I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Strange call from transplant center
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange call from transplant center  (Read 2344 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: January 14, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »

I just got a call from my transplant center  and they wanted to discuss my listing.....   I am current listed for transplant and I am accumulating time.....  she wanted to know if I was Ok  to continue on the wait list and not go into a  "hold stage"  on the wait list... she said that I would still accumulate time but if a deceased kidney came up then I would not be matched with any of those...  I have a living donor that is currently being tested ( he only has a couple of test to do ) and he was a match but only 1/6  so a little risky..... the transplant person wanted to ask me if I wanted to stay on the list and be matched for all kidneys that came available......  and not be placed on HOLD....    I am confused.....   why would I not want to stay on the list.....  I mean if a kidney came up and it was a good match...or better match than my living donor.. wouldn't I want to go with that ....  I think living donors are better  but its still risky with the 1/6.....   I have only been on the list for a month.....  what are the chances of me being called.......LOL      she said I could be called at any time....   and said she would talk to me soon......     this transplant stuff  is emotional draining......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »

Hmmmm, I'm with you, tyefly, that is an odd question. 

I think perhaps she was trying to see how strongly you felt about receiving a live donation. For me, none of the centers have asked if I want to be on hold, but to be honest, they may as well put me on hold because if a deceased donor came available (even a 6/6) I would refuse it. For now I am determined to participate in a clinical trial which requires a live donor. In your situation, I would tell her to keep her hands off my status.  ;)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »

Some centers actually require you be on hold if you are testing a living donor. They won't call you with a deceased donor kidney if you have a potential living donor. It was nice that your center actually asked you. I am with you, stay active because you never know what may happen!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »

I was told that if I got "the call" before our scheduled transplant that they would go with the cadaver kidney (provided it was good).  It didn't sound like I'd have a choice in the matter.  I guess it goes back to anything to protect the living donor, and I didn't have a problem with that.  Why have my sis-in-law go through all of that if there was another kidney availalble.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »

I'd want to stay active on the list and continue with the testing process with your living donor.  If a very good cadaveric match (not just the antigens but good all around) came up I'd accept it.  I also wouldn't worry too much about the 1/6 match since my understanding is that current meds are improved to the point that only a 6/6 gives any significant advantage.  More important is freshness, sounds odd I know, but I mean not too long or not at all on perfusion, and general condition, no damage whatsoever.

My first kidney was cadaveric, 6/6, lasted 23 years.  Never any rejection episodes, just cyclosporine toxicity over time.   Despite several blood transfusions which were standard (crazy) protocol at the time and 23 years, I had 0 antibodies and transplant #2 is a 0/6 match from my living donor.  No rejection so far (Feb. 23 will be one year) and things going well.

I'm not sure that the antibody issue is at all cut and dried.  Some of us develop them and some don't.  I understand that pregnancies and other things like trx and transfusions can cause them to build up while some people are simply lucky and I'm thankful that this huge piece of luck seems to have happened to me.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »

Yes  I think you all are right.....   staying on the list is the best for me.....  I would accept a cadaver kidney if one came about....but what are the chances of that ... I have only been on the list for a month....  now my donor only has two more test to do and I believe he will be done.....  so I am crossing my fingers that all is good....  I think all will be good....he is in very good health....   I feel guilty......  I am the one who divorced him.....  after 20 years.....  we are still friends .... we have a daughter together......  and what do you know  he offers me a kidney.......  pretty humbling...... he has always been so good to me......   
          makes a person think.....  makes me cry...... I know I hurt him alot.... by moving on.....man  this is deep....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:50:12 PM »

I think it's amazingly beautiful!  What a guy.    Keep us posted.   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

You did pass on being listed on the extended criteria list though tyefly?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »

Yes   I did pass on the extended criteria list.....  I did feel that I should except that type of kidney...   but I am glad that they kept me on the list...... 

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
*kana*

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »

From what I understand, you wont get the call unless there is a 6/6 match.  You are at the bottom like me.   :2thumbsup;  They go by how many years you have been on dialysis NOT how many years you have been on the list.  If someone has been on dialysis for 15 years and then decides to get listed, they are at the top.   I wonder why I jump through all their hoops every year if my odds of getting a kidney before my 5-6 year are so small. 
My sister got a 6/6 cadaver last year after being on the O+ high antibody list so the odds of it happening again in the same family for me, next to nil!  I think we both have a better chance at winning the lottery.   

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »

Kana
Unless they changed the rules this month and didn't tell me, my transplant center goes by amount of time on the list and not the amount of time on dialysis. Conceivably, a person could get a pre-emptive cadaver transplant without ever being on dialysis. If you are on the list and win the "Oregon lottery" of a 6/6 match then you could jump to the top immediately. With this in mind, opting to stay active on the list even if a living donor is being tested seems like a good idea.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »

Sunny, you are right---time on the list. Otherwise no one would ever get a pre-emptive transplant.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »