I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dear Diary (A look at the first few sessons of dialysis)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Diary (A look at the first few sessons of dialysis)  (Read 13544 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: October 30, 2005, 07:57:34 PM »

September 5, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my first day on dialysis.  Everyone was so nice to me.  They used my Hickman because my fistula is not “mature” yet.  I don’t know what that means.  I’m not sure what the difference is between the Hickman and the fistula.  Guess I’ll find out.  I like it there.

September 7, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my second day on dialysis.  I didn’t see any of the same nice people today.  I had to tell the new people everything I told the people on Monday.  I didn’t feel that good afterwards.  I didn’t get to watch TV today because it was broken.  I still like it there.

September 9, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my third day on dialysis.  I didn’t see any of the same nice people I saw the first day or any of the same people I saw the second day.  I had to tell the new stupid ass people everything I told the people on Monday and Wednesday.  This is getting old!  I had to sit by some old lady that shit all over the place.  God it stunk!  What the hell kind of place is this!  The damn TV is still broken and the light above me is out.  It must be 40 degrees in there.  But… they are trying to save my life… I still like it there.  Yippee, I get 2 ½ days off. 

September 12, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my fourth day on dialysis.  I guess they just get new people all the time because I never get the same nurse or tech.  I got yelled at for gaining too much fluid.  They had to pull off 6 pounds and my legs were having seizers but the nurse said I deserved it.  The machine has bells and horns that keep going off.  I wish someone would tell me what is going on.  I got a different chair today.  It didn’t have a TV at all.  They fixed the TV in my old chair.  I watch the guy watch it for 3 hours.  I’m not sure I like this anymore.

September 14, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my fifth day on dialysis. The Social Worker sat with me today.  She asked me if I liked dialysis.  When I said “not really,” she told me that I was “depressed” and suggested that I read 10 or 11 self help books by Friday.   She wanted to know about my sex life.  When I told her I wasn’t married, she suggested I read “Sex and Dialysis”….. by Friday.  She asked me how my relationship was with my parents.  I told her they were both gone.  She suggested I read “Mommy Dearest” by Friday.  Wheeew, I’d better get busy.  They had to call 911 for the lady next to me today.  I guess she died.  The nurses said she drank too much fluid and she deserved it.  I don’t think I like this place.  They are going to use my fistula next session.  I’ll be glad to get rid of this Hickman.

September 15, 2005

Dear Diary,

Holy CRAP!  They came at me with these HUGE needles.  They said they were going to poke them in my arm.  NO WAY!  This girl was out of there!  They chased me down the hall and caught me at the elevator.  They still had the needles.  I grabbed one and tried to stab this one bitch in her arm to see how she would like it.  I missed and she gave me a shot.  I woke up in the dialysis chair all hooked up with a ton of tape on my arm.  I felt dizzy and sick.  They said I deserved it.  I HATE DIALYSIS…………

Feel free to write to this Diary....... ;D >:D ;D

cabarle

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:24:56 PM »

September 5, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my first day on dialysis.  Everyone was so nice to me.  They used my Hickman because my fistula is not “mature” yet.  I don’t know what that means.  I’m not sure what the difference is between the Hickman and the fistula.  Guess I’ll find out.  I like it there.

September 7, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my second day on dialysis.  I didn’t see any of the same nice people today.  I had to tell the new people everything I told the people on Monday.  I didn’t feel that good afterwards.  I didn’t get to watch TV today because it was broken.  I still like it there.

September 9, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my third day on dialysis.  I didn’t see any of the same nice people I saw the first day or any of the same people I saw the second day.  I had to tell the new stupid ass people everything I told the people on Monday and Wednesday.  This is getting old!  I had to sit by some old lady that shit all over the place.  God it stunk!  What the hell kind of place is this!  The damn TV is still broken and the light above me is out.  It must be 40 degrees in there.  But… they are trying to save my life… I still like it there.  Yippee, I get 2 ½ days off. 

September 12, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my fourth day on dialysis.  I guess they just get new people all the time because I never get the same nurse or tech.  I got yelled at for gaining too much fluid.  They had to pull off 6 pounds and my legs were having seizers but the nurse said I deserved it.  The machine has bells and horns that keep going off.  I wish someone would tell me what is going on.  I got a different chair today.  It didn’t have a TV at all.  They fixed the TV in my old chair.  I watch the guy watch it for 3 hours.  I’m not sure I like this anymore.

September 14, 2005

Dear Diary,

Today was my fifth day on dialysis. The Social Worker sat with me today.  She asked me if I liked dialysis.  When I said “not really,” she told me that I was “depressed” and suggested that I read 10 or 11 self help books by Friday.   She wanted to know about my sex life.  When I told her I wasn’t married, she suggested I read “Sex and Dialysis”….. by Friday.  She asked me how my relationship was with my parents.  I told her they were both gone.  She suggested I read “Mommy Dearest” by Friday.  Wheeew, I’d better get busy.  They had to call 911 for the lady next to me today.  I guess she died.  The nurses said she drank too much fluid and she deserved it.  I don’t think I like this place.  They are going to use my fistula next session.  I’ll be glad to get rid of this Hickman.

September 15, 2005

Dear Diary,

Holy CRAP!  They came at me with these HUGE needles.  They said they were going to poke them in my arm.  NO WAY!  This girl was out of there!  They chased me down the hall and caught me at the elevator.  They still had the needles.  I grabbed one and tried to stab this one bitch in her arm to see how she would like it.  I missed and she gave me a shot.  I woke up in the dialysis chair all hooked up with a ton of tape on my arm.  I felt dizzy and sick.  They said I deserved it.  I HATE DIALYSIS…………

Feel free to write to this Diary....... ;D >:D ;D

October 31, 2005

After several weeks of dialysis, I've come to the conclusion that everbody around me "cheats" on their diets, complains of cramping, and nurses & doctors like to inject sunshine up my ass. People I know have casually asked me "How's my health?", instead of the customary "How are you?" Lucky for me, I am still getting my post dialysis snack consisteing of a chopped tuna sandwhich or chicken salad sanwhich (on a hamurger roll), a little pack of applesauce, and a cup of cranberry juice. The top of the bag has my name on it along with the label "sodium free". The contents resemble something edible, but I just find the "consumables" life sustaining.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 07:51:26 PM »

This was a great idea for a post. Good job Rerun.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
LifeOnHold

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 06:51:25 AM »

You clearly are depressed!  I recommend you read "I Am So Thankful To Be Alive, Please Feel Free To Screw With My Treatment, Call Me Names And Imply That I Deserve Every Cramp I Get" before Friday!     ;D

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »

I read your diary, did you really run down the halls? :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;  Did you write anymore on your diary? I loved it. Is there a book in the works?
Please write more..... It was great..... and so honest..... it's like I wrote it...... :sluff;
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 01:14:35 AM »

:bump;

This diary needs a rerun of its own! 

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
mcmkids

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:40:42 AM »

I think you have truly captured how many people feel! I can appreciate it form two fronts, as the wife of someone on dialysis and as a nurse. We in healthcare are very quick to "diagnose" depression! In my professional, albiet humble, opinion....you are adjusting well!  :cuddle;
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 05:21:13 AM »

Fabulously funny.  I loled out loud... as Monk would say.  Write some more...

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:03:23 AM »

I pm her all the time to write more ---
it is great reading -
I am her biggest fan -
and she knows it -
to heck with working at Sears -- write for Reader's Digest -
( I know Sears was awhile back )
I asked for this thread to be placed where new members would read it -

yes, I am yelling to ReRun --

THANKS FOR MOVING THIS THREAD  -- I AM PM'ING MANDAME AND TINAH TO READ IT

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 06:42:11 AM »

DON'T YELL AT ME WOMAN!

Reader's Digest would be a good start Rerun.  Then try the Davita Magazine.  It is so funny that they wouldn't be offended at all.  What over Kindey publications are there?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:44:34 AM by dwcrawford » Logged

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »

:shy;

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »

OK here is another Diary entry..... feel free to post more entries.

Dear Diary,

I finally was able to sleep on dialysis.  I have been so tired and was so glad that I was finally relaxed enough to doze off.  Then I hear my name... and I hear it again.... then something bumped my chair.  I awoke to this lady calling my name.  It was a "dietition"?  She shoved a piece of paper in my hand and said it was my "Report Card" and it had Frowny Faces all over it.  She said all my labs were bad.  Then she asked if I was taking "binders" with every meal and I asked her "what is a binder".  Then she hands me a bunch of reading material and leaves.  Man.... I've got enough reading material for a year.  I still don't know what a binder is.  Maybe it is a band to go around my stomach?  I hate that bitch for waking me up . 

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

:2thumbsup;
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »

lol  I hated those frowny face report cards! What the heck are we, 5 years old?

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »

That's hilarious rerun  - I thought it was just me that didn't know what was happening most of the time.  I took binders for a whole year and didn't realise I was supposed to take them with food!  When they said 'take with food' I thought it was just like antibiotics where you should take them with food so they don't upset your stomach.  As it happens I have a really tough stomach and don't usually bother, so there I was taking my binders when I went to bed.  My neph then found out and nearly had a fit.  I mean REALLY!  Someone should have told me ha ha ha.  Luckily my levels were only just getting a bit high when I realised, so I've fixed that now.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
greco02

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; EXCELLANT, WELL DONE, KEEP IT UP, WE LOVE THE DIARY....

EDITED:Fixed smiley tag error-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:40:43 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »

You guys really should NOT encourage me.....    :banghead;

Dear Diary,

Today a nice man in a white coat came by and asked me how I was doing and I said "fine"..... and he walked away.  I think it was my kidney doctor, but I have only seen him once a long time ago when I was really sick.  Wow, that was nice of him to come see me.  I wish I remembered his name.  I should send him cookies or something.  I'm sure he is very busy but he took time out of his day to stop by to see if I was doing alright.  That makes me feel safe and cared for.  Ahhhhh it was a nice day until I started feeling sick and puked all over myself but I only had to sit in it for 35 minutes. 

:rofl;

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »

:puke;    :thumbup; :cookie;  :cookie;    get it    tossing your cookies

:pics;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »

ReRun, you are hysterical!!!! Keep writing, MORE please.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 07:24:12 AM »

Haha wasn't able to get around to reading this till today. I love it!

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »

rerun - if you have learned one thing ; you have learned to listen to me
- I told you that you are hysterical - to Hell with Sears and that job -
your career is in writing - you have a gift  -- USE IT
and I am your agent and I get 10% or 1% -- I do not care - you need to be in print
and then you could write a very humoress letter to tell Sears to F- off
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:17 AM »

Dear Diary,
      I have had enough of this dialysis crap already.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »

Finished my 5th week (15 Treatments).  I can honestly say that the whole process sucks.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »

Rerun - you always make me laugh!

:rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 11:07:45 PM »

oh, rerun. you are so  :rofl;   i would totally "wet 'em" but i no longer pee!  :rofl;

i know, i know...excessive use of 'moties.

but that was some funny shit. and yes, i said that.  :sir ken; btw, hehehe.

ps, rerun, can i include your diary on my blog? hehehe...

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »