I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ice Finds
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ice Finds  (Read 21678 times)
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »

How does it work? Does it hook up to the sink, or do you load it with water and it shoots out ice?
I would love one. Can you post a pic?  Give us a model number and name?

Here's one I saw at Kohl's webs9te for 189.00$  I WANT ONE!!   :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=271387029&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=4698101&bmUID=1169633823681

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Triker

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 03:16:16 PM »

How does it work? Does it hook up to the sink, or do you load it with water and it shoots out ice?
I would love one. Can you post a pic?  Give us a model number and name?

Here's one I saw at Kohl's webs9te for 189.00$  I WANT ONE!!   :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=271387029&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=4698101&bmUID=1169633823681

That's the one! I have a plastic picher beside my icemaker. A light shows when you need to add water.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2007, 06:58:29 AM »

Has anyone in the UK got an ice -crusher ? ,if you have, could you leave me details please. Seems like because we dont have long hot summers here we dont have the same sort of things that you have abroad! Got an ice -cube tray , but a big lump of ice in your mouth is just not the same  ;)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »

Use a blender to crush it. Or put a few cubes in a baggie and crush them with a meat tenderizor or something like it.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »

Use a blender to crush it. Or put a few cubes in a baggie and crush them with a meat tenderizor or something like it.
Sandman bought me a blender that has the "ice crushing" button (just a speed setting really) but I find that the ice is so hard. Not soft like the ice in dialysis :( Any suggestions??

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »

i think the difference in hard and soft ice is how many minerals are in the water-I have a well and my well ice is cloudy and soft-but if i use bottled water it is clear and very hard.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 10:14:43 PM »

i think the difference in hard and soft ice is how many minerals are in the water-I have a well and my well ice is cloudy and soft-but if i use bottled water it is clear and very hard.
I was thinking of using bottled water. Figured it wouldn't be as hard as my tap water. But now that you said that I am wondering ... so bottled water is hard water?? :( What about if I bought one of those tap filters??

How can I get softer water without access to the building's water heater??

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »

Dude, I want the ice machine maker!  What fun!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2007, 03:28:27 AM »

Yeah i have thought about trying to break up ice cubes , but not really what i am after. We have a drink over here called a slush and the ice is really soft , then a fruit flavour is poured over it , thats the sort of thing i am after!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2007, 05:37:56 AM »

Yeah i have thought about trying to break up ice cubes , but not really what i am after. We have a drink over here called a slush and the ice is really soft , then a fruit flavour is poured over it , thats the sort of thing i am after!
Yes YES YES!!! That is what I am after too! But without going to the local 7-11 and buying a Slushee!! They are too large and sometimes are made with pop with Phosphate :(  I want my own ice that is like a Slushee at home!!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Triker

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2007, 10:30:35 AM »

The ice from my countertop icemaker is clear and somewhat hard when it is first frozen. The ice falls in a wire basket. It isn't refridgerated, it's insulated like an ice chest, so as it melts, the water is recycled and makes new ice. The old ice becomes cloudy and is soft. Perfect to crunch on!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »

I was thinking of using bottled water. Figured it wouldn't be as hard as my tap water. But now that you said that I am wondering ... so bottled water is hard water??  What about if I bought one of those tap filters??

I think you have it backwards--the water that comes out of my well- its 'hard' water--even though its what makes the softer ice-its full of minerals,its actually sulfur water if you know what that is, you can actually smell the iron and sulfur..

water that goes through our filtration system is treated with chlorine,run through charcol-then goes through an osmosis filter to become 'soft' water which makes the hardest ice.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2007, 08:24:01 PM »

as I read these replies, I think of a song I knew word for word when I was in high school

Vanilla Ice , "Ice Ice Baby"  :D

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »

I have well water that is horrible.
It is black sulphur.  Smells bad, tastes bad.
Always buy water.  Have had to replace copper plumbing with plastic.
I replace things often that water goes thru.  It is terrible!
Has broken down water equiopment, softeners, chlorinators, etc.
I'd like to have a portable ice maker as I don't use one from fridge
because of the lousy water.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »

My latest addiction - half frozen ice cubes from my freezer.  I like them when the air bubble is still moving in the unfrozen water inside the cube, but there's enough ice on the outside to hold it all together until I bite down.  Then there is a wonderful gush of icy water around all the shards on my tongue.

Ahhh, I'm so tired of being denied the simplest things.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2007, 03:12:02 AM »

I was thinking of using bottled water. Figured it wouldn't be as hard as my tap water. But now that you said that I am wondering ... so bottled water is hard water??  What about if I bought one of those tap filters??

I think you have it backwards--the water that comes out of my well- its 'hard' water--even though its what makes the softer ice-its full of minerals,its actually sulfur water if you know what that is, you can actually smell the iron and sulfur..

water that goes through our filtration system is treated with chlorine,run through charcol-then goes through an osmosis filter to become 'soft' water which makes the hardest ice.
Well all I know is my water is hard and tastes like shit :( and when we made ice using my new blender it was hard to chew and nothing like the ice at my dialysis center. I live in a city of 200,000 people so water here comes from the Detriot River which is very poluted and goes through a water treatment plant and then into our pipes.

Ahhh, I'm so tired of being denied the simplest things.
Me too! Especially when summer times comes here!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:15:09 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »