I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  losing the thrill, should you really go to the er?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: losing the thrill, should you really go to the er?  (Read 5379 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: January 19, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

Hi all,
I ask this question because my thrill stopped working one night so I paged my doctor, he told me as long as I'm feeling fine otherwise not to go to the er that they'd put me on the schedule tomorrow, but I've read where others have been advised to go to the er when not feeling their thrill so was just wondering is it really an emergency or does it depend on the hospital / doctor?
Thanks,
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »

My husband was told to go to ER ASAP so they could check if it was a clot. They didn't want to take the risk of losing it.

tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »

I'd say go to the Emergency Room. The other week I had this problem. On Saturday Jan. 9, I noticed my fistula felt different. I didn't check for the thrill or anything. Then on Sunday my fistula was swollen and very sore. So I called my mom and asked her to go with me to the ER. I couldn't feel the thrill anymore. I was taken back to a room and had an ultrasound done. About 30 mins later the nurse came back and said that the doc said my fistula was clotted off. I was told to report to the access center at Methodist hospital at 8 am Monday morning to have my fistula declotted.
So yes, you should go. It is your "lifeline" and you don't want to play around and possibly lose it.

Hope everything turns out A'ok.
Robert

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »

Don't fool around with this. You are kept alive through your fistula.

Go to ER.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »

Depends on how your center operates.  When mine clotted, I had a 'scope, so I didn't need a doc to tell me it blocked.  I just called my center, and they immediately organized an appointment with the doc who did fistulagrams.  I had a small, good center with a lot of personal attention, though, so I knew I'd get quick action from them.  Going to er just would have confirmed what I already knew and wasted time while the er contacted the nurse at my center.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »

I've been told to go to the ER also. No ifs or buts. Anyway I'd rather be safe and over the top than sorry so I'd go anyway. That thing is your lifeline so you don't risk anything with it I reckon.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »

ER, I don't know about how the US hospitals work but we only go to the ER at one of the major hospitals because there is always a neph on duty (they are on a roster, you may not get your neph but you will get one instead of being under a roughshod ER Dr). But that it only after hours during daytime i've been advised to avoid the ER and head straight to the renal clinic at our major hospital (the clinic in the hospital adjacent to the renal ward, for outpatients only.... they are the transplant clinic and do everything else for renal patients).

For the clagging of a fistula i was adivsed they've normally got about 24-48 hours to save it. I was lucky mine happened in the daytime so i went to the clinic, they admitted me then and there and operated the next day.

You'll probably find they want you to go to the ER (if it's after hours) so that they can be sure you've got a bed (admitted and on nil by mouth from midnight) so they can operate first thing in the morning.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »

I actually was operated on Saturday, all is well! One thing I noticed not much pain with the insision.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
nycrtst85

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »

E.R. for sure.i had my fistula clotted once{because of heavy lifting},and went to the E.R. the next day i was scared to be honest.Then they did a procedure to unclogg the Fistula nad it hurt a lot but i had strenght from god and managed not to scream.

Rogelio Ronco
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »

E.R. for sure.i had my fistula clotted once{because of heavy lifting},and went to the E.R. the next day i was scared to be honest.Then they did a procedure to unclogg the Fistula nad it hurt a lot but i had strenght from god and managed not to scream.

God is good.  A doc smart enough to give you pain killers would be better!  Standard practice for all fistulagrams at my hospital is a twilight sleep med called Versed.  It doesn't knock you completely out, but just puts you in a hazy, comfortable place where you can still feel the pain as it happens, but it doesn't bother you nearly as much.  Next time, make sure they give you something!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »