I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Losing fluid after the transplant?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Losing fluid after the transplant?  (Read 1751 times)
lizabee

« on: December 13, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »

I gained about 25 pounds in fluid and have lost 15.  How soon will the rest come off?  Any suggestions on how to get it off?  It's all sitting in my thighs, which is horrible for me.  I used to be heavy and lost a ton of weight, and now am down on myself because I feel fat again.  The docs all assure me that it will come off, I guess I am anzious
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »

It sits in my thighs too - and I haven't had a transplant!!  lol.  Give yourself some time Liz - this is a big thing you've done.  You look beautiful as you are.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »

I'm sure it will be different for everyone, but I'm assuming you're not walking as much as you used to yet.  Once you get up and moving the fluid should redistribute throughout the body.  I had some fluid in my left forearm and it took a few months.  My doctor said it could take up to a year.  Be patient!  You're not back to 100% for a while yet.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
lizabee

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:08:45 AM »

I have lost all but about 2 pounds of the water weight!  I am feeling really good and getting around the house some too.  Thank you to all of you for your continued support and prayers, they are so appreciated!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:14 AM »

Seems like it took forever, didn't it?  With 4 surgeries, I ended up putting on over 60 pounds of fluid.  I felt like a blimp!  They finally gave me a couple of doses of lasix my last few days in the hospital, trying to get my potassium levels down, and that at least gave me ankles again.  I've been losing about a pound a day since then.  I thought I was done, but I've lost weight this week, and it's been my first week back on solid food.  I've been pigging out on cheese and fattening junk food, so if I'm still losing weight, it's got to be more fluid!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Slywalker

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »

You really lost your fluid weight very fast.  You obviously got the super duper kidney!!!!!!

Good hear you are getting around.  ENJOY!!!!!   :2thumbsup;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »