't want to do it right, don't do it at all. There are plenty of people in Third World Countries dialyzing one day a month with outdated machines, reused needles, and water-sterilized reused one-use only dialyzers (because of lack of money for proper equipment) who would love to be able to recieve dialysis in a decent clean center on any day of the week, while there are people here griping about having to dialyze on Thankgiving. These people can trade places with the Third World dialysis patients and they can see how good they really have it.

We should be lucky we're not in a Third World country, we could have it a lot, lot worse than possibly having to dialyze on holidays, at least here we dialyze with modern, clean equipment.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just being honest. And the truth hurts.

Oh, and I didn't mean you JP when I said the stuff about beer drinking, not everyone does, but when you said it's hard to give thanks while sitting on a machine, not really. You could give thanks for life or that this country has the funds and technology to provide decent, clean, safe, hygienic dialysis and modern machines for you to use instead of the terrible conditions in other countries which I mentioned earlier. I do daily.

It's easy to achieve
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »

Centers often make holiday changes depending on the management and the scheduling. It often has little to do with what works well for the patient. No one said they are not grateful for life support Kitsune. But they don't have to love what they get stuck with either. The dialysis centers work FOR the patients, but some forget that.

If you spent time here, reading more posts and getting to know members, you would realize that Joe Paul is a good guy, he doesn't complain and he's been through some tough times.
Honesty doesn't mean you have to be callous and unreasonable.

You are very fortunate that you can get wait listed. Many members will live on dialysis until they die. They don't have the option you do. Lighten up.

The comments about Rerun's religion are inexcusable. You've been warned about personal attacks. You can amend your post or be banned, you choose.

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 11:13:09 PM »

I think you are preaching to the choir here Kitsune.   We are all aware we need to go to our dialysis sessions regularly.  It is a no win situation for some of us.  It is just sometimes we have the need to bitch about the situations we find ourselves in.

I am happy you go to dialysis only 2 times a week. How nice for you. I have been going for ten years, three days a week. I have not skipped a session. However if I want to complain about schedule changes I am going to complain long, loud, and hard.

In case you have forgotten this site is named Ihatedialysis for a reason.  Epoman wanted a place where people on dialysis could come a rant and rave and gripe and not have their posts pulled off because it was honest. I have ranted and rave don this board and do not feel I should be censored because of it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Jess21

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »

i am going back to my original center for this week since I'm on a week of vacation from school.  The FMC I go to IS closed on Thanksgiving..my MWF has turned into Monday Wednesday Saturday.  Saturday afternoon should be interesting....

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »

Marvin was in-center for 5 1/2 years the first time...then transplant for three years...then back to in-center for almost 4 years...he's now on home hemo (the last 16 months).  So, I guess his in-center time would be 9 1/2 years total.  His clinic never ran on Thanksgiving Day or on Christmas Day.  He was MWF, so during these weeks, he went Sunday, Tuesday, Friday  (the TTS people went Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday).

Was the change in his normal routine (MWF) an inconvenience?  Yes, but we adjusted.  We planned our holiday celebrations around his adjusted schedule.

If his clinic had been open on Thanksgiving (and he had been a TTS patient) or if it had been open on Christmas and Christmas fell on a MWF, would he have gone?  Yep, you bet he would have.

I'll never forget the first Thanksgiving after Marvin started on dialysis (1995).  That was back when my Mom's whole family (sisters, brothers, their kids, about 40 people rented four-five beach houses in a row) spent a week at the beach for Thanksgiving (haven't done that in 5-6 years  :(   ).  That week, we traveled back and forth to the beach for Marvin's treatments (we'd ride about an hour at 4:30 in the morning so he could be back at his clinic on time -- then back to the beach that afternoon after treatment) three times that week.  On Thanksgiving Day, before we ate, somebody said, "I'm thankful this year for ..." and it started the whole group going around the room saying what they were thankful for.  A promotion at work...a beautiful, sunny day...lots of loved ones around...a healthy new grandbaby, etc., etc., etc.  When it came to Marvin, he said simply, "I'm thankful for my dialysis machine."  My mom started crying and said, "The rest of our things seem rather shallow compared to Marvin's."

This will be the 14th year Marvin will say he's thankful for his dialysis machine.  He's very, very, very lucky.
However, this year (for the second year in a row), we're even more thankful because his dialysis machine is at HOME   :yahoo;  :clap;  :yahoo;  :thumbup;  :cheer:  .

Marvin is also on "the list" again, so we're thankful for that, too.  But with a PRA of 98%, we realize he may be on dialysis for the rest of his life.  That's okay.  We can handle that, too, if we have to.

My mom's best friend is a Filipino lady.  She's absolutely precious -- loving, giving, kind, warm, generous.  She rents my parents' downstairs apartment; she's a "visiting" teacher from Manilla (first grade).  She came to the US two years ago because she could make so much more teaching here than she could in her homeland.  Her husband died five years ago from kidney failure.  He had been on dialysis for a couple of years, and she went bankrupt trying to pay for his treatments (had to pay up front before a treatment in the Philipines).  She is especially fond of Marvin and hugs him more than she hugs the rest of us.  I think Marvin's plight brings back memories of her late husband, whom she misses so very, very much.

I'm not trying to attack anybody here, or anybody's feelings about anything.  I just saw this thread and thought I'd add my two cents.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »

thanks petey, but you got me crying again  :'(

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »

petey, your  :twocents; is just fine, in fact, throw in a few more. my center will be closed tomorrow. my mwf schedule is sunday, tuesday, friday this week. i'm grateful that the staff will get to spend the day with their families and not have to deal with us. most of them work very hard and do a good job. of course, as with any job, there are a few exceptions. but they still deserve the day with their families. i'm also grateful for the people who won't get thanksgiving off, hospital staff, firemen and police. they will be working hard on my behalf so i can have a safe day with my family and friends.

happy thanksgiving one and all.
(i'd shake my secret santa package, but it's marked fragil  :santahat;)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »

petey, you do have a way of making some of us cry.  :'( When Len was doing in center, he went on TTS and it always got changed around during the holidays. We were thankful when when started at home and made our own schedule. Happy Thanksgiving.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »

I go in ea;ry tnight 7p.m instead of 8p.m. Seems the morning team at the center will be in early and wants us out in a timely manner.

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »

Funny to read a post TWO YEARS OLD.  Things have changed since 2006.  Now I have Thanksgiving and go to dialysis at 7:30PM and let them suck off all the potassium that I plan on eating.

The newbies crack me up.  Someone has been on dialysis for 5 to 6 months and lecture us on how thankful we should be.  Let me talk to you after 15 years.  Oh and only on 2 times a week?  What a breeze!
                               :rofl;

I'm not going to be listed so I can do what I want.  I'm not going to play the "compliant" game or you will be taken off the list.  I've had my kidney.

Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:48:55 PM by Rerun » Logged

Kitsune

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »

Funny to read a post TWO YEARS OLD.  Things have changed since 2006.  Now I have Thanksgiving and go to dialysis at 7:30PM and let them suck off all the potassium that I plan on eating.

The newbies crack me up.  Someone has been on dialysis for 5 to 6 months and lecture us on how thankful we should be.  Let me talk to you after 15 years.  Oh and only on 2 times a week?  What a breeze!
                               :rofl;

I'm not going to be listed so I can do what I want.  I'm not going to play the "compliant" game or you will be taken off the list.  I've had my kidney.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Actually I've been on D for almost two years but I know the alternative is worse than the procedure so yes I am thankful for it (not happy, mind you but thanklful). And it's none of my business if people don't want to be compliant, but if negative things happen because of it, that's the consequences of their actions and has nothing to do with the staff or dialysis itself and they have no room to complain because it is preventable.

And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

It's easy to achieve
Brightsky69

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

UGH!!  I hate hemo! I am glad that the clinic I go to is on a holiday schedule and I have tomorrow off. Granted hemo is a lot better this go around then 17 years ago when I tried it. I don't know how you guys do it for years upon years.  :bow;

I want to get back to PD and stay at home.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »

As long as Nebraska beats up Colorado the day after Thanksgiving it will be a great Holiday. And I am very thankful I can spend this day with my children no matter where that is.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »

the Aggies are going to embarrass us today against Texas
glad Allen is red shirted this year :rofl;
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »