I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pins & needles...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pins & needles...  (Read 2019 times)
Phil

What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger

« on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »

I have a fistula on my right arm, and over the last few weeks i've noticed that i get pins & needles in my left arm...anyone else get this? I figured that the increased bp in my fistula arm may have something to do with it...

1993 - Diagnosed with Alport Sindrome
April 2010 - Fistula surgery on right forearm
May 2010 - Started HD
Still waiting for the call!!!!!
calypso

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »

How long have you had the fistula? Any numbness or discoloration?

Steal syndrome is when the blood supply is rerouted (hence the name steal) away from where it used to go, and can cause this sometimes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vascular_access_steal_syndrome

I just got my fistula last wednesday and today bought a cheapo $10 stethoscope at the local mom n pop pharmacy. I thought it might be junk and would wind up getting a Littmann online later but surprisingly it works quite well! I can hear the bruit just fine with it. Nice wooosh woosh sound. I recommend anyone with a fistula get a stethoscope if you haven't already.

CVS didn't have any stethoscopes. They had telescopes, children's toys, and even floor standing home theater speakers but no stethoscopes. Go figure.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:33:19 AM by calypso » Logged

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »

The right arm fistula shouldn't really be affecting the left arm.  Maybe nerve damage?  Something pinched from those miserable over-tight bp cuffs they use at the D center seems more likely to me than a sudden problem with a fistula in the other arm.  Or from constantly trying to sleep on the off-fistula side, perhaps.  Some meds can have those kind of side effects as well.  Also, if you have a calcium build up started, it too could be pressing on a nerve.

Just a few thoughts, anyhow...

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »