I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A Real Rant
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Real Rant  (Read 8160 times)
JerseyGirl

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »

You have to be your own advocate these days.  I totally agree with that.  But when I hear a generalized statement such as Staffenberg's "utter comtempt" it really gets my goat.  I hate to hear generalizations about health care workers.  For God's sake, you don't even know WHO your caregiver is because noone wears name tags.  Just don't bunch all of us in the same category.  I remember when I had my TAH in 2005 in the middle of the night they gave me a roommate that had just been admitted with an infected cat bite.  A fresh post-op in the same room as a patient with an infected friggin cat bite!  In all my post op morphine induced stupor, I gave my husband the look and asked for the head nurse. Then I asked her whose decision it was to put that patient in with me.  I told her one of us was going to go - well, it was me, but they gave me my own private room for the duration of my stay.  I IHATE hospitals -  all I thought of was getting a post op infection.  Day 3 I was out of there.
To get back on topic -  it is refreshing and not at all intimidating to get input from those you take care of.  Outpatient dialysis settings are so unique in that you really get to know each other - patient and caregiver.  That is a definite advantage for both parties.   A good nurse can just look at someone and know something's up.  It allows both to be involved in care giving.  I am no angel, but I really like my job.  And for meadowlandsnj to have to go through an argument as she did is totally inappropriate.  Sounds like her nurse was on a total power trip.
Kitkatz, hope you're feeling better each day after your parathyroidectomy. 
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »

Most patients, whether they are in a hospital, an out-patient clinic, or in the doctor's office, think they have lost all their civil rights and have no power to leave or to refuse treatment if they wish.  Hospitals should state clearly in signs in every room that the patient always retains a right to leave or to refuse treatment. 

That said, I have often witnessed in both hospitals and dialysis clinics that patients' openly and even vehemently expressed wishes are NOT respected by staff. I saw one man who was suffering horribly during his first needling for dialysis resist the nurse and exclaim, "Stop! This just isn't worth it," but instead of respecting his wishes, another nurse ILLEGALLY came and held the patient down so the first nurse could complete the conneciton.  I never saw him at the clinic again.  The law regards such an action as an assault, but neither the staff nor the patients seem to understand that, and the fact that they don't is itself a symptom of how much patients are held in UTTER CONTEMPT by the medical system.
This was assault and battery; the patient should have called the police.  However, he was undoubtedly intimidated and humiliated enough (probably didn't want to jump out of the chair in front of all the other patients - and the "nurse" probably told him something like "Everyone else can take it - don't be such a baby!")  Believe me, I've seen and heard a lot in 5 years in a clinic... there are many nurses and "patient care"   techs who have no business in the medical field - don't ask me why they're there, I know there are lots of easier jobs than outpatient dialysis.

They should have used his perm cath instead - it should never be removed until several weeks after first cannulation of the new graft or fistula.  Or how about trying Lidocaine?!  Unlike the popular myth, it doesn't damage an access if properly used (but, alas, causes more work for "rush rush" staffers... many of whom are not even authorized to give it, such as techs in most states).  The patient could have also insisted to speak to the facility manager, head nurse or charge nurse (who I hope isn't the one who assaulted him?!)

I understand why you feel this way ("utter contempt"), but have to agree with JerseyGirl:  please don't assume we all feel this way.  Many nurses and other staff really do care.

DeLana   :grouphug;

P.S.  To start empowering yourself, you could ask each of your caregivers what their title is (if enough patients ask they might get tired of this and actually start wearing their name tags as they should according to policy of each facility I've ever worked for).  If you're dealing with a tech, ask for the RN whenever there is a problem; if you're dealing with an RN, ask for the manager.  Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:00:24 PM by DeLana » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »

Most patients, whether they are in a hospital, an out-patient clinic, or in the doctor's office, think they have lost all their civil rights and have no power to leave or to refuse treatment if they wish.  Hospitals should state clearly in signs in every room that the patient always retains a right to leave or to refuse treatment. 

That said, I have often witnessed in both hospitals and dialysis clinics that patients' openly and even vehemently expressed wishes are NOT respected by staff. I saw one man who was suffering horribly during his first needling for dialysis resist the nurse and exclaim, "Stop! This just isn't worth it," but instead of respecting his wishes, another nurse ILLEGALLY came and held the patient down so the first nurse could complete the conneciton.  I never saw him at the clinic again.  The law regards such an action as an assault, but neither the staff nor the patients seem to understand that, and the fact that they don't is itself a symptom of how much patients are held in UTTER CONTEMPT by the medical system.

You always have the most interesting stories to tell.  Luckily, most of us on dialysis don't have such a negative perception.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »