I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 12:42:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Do any hospitals do short daily dialysis for admitted patients?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do any hospitals do short daily dialysis for admitted patients?  (Read 2269 times)
Zog

« on: January 26, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »

My wife, Jenn, has been at Duke twice for long stays and has missed short daily dialysis while being there.  Are there any hospitals that have embraced short daily dialysis or nocturnal daily hemodialysis as the new standard or at least an option for admitted patients?

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »

When I had to stay in the hospital for parathyroid surgery, they bumped me back onto a three day a week schedule, in spite of my being on Nxstage 5 days a week.  Thankfully, it wasn't a long stay.  I doubt any place is going to go to the extra effort and cost.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »

I don't think it would be an option here in New Zealand.  Our centres are too small - plus we don't even have nocturnal in centre at all.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Zog

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Jenn does NxStage 6 days/week normally.  She is in there following her parathyroidectomy last Thursday.  She was in the hospital for a week after our daughter was born also.  It is really hard on her being given a few liters a day through an IV.  Her calcium is low as expected after surgery so they have been giving her calcium with an IV.  This is great for her calcium level, but she was carrying 7.1 liters on Sunday night after not getting dialysis since Friday morning.  She convinced them to bring a machine to her room, which was a big production.  They are still pumping her full of saline.  She gets more dialysis tomorrow.  Thank goodness.

What irritated me was the resident doctor(s) who act like their machines are "better" because they only have to do it 3 times/week.  What is better about carrying 7 extra liters of fluid around? 

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »

ARgh!

Petey's husband Marvin was at Duke recently. Perhaps you could PM her to find out if she was able to get him short daily. She is an outspoken advocate for him.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

The hospital I use has hemo and will do it 3 times a week. They also bring the machines to pacients that are in stepdown ICU.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

When I had to stay in the hospital for parathyroid surgery, they bumped me back onto a three day a week schedule, in spite of my being on Nxstage 5 days a week.  Thankfully, it wasn't a long stay.  I doubt any place is going to go to the extra effort and cost.

You would think that your doctor would be able to tell the hospital how much you need to dialysis.....   I mean he is the one who writes the percription....I think too many places just want to do the minimum  and /or they just want to do it one way....I mean  my doctor said that I could do three hours  three times a week while others have to do it longer  like four hours three times a week.....   others have different times but only for three days a week....  it too bad we cant have more choices....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »