I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Disaster with Baxter in México
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disaster with Baxter in México  (Read 7897 times)
tito

« on: January 18, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »

I've been back from México for a couple of weeks now - went down to stay in my condo in Puerto Vallarta over Christmas - New Years. This is the first time I've traveled so far doing PD. I was horribly depressed last year in PV facing dialysis and thinking it might be my last visit, but I was advised that I was a good candidate for PD and it would allow me to travel. My nephrologist told me that 81 percent of dialysis in México is PD.

So, I ordered my PD supplies from Baxter in September. Everything was scheduled for a Dec. 23 delivery to PV. My wife was down there ahead of me (I teach and couldn't get away earlier - I was scheduled to be there Dec. 24). Our condo is in a small cluster of seven condos built into a hillside - each with independent entrances. No front desk or anything. Our condo is 45 steps up from street level. Patrice had to stay in all day as Baxter would not give a delivery time.

I called the Baxter US number several times, my wife called the México number several times. All we could get was that the order was on its way from Guadalajara and the driver was out of cellphone range (nonsense!).

Finally at 5 pm they told her the order had not been put on the truck, but that they would send someone else out (a 4 hour drive). Patrice waited up, finally falling asleep in the living room so she could hear better.

At 2 am, she got a phone call about "medicina". She told whoever it was to come up. A family of three appeared - a father and mother of about 50 with a child. They were lugging the heavy Baxter boxes up the stairs! In broken Spanish and English they said that the driver (the second one sent out) had crashed his car into a wall, and these people were on their way to their vacation about 30 miles away from us. They were incredibly nice and took the boxes from the driver and offered to deliver them because it was much-needed medicine.

A Christmas miracle! Mexicans are incredibly nice people. But what about Baxter? Why hadn't my order gone out on the truck? Who was this driver who crashed his car into a wall at 2 AM? Was he drunk? What might have happened if these nice people hadn't come along? No PD supplies. I was coming in later that day - I'd have had to turn around and go home? Or go into the hospital for emergency hemo? What if the driver had just given up and thrown the boxes away? Where did he go anyway? What if the strangers had tampered with my PD supplies?

Needless to say I have many complaints in with Baxter. They sure opened themselves up to tons of legal liability. More importantly, when I go back to México (possibly April), I never want anything like this to happen again.

I did my manual PD the rest of the trip and had no other problems. Anyone ever have such a problem while traveling?
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »

Good grief!

You certainly have reason to be upset.

Perhaps for your trip in April you should plan on the supplies being delivered a few days in advance of your arrival so you won't have to worry about missing any treatments.

What a story. And what nice folks to deliver your supplies!

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Jie

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »

Yes, what a nice adventure. I made about 8 or 9 travel orders within the U.S. last year and everytime they arrived on time. Only a couple times, they arrived the same day as I arrived, which I felt it is not good. Most representatives put the arrival dates 2 or 3 days earlier. Baxter changed its travel order policy during November last year. Now we need to pay the shipping costs to countries outside the U.S., plus secondhand states, Alaska and HI. We also need to order at least 30 days or longer for Alaska and much longer for places outside of the U.S. It just makes travels more difficult.     
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »

The only problem I ever had was when I replaced a sick traveler at the last minute.  The motel didn't have my name, so when the boxes arrived from Baxter the motel sent them back.  I called Baxter and had my new shipment within 6 hours.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:48:19 AM »

That's quite the comedy of errors there.  It's scary to think what the outcome could have been. So glad it worked out in the end, thanks to such considerate neighbors.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
tito

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »

Follow-up: The supervisor at Baxter's international department was supposed to call me back after communicating with México. She never did. I called and of course it turns out that the Baxter people in México have twisted the story, saying the first truck had mechanical problems, so they sent it out with a messenger who delivered the product.

I am now asking that the head of Baxter's Renal Division contact their people down there and read them the riot act. I also mentioned that I'm a retired attorney and they have opened themselves up to a huge amount of liability both here and in México, which I am prepared to pursue.

I just want assurances that this won't happen again. Let's see if I get them.
Trikkechickk

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »

Hey Tito!

My sister has a house in Yelapa - about 45 mins from PV by boat.  I've been about 4 times and now that I'm on "D" via Nxstage, it's complicated getting there!  I love Yelapa and it's natives.  Have made some close friends there.  Iknow I could arrange in-center D, but the travel b/PV & Yelapa might get dicey - especially timing wise.

Couple years ago I did Dialysis at Sea and met up w/my friends in PV.

Would you know of any D centers in PV?  I'd like to return, but w/the Ponga schedule from Play del Mundo to Yelapa could really conflict w/D times.

Anyway, if you get to Yelapa, go to Mimi's restaurant (in town) and tell Mimi hi from Cindy!
tito

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »

Hi Cindy,

Small world! I've been to Yelapa only once, but really loved it. We are just a couple of blocks from the pier in Zona Romantica, so I think the water taxi schedule is more frequent. I guess we get lazy when we're there. All out favorite restaurants are within walking distance and the beach is across the street from us. Haven't felt the need to venture much to Yelapa.

I know they have in-center D at San Javier Hospital. I don't know much about it being on PD, but I believe the owner of the Santa Barbara Theatre does hemo there. Despite my problems with Baxter, I'm glad I do PD. Next time I may bring the machine so I don't have to come in from the beach to do an exchange. Only problem is our house current - might get overloaded. Also, we get ferocious thunderstorms that affect the electricity. Out TV blew up once.

If you want to find out more about hemo in PV, visit Pam Thompson's website (she's a nurse who now does medical consulting and referrals) at http://www.healthcareresourcespv.com/index.htm

I'll be going back in July (steamy hot) - better order from Baxter now!!

Best of luck,

Pete
CCStan

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »

Hi Cindy,

Small world! I've been to Yelapa only once, but really loved it. We are just a couple of blocks from the pier in Zona Romantica, so I think the water taxi schedule is more frequent. I guess we get lazy when we're there. All out favorite restaurants are within walking distance and the beach is across the street from us. Haven't felt the need to venture much to Yelapa.

I know they have in-center D at San Javier Hospital. I don't know much about it being on PD, but I believe the owner of the Santa Barbara Theatre does hemo there. Despite my problems with Baxter, I'm glad I do PD. Next time I may bring the machine so I don't have to come in from the beach to do an exchange. Only problem is our house current - might get overloaded. Also, we get ferocious thunderstorms that affect the electricity. Out TV blew up once.

If you want to find out more about hemo in PV, visit Pam Thompson's website (she's a nurse who now does medical consulting and referrals) at http://www.healthcareresourcespv.com/index.htm

I'll be going back in July (steamy hot) - better order from Baxter now!!

Best of luck,

Pete

Tito, So glad you wrote about your experience with Baxter in Mexico.  We have a condo in Cancun,Mexico.  We were not able to visit last year because of starting PD.  I had a horrendous start to the PD program and, although it has been a year, finally finalizing a trip in Early Feb.(a couple of weeks from now.)  Also, got the shock from Baxter that they now charge for shipping ( maybe that's why their stock doubled) that being said, we were told that they would only do this once a year.  Also, Meidcare will only for the supplies once a year.  So making visits and life style before PD has been stopped for us.  But, we are so happy to be able to go for the month.  We are going to see how cost-prohibitive it will be to purchase diasylate in Mexcio.  Since we do own the condo need to see what has to be done (interior).  I have a person cleaning it every month, but you need to stay there to see what needs to be done.

Also, I am on Extraneal and that is not supplied in Mexico so we will have to carry 34 two liter bags with us a total of about an extra 150# carried in three bags.  Since airlines only allow one bag (free) on international travel that caused a problem.  We are traveling United airlines and I have to say thusfar, United has been very helpful. ( we will see what happens at the airport) They have agreed to allow us 2 extra bags, to carry the diasylate (free).  Also, you are allowed an extra carry-on bag with all the other supplies. (tape, heparin,syringes, epogen).

thank you for your traveling to Mexico trip report.

Stan
tito

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »

Hi Stan,

I haven't been told of any new shipping charges - I've been in touch with the Baxter international department frequently these last few weeks. They were supposed to have a teleconference between the American management and the Mexican management yesterday about my problem. Haven't heard back.

I got my supplies from Baxter's warehouse in Guadalajara - about 4 hours away. Maybe there is a shipping charge because Cancun is far away from any major metropolis, or because you are using extraneal. They make the dextrose bags and the fluid In México - in Cuernavaca, I believe.

Frankly, I'd go crazy if I couldn't take some time in the sun and visit México. I'd even be willing to pay for the shipping.

I actually found a farmacia in Puerto Vallarta that sells PD fluid. I'm using that as a backup in case my supplies are ever delayed. If the cost is proportional to the other drugs in México, it should be fairly inexpensive.

Best of luck,

Pete
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:35:21 PM by tito » Logged
CCStan

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »

Hi Stan,

I haven't been told of any new shipping charges - I've been in touch with the Baxter international department frequently these last few weeks. They were supposed to have a teleconference between the American management and the Mexican management yesterday about my problem. Haven't heard back.

I got my supplies from Baxter's warehouse in Guadalajara - about 4 hours away. Maybe there is a shipping charge because Cancun is far away from any major metropolis, or because you are using extraneal. They make the dextrose bags and the fluid In México - in Cuernavaca, I believe.

Frankly, I'd go crazy if I couldn't take some time in the sun and visit México. I'd even be willing to pay for the shipping.

I actually found a farmacia in Puerto Vallarta that sells PD fluid. I'm using that as a backup in case my supplies are ever delayed. If the cost is proportional to the other drugs in México, it should be fairly inexpensive.

Best of luck,

Pete

Pete, Yes we had to pay for shipping and aanother fee.  This is for regular Dextrose 2.5 and 4.25.  The Extraneal we will have hand carry 34 bags in luggage.  They DO NOT have Extraneal in Mexico.  So I truly hope our supplies will be delivered without a problem.
The Charges are not because of the distance it is for foregin travel and Alaska and Hiwaii and cruises.

I was very interested that you mentioned that you found diasylate at a farmacia.  Do you know the cost? 

Yes, Baxter has a lab that produces diasylate in Cuernavaca,in fact they the Mexican lab won an award for exceptional quality. 

We had been spending anywhere from 4  to six months in Cancun for the last 22 years (way before it became Miami South) It really has been a bummer to miss last year and this year being tied down to only 33 days.  I HATE DIALYSIS !!! For this reason alone.

We will be leaving in a few days.  I will let you know if we can get diasylate at the farmacia or the local hospital.   Will let you know what we have to pay for it.  Let us know how much it is in PV.

Gracias,
Stan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »