I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:36:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How low can your hemoglobin go before you die?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How low can your hemoglobin go before you die?  (Read 151724 times)
*kana*

« on: December 27, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

Hi,
My HGB was 14 so they took me off procrit until it dropped to 11 and then I resumed it in small doses.  I then dropped fast from 11 to 6.4 before they caught it again the next month.  I refused a transfusion because of fears of antibodies and waited 1 more week with higher doses of procrit.  I ended up hitting 5.8 before I had no choice and went for 1 pint of blood.  The procrit and healthy blood is kicking in and I feel a whole lot better.  I was working 40 hours a week with a hgb of 5.8 and the infusion nurse was surprised I even walked in let alone worked all week.

I am curious how low ones body can go before they just arrest and die.  Not that I will try to push it, believe me I am aware of the dangers and health risks.  I was just scared of the transfusion antibodies and being exposed to CMV positive blood.     

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »

Hi,
My HGB was 14 so they took me off procrit until it dropped to 11 and then I resumed it in small doses.  I then dropped fast from 11 to 6.4 before they caught it again the next month.  I refused a transfusion because of fears of antibodies and waited 1 more week with higher doses of procrit.  I ended up hitting 5.8 before I had no choice and went for 1 pint of blood.  The procrit and healthy blood is kicking in and I feel a whole lot better.  I was working 40 hours a week with a hgb of 5.8 and the infusion nurse was surprised I even walked in let alone worked all week.

I am curious how low ones body can go before they just arrest and die.  Not that I will try to push it, believe me I am aware of the dangers and health risks.  I was just scared of the transfusion antibodies and being exposed to CMV positive blood.     
Any hemoglobin value significantly below 8.0 is considered potentially life-threatening.  It puts a strain on the heart--and remember that many kidney patients die of heart failure.
Goofy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:32:15 AM »

I had a bleeding stomach ulcer a few years ago and my hemo was at 5.  I had to go in by ambulance because I could not even sit up and I was gasping for breath.  They told me the same thing about how they couldn't believe I actually made it.  I kind of knew I had the stomach problem but I kept telling myself that all the pain was in "my head".  That was a really stupid.  At that time, I didn't even realize you could die from a bleeding ulcer.

Unfortunately I did not know about the blood transfusions causing problems later and I had several transfusions.  Then to find out later that the blood wasn't even filtered!  I didn't even know that if you get a transfusion, you have to make sure its filtered.  So.....needless to say.....I'm highly sensitized.  Its not only from that, I had a transplant that failed and had several blood transfusions at that time.  I had no choice.
pklipe57

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »

My husband was having trouble with his legs and they put him in the hospital to do angioplasty on his legs.  They did blood work before and his hemoglobin was 2.8.  They started giving him blood and kept him in the hospital for several days.  A nurse told him the next day she had never seen anyone survive whose hemogloblin was that low.  He has been losing blood very, very slowly through bleeding ulcers in his stomach for a long period of time. 

I will say, it was truly a miracle that his problem was found when it was.

tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »

I hate transfusions. You just don't know if a tainted bag sneaked thru. Plus the antibodies...I've had so many transfusions. I don't know how hard it may be to get a matching kidney.
The lowest my hemoglobin has ever been (to my knowledge) was 4.2. I was about 18-19 yrs old.  I drove myself to the hospital for my monthly labs. Then I had to wait for them to be done. Finally the nurse came to my room and she told me she couldn't believe I walked myself up there or was even able to drive. So of course I'm like what are you talking about. She goes on to tell my my hemoglobin is 4.2 and that I will have to be admitted into the hospital and have a transfusion or two. I remember fighting with her because I wanted to go to work. lol....I was so stubborn...still am.  >:(

I got my labs back today from last Wednesday. My hemoglobin is 9.5. I can tell it had dropped. I've been tired and sluggish. More then usually. haha...But I didn't know why I was feeling that way until I got my labs. On January 4th they drew our labs and my hemoglobin was 12.5. So I'm guessing that is a significant drop in 2 weeks. Also I'm guessing it dropped because I had that declot surgery last Monday.  Guess I didn't lose enough blood to require a transfer. So the dietitian said she is going to up my (insert name of med). I wish I paid more attention to these things. But she said to continue taking my Sensipar as usual.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »

Mine got as low as 5. They said with numbers like that I should of been comatost.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
renalpenguin

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:51:15 AM »

At 7.3 the nurse at the doctor said I needed a transfusion. I didn't want to because of the antibodies, but she said if I didn't I may not survive until a transplant. Under 8.0 is when they send you to a transfusion at my doctor.

August 2007- Diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome
September 2007- Kidney Biopsy found FSGS
December 15, 2009- Transplant Evaluation
January 7, 2010- I'm on the list!
February 4, 2010- Fistula and PD Catheter Surgery
March 8, 2010- Begin CCPD; My cousin will be my donor in June!
June 22, 2010- I got a kidney from my awesome cousin!
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »

Wow!  Those are some low numbers!  I could barely walk when mine was 9.  I think that's as low as I've gotten and thankfully with only one Epogen shot it came back up quickly.  I did a few courses of Epogen, but I would get maybe two shots and I'd have to stop because my levels were good enough for insurance, but then I'd go maybe 2-3 weeks and it would be low again.  It was crazy.  Glad it's over.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »

When I was on treatment for Hep C, I was on procrit when my levels went under 10. I know at 8 they would pull you off treatment because it's just too dangerous. Your hemoglobins are the "oxygen carriers" of your red blood cells. Every organ (especially the heart), and every cell needs sufficient oxygen to function properly.  Your red blood cells basically have 2 jobs. Too carry good oxygen blood enriched through, and carry out the carbon dioxide. When my husband went in for a heart catharization  (pre-dialysis) they wouldn't do it that day because his hemos were at 8. He had to reschedule. Some of these very very low numbers I am amazed at. I can't even imagine.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »