I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 02:27:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Changes, for the NOT so good!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changes, for the NOT so good!  (Read 6060 times)
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« on: November 25, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »

I don't even know where to start. I loved my unit but this past month and a half things have change. I DONT LIKE IT!!!!!

I think the title is FA, Facility Administrator, the head nurse in charge. Anyways, it all started when our FA quit because she moved out of state.

So we got a new one, who is apparently anal about things and has to follow protocol to an exact "T". I swear she has a bug or a stick up her bum!

After she took over the whole atmosphere of the unit has changed. It use to be a fun, friendly environment and now it's a stuffy hell hole. Sorry, I'm a bit over

dramatic but I'm very unhappy with the changes.

Last month the meds nurse or w/e her title was, was fired in the middle of her shift. I was p/oed. She was a great nurse and cared about the patients. I guess she

wasn't following the newly installed protocols to an exact "T" and so she was let go. This month we lost another 2 nurses. One got a better job offer. Of course Duh

-Vita wouldn't match the job offer, so she left. The other nurse just walked out in the middle of her shift.  :'( Now there is only one original nurse left from when I

started. Once she leaves, I'm out of there also.  I don't like the feeling of the unit anymore.

After all the patients are put on each shift, the lights above the chairs were shut off. No biggy right? WRONG!!! The new FA says we cant have the lights off

anymore. I don't get it, there's enough light in the unit. Just the ones above the patients are turned off. Apparently its a hazard. BS!!!! You know when the nurse

tears the pieces of tape to hold your needles in place. Then puts the strips on the tray/table by your chair. They are breaking protocol by doing that. First, they

have to put the strips on their hand then they can put them on your tray/table. Now please tell me what the point of that is. The strips get stuck to each other

and then time is wasted by peeling the strips of tape apart. Valuable time....VALUABLE TIME is wasted. Our on times are being pushed later and later. Oh, we have

no ice machine. Just thought I'd throw that in. This is the first unit I've ever been to that didn't have an ice machine. Whats up with that? My throat gets dry

sometimes. I want some damn ice! These changes have also affected the dietitian. She would bring a snack once every couple of months. You would think she

would bring something for the holidays too. Nothing, nothing at all. She didn't bring anything for Halloween or Thanksgiving. Now I know its up to the discretion of

the dietitian if she wants to bring a treat for the patients. She is a great woman, very caring and I know she likes bringing stuff. You can tell on the look on her face

when she brought stuff in the past. So I asked her today why we didn't get a treat the past 2 holidays. Her answer blew my mind. She said it was because she

brought treats "too often". Now she has to cut back. Pffftt.... You have to be kidding me, once every couple of months is "too often"?!?! I don't by it, our new FA

has something to do with this. I'm going to have all the patients mutiny against the FA. Then we'll have her take a long walk off a short pier. Better yet, just whack

some sense into her. :Kit n Stik;

:rant;

Thanks for letting me get that out.

~Robert

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »

Sounds like you have lots of reason to rant!!! OMG!

Sounds more like a prison.  :thumbdown;

What a disappointment for you.

I'm so sorry.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »

I don't blame you for wanting out of that place! It does indeed sound like prison.

Sorry you have to put up with all of this. Perhaps you should investigate other centers now, and beat the mad rush out of there.

Take care and good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »

Sh*t, I would not like to be in your unit, shall we all get together and give her a push out the door. I hope it will get better for you all, sounds a bit doubtful though.   :Kit n Stik;
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »

Tubes I am sorry that your unit is a suckin, if it sucked from the first you wouldn't miss what you don't know, but to lose something so good is hard.  O must say tho that at least where you are you have other units to pick from, here its oh well to bad you get what you get , I will be thinking of you Tubes :)

http://www.kimhoben.com
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »

Good news!  All new management personnel feel they have to made changes -- thus make a mark.  Hang  in if it suits you as it is sure to change  back.  I've found that the inmates usuallyl set the tone eventually.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:48:54 AM by dwcrawford » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
tubes

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »

Thank You! Im gonna stick it out until Anoka leaves. Then all the original nurses from when I started will be gona.  :'(

Will definately NOT go to another Davita unit. I really miss my old Fresinius unit. I think Omaha has DaVita, DCi and RAI available to choose from.  ;D

~Robert

p.s. HAPPY TURKEY DAY ! ! !

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

AGAIN
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »

I have seen changes in units over the passed eleven years. It can get real gross sometimes. I wish you luck in your mutiny. I find writing a written missive to whomever is in charge about things I do not like or have concerns about works great.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tubes

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »

Today, I think I might of stuck "one foot in the grave". (or w/e that saying is)

One of the new nurses asked me how I was doing this morning. I told her, Not so good. So of course she asked what was wrong.  >:D Huge, mischievous grin comes

across my face and I say, Can you get rid of Janette? Janette is the new FA. So yea, I just gauranteed that Janette is going to talk to me. Which is a good thing.....I

think. I will tell her how I feel about the changes if she talks to me about what I said. Otherwise, I'd be too chicken to tell her what I think.

Monday might be an interesting day.

She can't tell me I have to leave the unit just because I dont like her? Can she?

~Robert

AGAIN
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »

Oh tubes, You've done it now, I bet you can not wait till Monday. :Kit n Stik; There will be blunt needles, you will be put on last, oh what have you started. Look forward to your post Monday. :bandance; :bandance;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

hmm this is starting to remind me of the "dismissed patient in texas" thread AND a recent kidney talk that covered the issue of people getting kicked out of dialysis units....

no Tubes, I don't think you can (or should) get kicked out for saying that or even writing a complaint letter about the changes.. though the problem is you MAY get marked as non compliant (or some other b/s black mark) which could count against you down the track (stupid I know, but I wouldn't put that kind of thing beyond some types of people).

Remember when/if you do talk to the FA to try and always be polite and not too emotive with arguments or get personal about anyone. State facts (eg: "I really feel we should have an ice machine because I, for one, get a dry mouth during treatment and some ice would be beneficial. I know many other units have them" or "In the past we had the lights above our chairs turned off once we were put on. This would help us rest or sleep o even watch TV better. I understand that this is seen to be a safety issue, but can we come to some kind of compromise here? Perhaps that those that specifically request the light off can have it and the others are left on?" so try and provide reasonable arguments and suggestions to back up what you're saying. She may not listen or shoot you down, but I think if you're polite (must... control... fist... of.. death!!  >:D) and reasoned it can't hurt.

Having said that your unit sounds horrible now - and the sharp turnover in staff should be a clear indication of such. I'd be tempted to write to higher-ups in davita (over and above the FA) citing the large turnover in staff and the lowering of patient morale since the changes have been made. If you get nowhere with talking to the FA indicate as such in writing that you've mad what you feel to be reasonable requests and your concerns haven't been addressed to your satisfaction. Something like that.

I wish you luck... I read stuff like that and am again greatful for the wonderful staff and unit I am in that are pretty casual with most things (just yesterday they were trying to decide who should work the new year's eve shift so we could share a glass of bubbly!! LOL )

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
tubes

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »

Oh Billybags, my nurses in all the clinics I've been in have threatened to use rusty blunt needles on me.  :rofl; I just have a way with people.  >:D  :sir ken;  >:D

RichardMel, thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, I'm not one for subtlety. Either I'll blurt out how I feel, completely close up or lie. So when the FA does talk to me, it's probably not gonna turn out so great.  :(
I'm going to try my darnedest to maintain my composure and follow your advice.  :pray;
I want to go to your unit now Richard, to have a glass of bubbly with you. cheers  :beer1; (will beer do)

~Robert

AGAIN
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »

Good for you Tubes for taking a stand. get em!  :boxing;  he he  let us know how it goes.
tubes

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »

Wow, the FA didn't show up at all this week.  I'm a bit disappointed. I'm sure she will be there Monday.

Until then....

~Robert

AGAIN
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »

Love seeing you and Susie!!     Hope you get a chance to see the FA on Monday.   Take Kitkatz's big stick with you    :Kit n Stik;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
tubes

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »

Jinette (FA) was there Friday but it was hectic so I didnt get to talk to her.

I found out something new about Jinette.  I'm not sure if it's as bad as I'm wanting to believe. Jinette our FA is the FA of 4 DaVita units. What I have just found out...She is a dietician ACTING as FA of 4 DaVita units.  :banghead;  :banghead;  :banghead; So can anyone just be an FA? Is there training involved? I don't get it.

Now Im definately going to talk to someone higher up about her. I dont want a dietcian in charge. Especially of 4 units. Spreading a bit thin I think. I hope I'm not blowing this out of proportion.

AGAIN
MissyKew

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 06:25:18 AM »

I wouldn't be happy with a dietician in charge of my unit.  We have a nurse in charge, as it should be.  I can imagine the law suits if something should go terribly wrong in your unit.  By the way, I would be keeping dated notes on all this.  Paper trails are important.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 03:53:33 PM »

Tubes, I would shoot a question/pm over to nursewratchet about the FA. She runs her unit very well.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012