I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Dying without dialysis in Haiti after earthquake
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dying without dialysis in Haiti after earthquake  (Read 3434 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: January 17, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »

After an Earthquake: Management of Crush Injuries & Crush Syndrome
Background

Crush injury and crush syndrome may result from structural collapse during an earthquake. Crush injury is defined as compression of extremities or other parts of the body that causes muscle swelling and/or neurological disturbances in the affected areas of the body. Typically affected areas of the body include lower extremities, upper extremities, and trunk. Crush syndrome is localized crush injury with systemic manifestations. These systemic effects are caused by a traumatic rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown) and the release of potentially toxic muscle cell components and electrolytes into the circulatory system. Crush syndrome can cause local tissue injury, organ dysfunction, and metabolic abnormalities, including acidosis, hyperkalemia, and hypocalcemia.

Previous experience with earthquakes that caused major structural damage has demonstrated that the incidence of crush syndrome is 2-15% with approximately 50% of those with crush syndrome developing acute renal failure and over 50% needing fasciotomy. Of those with renal failure, 50% need dialysis.

http://tinyurl.com/y99zrgu
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »

Add to the problem of these folks needing dialysis, all the people who were already on dialysis who cannot get treatments due to damage to their centers.

Sad, sad.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »

It is extremely sad, and I'm sorry these people are enduring all this pain and suffering.

But as someone who lives direclty over a major fault north of San Francisco, this is something that could happen here as well.  Although we're better prepared, if the water system shuts down and power is out, Dialysis will be unavailable here as well.  I asked my clinic about backup generators for major disasters and they respoinded, "What backup generators?  We don't have those."

Talk to your clinic about disaster preparation, especially if you live in tornado or earthquake country.  Its always good to be prepared.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »

I will speak for Texas, as that's what I am familiar with, but I think in the US, its the same.  All facilities are required EVERY month to have a disater plan in place, with a plan for backup generators in place.  The problem in Haiti, and with othere disaster areas would not be the generators, as those could be obtained, but with water.  If the water system goes out, and the power can't clean the water, no dialysios.  If the water is out, and there is power, they can't use HUNDREDS of gallons per week per patient for dialysis if no one has water.  Sad.  And Deadly...

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
djgaryb11

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »

During an interview on CNN a person from Doctors without borders talks about the people that are dieing because of the lack of dialysis supplies and dialysis machines in Haiti now.....the subject comes on at about 5 minutes into the video

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/01/19/amanpour.doctors.without.borders.cnn?hpt=C2

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »