I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:39:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  self cannulation needle removal....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: self cannulation needle removal....  (Read 8978 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: December 06, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »

Ok  everyone.... who does self cannulation needle removal.... I need to know how you take your needles out and hold the gauze with one hand.....  I have been trying to think of how to do this when I start self care and cannulation.....   I can not think of how I am going to take my own needles out with one hand.....  I know some of you do this yourself and would like to know how you do it.....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:43:47 AM »

I take out my own needles... first I place my bandaid lightly over the needle and put it out with middle finger and thumb and press the bandaid down with index finger... Then I either hold for 10 mins to do the next one, or get someone to apply pressure for a min while I do the same on the other needle

http://www.kimhoben.com
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »

Good question.  I've been trying to visualize... though I don't start it till February.  Won't they give you that kind of instruction during your training?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »

I take out my own needles... first I place my bandaid lightly over the needle and put it out with middle finger and thumb and press the bandaid down with index finger... Then I either hold for 10 mins to do the next one, or get someone to apply pressure for a min while I do the same on the other needle

I did much the same as Kim, except that I used just a gauze till I'd stopped bleeding.  I usually waited only about 5 minutes per site.  Felt a bit awkward at first but soon felt very natural.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »

I did much the same as Kim, except that I used just a gauze till I'd stopped bleeding.  I usually waited only about 5 minutes per site.  Felt a bit awkward at first but soon felt very natural.

To funny Monrein!  Me giving advice on needles, who would have thunk it!   

http://www.kimhoben.com
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:37:28 AM »

I would have thunk it Kim!  I knew you'd get there.   :2thumbsup;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »

Dear Tyefly,  I don't remove the needles by myself, my wife always assists, but our technique may be helpful since we rarely have any bleeding before my wife presses down on the gauze. 

First, we pull the needle half way out and then place a band aide directly over the buttonhole but I personally don't let go of the needle.  We then place a 4X4 gauze pad folded in half and then in thirds again and lightly tape it in place.  My first tech taught me how to do this incenter to be able to pull the needle out without pressing down too soon as so many techs do.  I then pull the needle out the same exact angle that I inserted it and after the needle is out, my wife presses down.  I am not sure how easy this would be to do without my wife's help.

You may want to send Bill Peckham an email at DSEN and ask him how he does his since he does not dialyze with a partner.  He is very good with using his hands and doing more than one task at once.  He demonstrated for me once how he does some of these things by himself and I was really impressed how he did it.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

thx   all are  good points......  I am going to start trying some of those during in center D......  I did email Bill several days ago  but he must be busy .... I havnt seen him on here much lately.......   

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »

You can attach a syringe to the end of the tubing to give yourself some extra length if you need it.  I did that with an upper left arm fistula when I was on Nxstage.  Then I could pull the needle with my left hand and apply pressure at the same time with my right.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »

Ok  everyone.... who does self cannulation needle removal.... I need to know how you take your needles out and hold the gauze with one hand.....  I have been trying to think of how to do this when I start self care and cannulation.....   I can not think of how I am going to take my own needles out with one hand.....  I know some of you do this yourself and would like to know how you do it.....

Remind me where your fistula is Tyefly.

It's easy to practice since you can do it without being cannulated to get the movement down. The basic move is to spread your fingers apart - pressing down the gauze with either your thumb or middle finger depending on your fistula location and the direction of the pull. You grip the line with either your thumb/index finger (when holding the gauze with your middle finger) or you squeeze the line between your first and second fingers while pressing the gauze with your thumb.

Like Peter says it helps to get the needle a little out first and then you really don't have to pull much to get it the rest of the way.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »

I have a upper arm fistula....left arm.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 07:24:50 AM »

Needle removal  is so easy...... one hand...... not a problem.......   I have that mastered........... Now   just to master the cannulation........   I have done it only a couple of times so more practice is needed.....   thx  everyone for all the pointers .......   6 months from now I am sure I will look back and remember all the worries that I have had with all of this and again   like usually  find out that its a piece of cake.........

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »

So true, so true.  :yahoo;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »

In a little while you'll be on here giving pointers to newbies!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »

Needle removal  is so easy...... one hand...... not a problem.......   I have that mastered........... Now   just to master the cannulation........   I have done it only a couple of times so more practice is needed.....   thx  everyone for all the pointers .......   6 months from now I am sure I will look back and remember all the worries that I have had with all of this and again   like usually  find out that its a piece of cake.........

Way to go!

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
coorsbob

I dont live for dialysis, I do dialysis to live.

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 05:42:35 AM »

You can attach a syringe to the end of the tubing to give yourself some extra length if you need it.  I did that with an upper left arm fistula when I was on Nxstage.  Then I could pull the needle with my left hand and apply pressure at the same time with my right.

Thiss seems to be the safest way to do this alone just remember dont get in a hurry and you will be fine always think before you do. Slow down is key. I do this 5 days a week and it works.

Diabetic 1990
Discovered Bladder defect 1995
Bladder Surgery 1995
Retinal Hemorrhage 2005
Eye surgery 2005
ESRD February 2008
Perm-Cath installed March 2008
In-center Hemo March 2008
PD Cath installed July 2008
CA PD June 2008
CC PD November 2008
Fistula placed Sept 2009
Training for Home Dialysis on the NxStage System One January 2010
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 03:28:33 AM »

I pull the needle half out then I grip the cannula with the fingers of the same hand, bending my wrist. I take a folded pad of gauze with the other hand, straighten my wrist which pulls the needle out of the button hole and in that same instant put the gauze pad over the site and apply pressure. I apply pressure for 10 minutes, which is usually enough time and then I tackle the arterial needle.
My fistula is in my left wrist and my buttonholes upper wrist and mid arm below the elbow. I'm right handed.
The big advantage in having a helper is that they can apply pressure (take over from you) whilst you do the arterial. Saves 10 minutes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »