I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:30:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A little concerned.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A little concerned.  (Read 5179 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: November 01, 2006, 08:37:53 AM »

Joe says he swiped the median with his van on the way to dialysis this morning.  He says he thinks he may have blacked out for a second.  He's been gaining a lot of fluid between the past 2-3 treatments, he's been dealing with sinus/allergies/cold type things and he hasn't been sleeping well.  I told him maybe he needs to see about cutting back on his hours at work a little bit, and he says no, that he's not working too much.  I am kind of at a loss of what to do right now. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:46:22 AM »

*Whack him in the head*. If he is blacking out while driving something is not quite right.  Get him checked out quickly.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:49:26 AM »

Sara, that is something to be "alot" concerned about.  Was it just this one time or has it happend before?  Has he been checking his sugars regularly?  Please keep us posted,  our thoughts are with  you and Joe always... :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:10:32 AM »

As far as I know this is the first/only time it's happened, but he's lucky it was just a median and not another car or a "cliff" or something.  I got upset and and he got mad that I was upset and "bitching at him."  As far as I know his blood sugars have been fine.   :-\

I just called to ask if he would go to the Dr. and he said no, that he just "fell asleep because he was exhausted."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:14:32 AM by Sara » Logged

Joe died July 18, 2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:57:12 AM »

It has happened to me before too because I have sleep apnea. Does he snore alot and can you tell if he stops breathing during sleep for short moments several times an hour? I used to fall asleep at stop lights and my son would wake me up. I can't drive long distance no more without falling asleep.  If it is determined he has sleep apnea he would need a c pap machine to use while he sleeps. It does help.  Hope things get better for Joe.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »

wow, I'd certainly be concerned also.
Hope he gets himself checked out real soon.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »

Thank you everyone for replying.  Sluff, he actually does have sleep apnea, and he does use a CPAP but I noticed last night he wasn't sleeping as well as he usually does.  Maybe because he's been dealing with allergies/sinus stuff - have you noticed if that affects you?  He is overdue for another sleep study anyway, so I guess I'll need to track down that doctor. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:30:39 PM »

Absolutely sinus problems and allergies do affect sleep apnea. First hand experience here. Good Luck.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 03:42:23 AM »

It has happened to me before too because I have sleep apnea. Does he snore alot and can you tell if he stops breathing during sleep for short moments several times an hour? I used to fall asleep at stop lights and my son would wake me up. I can't drive long distance no more without falling asleep.  If it is determined he has sleep apnea he would need a c pap machine to use while he sleeps. It does help.  Hope things get better for Joe.

EEEK don't you drive a motorcycle??

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 05:26:38 AM »

Make him realize that this is not just about him but the safety of OTHERS! I mean how would he feel if he ran over some poor little kid?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 07:24:30 AM »

No I ride a motorcycle and if I get near your house you could even go for a ride LOL...
kevno

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 09:17:43 AM »

A few years ago now ;) About 15years I had the same problem but the doctors called it a micro Sleep. Where you fall asleep for a couple of seconds, and all of a sudden you jerk you head up. I had it happen to me quite a few times once I got my wing mirror smashed of with a 18 wheeler coming in the opposite direction. So had tests done on me. It was found out it was the hay fever medicine that was causing it, making me drowsy. Since I stopped those tablets and started a new one which dose not make me drowsy I have been fine. Now no more blacking out at the wheel, which I thought it was.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »

No I ride a motorcycle and if I get near your house you could even go for a ride LOL...

I'm Game.  We could go down to Southern CA and eat tacos with Epoman and Goofynina.
 :waving;

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »

Sounds like a plan to me guys ;)  I sure hope these "tacos"  are all Epoman makes them out to be, lol,  Hopefully, if all goes well, i will be trying them out for myself within the next couple of weeks,  cant hardly wait,    :clap; :2thumbsup; 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »

I'm Game.  We could go down to Southern CA and eat tacos with Epoman and Goofynina.
 :waving;

If I fall asleep you can hit me in the head. LOL
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »