I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Bacterial Site Infection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bacterial Site Infection  (Read 4765 times)
anja

« on: November 04, 2006, 10:58:37 PM »

I noticed a redness the size of a tennis ball at my cath . site on my abdomen almost 4 weeks ago.  :( They did a culture and said it was positive for staph. - 14 day treatment with cephalexin 500mg.3x daily and using bacitracin ointment.  The redness went away, the drainage decreased down to a bloody looking stain on the gauze twice a day .  Went back in Friday and they cultured it again and started me on Amoxicillin caps. 3x daily and gentamycin ointment.  Doctor called me this morning, Saturday, and said that the amox. wouldn't kill this strain.  It is called serratia, he said it's quite unusual.  Will try a short round of Cipro.2xdaily for 5 days.  Anyone else had this particular strain?  Know the cause or more effective treatment?  Can it injure my peritoneal membrane??   ???   Thanks, Anja 
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 06:12:10 AM »

I can't answer your questions as I'm not familiar with that strain of staph but I went a round with staph in my leg and almost lost my leg because of it. I believe I was on 500mg of 3x a day of cephalexin just as you were and it took most of it away and then I was on the waiting game with the nerve endings coming back to life which was painful. I'm fine now, so I hope everything works out good for you especially being on PD.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:13:25 AM »

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2103.htm

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

I noticed a redness the size of a tennis ball at my cath . site on my abdomen almost 4 weeks ago.  :( They did a culture and said it was positive for staph. - 14 day treatment with cephalexin 500mg.3x daily and using bacitracin ointment.  The redness went away, the drainage decreased down to a bloody looking stain on the gauze twice a day .  Went back in Friday and they cultured it again and started me on Amoxicillin caps. 3x daily and gentamycin ointment.  Doctor called me this morning, Saturday, and said that the amox. wouldn't kill this strain.  It is called serratia, he said it's quite unusual.  Will try a short round of Cipro.2xdaily for 5 days.  Anyone else had this particular strain?  Know the cause or more effective treatment?  Can it injure my peritoneal membrane??   ???   Thanks, Anja 

Anja, i am sorry you are experiencing this and i hope all gets better soon,  i do have a quetion though,  when you said they just started you on gentamyacin ointment, what were you using before?  You should've been using that from the beginning..

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
anja

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 09:02:22 PM »

Thanks for the replies, guys, interesting...   I was using bacitracin before the gent.   Due to go back in to get it checked on Tuesday, but nothing has changed... :thx;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 08:03:30 PM »

I know it's been almost two months, but just wondering how your doing regarding the infection. It took me almost that long to get completely healed.
anja

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »

All is well now, the infection is gone and things are back to normal.  Still don't know the cause of it but so very thankful it remained at the site and did not go into the 'tunnel'.   Thanks for all your responses, it was a scare.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »

All is well now, the infection is gone and things are back to normal.  Still don't know the cause of it but so very thankful it remained at the site and did not go into the 'tunnel'.   Thanks for all your responses, it was a scare.

Thats great news.  :2thumbsup;
nextnoel

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »

Glad to hear things have turned out well. :2thumbsup;

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »