I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  have you ever had a tech do this?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: have you ever had a tech do this?  (Read 4875 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: January 27, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »

Hi all,
I had a tech once that just rolled up my sleave didn't even listen to the bruit or feel for the thiill but instead just rolled up my sleve and started sticking. Are some techs really that confident they can do that?
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »

Ummm - time to demand a different tech!  Checking for the thrill, and making sure they know the fistula isn't clotted ought to be SOP.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »

Congratulations.  For whatever reason, you've been selected to experience Tech Who Doesn't Give a Damn.

This tech will ignore proper guidelines for patient safety and simply try to get you hooked up as quickly as possible so they can return to their tech area and gossip about how drunk they were last night.  They usually spend a lot of the shift mocking patients and cackling at high volume.  Occasionally they will bring in food they knew you can't enjoy just to make you feel bad about yourself.

In the future, DEMAND another tech.  And if it happens again, report them to the Clinic Manager.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »

The techs where I am have needle in hand and always scare me when they check the thrill before beginning.  They stop for just a minute, then continue.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »

I've caught more than one tech not use an alcohol wipe on the line port for a post blood draw.  The lines have been hanging there for 4 hours and they are just going to stick a needle in my blood with out "trying" to at least wipe if off. 

Where do they get these people?

caringpct

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »

It is policy of most places to check the thrill and bruit every tx. As a tech I check my patients' access and ask them if they have noticed anything different about it. Also I ask if there was any trouble the last tx.
If your tech doesn't ask about it or check then ask for some one else.

As far as the gossiping I wish I had time to talk to my co-workers during work. (not gossip just talk)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »