I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Red Navel Oranges???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Navel Oranges???  (Read 10479 times)
rookiegirl

« on: December 05, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »

Every year my daughter's band sale fruits for fundraiser.  I always order navel oranges.  Well, just received them this morning and I cut into one.  Surprise!!! the navel orange is RED!  This is the first time I've ever heard or scene a red navel orange.  I was skeptical to eat it because I thought it may be a ruby red grapefruit which I cannot eat due to my medications.

Here's my question?  Is this safe to eat?  It's not a cross between a golden navel and red grapefruit, right?  Either way, I already ate 2 of them.  They were super sweet and delicious.  I can eat the whole box.

Just didn't know if anyone out there ever had some and if this is okay for transplant patients.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

~RG

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »

Interesting.  There are blood oranges--bright red inside. But you don't find them here often.  Lots of them in Greece!  I wonder if this is a new hybrid orange?  Let us know what you find out.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
rookiegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

I surfed the web this morning.  I found a site that called it a "Scarlet Navel Oranges" from the Florida Citrus website.  It did mention about it being a new hybrid, but I'm not sure if this is a cross breed between the gold navel and red grapefruit.  I can't find anything else about it.

Just need to make sure it's safe to eat and does not interfere with my medications.

2004-2nd biopsy
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »

my guess would be they are blood oranges. i've never heard them refered to as navel before. there are a lot of foods floating around that you don't hear of very often. did you know there are purple potatoes? they look like red skined potatoes, but when you cut into them the flesh is purple.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »

Never heard of these oranges, also would like to know what was found out.
      Regarding potatoes. Saw  a program recently on "The National Geographic Chanel" that there were over 800 varities of potato. And I am just about sure all them have to be leached before we can eat them,too.

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
rookiegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »

I was hoping someone here can tell me more about the red navel oranges...especially someone leaving in the Florida area.

As for the purple potatoes; these are known as purple yams.  I grew up eating purple yams.  Very delicious.

2004-2nd biopsy
rookiegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »

OK.  Here's another thing I found about red navel.

"Cara Cara oranges, a type of navel, are also available during the winter months. They are like the familiar Washington navels, but the fruit's interior is dark pink or red".

2004-2nd biopsy
calypso

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:19 AM »

"Grapefruit juice may be the first documented, but apple and orange juices have been also implicated in interfering with etoposide, a chemotherapy drug, some beta blocker drugs used to treat high blood pressure, and cyclosporine, taken by transplant patients to prevent rejection of their new organs."

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »

I accidetally bought some of those soon after my transplant, Rookie, and I wouldn't eat them.  I was too nersous, as well.  My husband ate them and said they tasted just like a orange.  I always look at the signs now when I purchase oranges.   :)    I don't know how they make them, but I'll pass for now.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »

My sisters boyfrined has a fruitstand here in FL selling Plant City strawberries, pumelos and blood oarnges. The blood oarnges are wonderful but they are 18 dollars for 5 lbs. We eat them by the bowlfull. Pumelos- are like a giant grapefruit, wiki shows them as white fleshed- but the ones we get have red flesh also.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
rookiegirl

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »

Received response from our band booster about the red navel oranges.  He contacted the supplier (Florida Fruit Association).  This is what they said:

"This year Florida is experiencing a shortage on Navels.  This is mostly due to weather conditions that hampered the growing season for this variety.  Because of this situation, we have found it necessary to fill orders with the Red Navel Variety.  The only difference between the red navel and a regular navel is color.  They are red inside. The red navel variety is a premium navel that is more expensive than the regular navel."

So I guess it's OK to eat them and not cause a reaction with my medications.

2004-2nd biopsy
fc2821
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »

Received response from our band booster about the red navel oranges.  He contacted the supplier (Florida Fruit Association).  This is what they said:

"This year Florida is experiencing a shortage on Navels.  This is mostly due to weather conditions that hampered the growing season for this variety.  Because of this situation, we have found it necessary to fill orders with the Red Navel Variety.  The only difference between the red navel and a regular navel is color.  They are red inside. The red navel variety is a premium navel that is more expensive than the regular navel."

So I guess it's OK to eat them and not cause a reaction with my medications.

:2thumbsup;

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »

:2thumbsup;    We always had someone in band and for 14 years, we were the ones sorting the fruit orders.  Fun times.  I buy anything the bands or choirs are selling for fundraisers.  Got to support the arts in our schools  :thumbup;   Glad you found the answer to the red oranges!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 03:01:16 AM »

I remember eating "red oranges" many years ago,
I believe they came from Sicily (Trapani region)
& they were not sweet but rather refreshing.

Good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:23 AM »

Since the advent of navel oranges (about 1970 i think) there are fewer and fewer oranged that aren't navel oranges. (they have fewer seeds) Since I started dialysis I haven't eaten one orange. They said don't eat'em so I don't. I drink Sunny D, but they said that Sunny D was OK. It tastes enough like oranges that often I drink too much and I have a problem with fluid. I have no idea what's in it. I have been seeing, reading about. "Blood oranges", but I've never tried them. Kind of like several kinds of beers that have come out since 1990 when I completely quit drinking. I'm curious, but I know that I can't drink any of them. I found out that I was allergic to alcohol. I break out in "spots". Spots like the county jail. I try to adhere to the renal diet. Sometimes, right after dialysis, I may break the rules. (Like I might have a Snickers bar) but mostly I just don't eat what they say don't eat. My numbers are good, so why mess with success?
rookiegirl

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 05:48:25 PM »

Since the advent of navel oranges (about 1970 i think) there are fewer and fewer oranged that aren't navel oranges. (they have fewer seeds) Since I started dialysis I haven't eaten one orange. They said don't eat'em so I don't. I drink Sunny D, but they said that Sunny D was OK. It tastes enough like oranges that often I drink too much and I have a problem with fluid. I have no idea what's in it. I have been seeing, reading about. "Blood oranges", but I've never tried them. Kind of like several kinds of beers that have come out since 1990 when I completely quit drinking. I'm curious, but I know that I can't drink any of them. I found out that I was allergic to alcohol. I break out in "spots". Spots like the county jail. I try to adhere to the renal diet. Sometimes, right after dialysis, I may break the rules. (Like I might have a Snickers bar) but mostly I just don't eat what they say don't eat. My numbers are good, so why mess with success?

Why can't you eat oranges? I've only been told not to eat or drink anything with grapefruits.
I'm allergic to alcohol too.  I can drink 1/2 glass of wine or beer and I don't break out. But anything more than that, I break out in hives and I start to itch like crazy.

2004-2nd biopsy
fc2821
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »

[Why can't you eat oranges? I've only been told not to eat or drink anything with grapefruits.
I'm allergic to alcohol too.  I can drink 1/2 glass of wine or beer and I don't break out. But anything more than that, I break out in hives and I start to itch like crazy.

Oranges are high in potassium.  Potassium is crucial to heart function. high potassium levels can affect the heart rhythm. 

fc2821
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

:oops; I forgot to say, the kidneys measure out chemicals like sodium, phosphorus, and potassium and release them back to the blood to return to the body. In this way, the kidneys regulate the body’s level of these substances.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »